U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-18-2010, 07:20 PM

8,269 posts, read 21,872,064 times

Advertisements

She absolutely should not be looking into them. Period. You really do NOT know what you are talking about in this situation. Unless she expects her struggling 4th grader is aspiring to be a possibly violent, drug dealing, gang banger with a rap sheet a mile long and pregnant.
Your Master's in Education is not a Masters in WCPSS and no amount of internet research you do is going to prepare you for the reality of the way the school system here works and insider knowledge of specific schools.

Last edited by lamishra; 01-18-2010 at 07:32 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-18-2010, 07:22 PM

11,151 posts, read 13,826,763 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by librarySue View Post
What I said was: she should look into them. Sometimes when we are trying to assure ourselves we are on the right track we need to look at all the options to eliminate what is not right for us.

The OP knows her dd's IEP better than we do. It is within the realm of the possible that her child could be tracked into one of those schools. (and if she is, you've just dissed it with no apologies to those who have made the hard choice to send kids there) She might feel better if she looks at these and says "Sheesh, my girl might need extra help but she sure won't need this!"

Nor did I suggest that she buy in any particular neighborhood based on a desired HS. That was not implied anywhere in my posts. My suggestion was based on the assumption that she was intelligent enough to read the info provided by WCPSS: understand the Magnet program, the constant redistricting and the Alternative school and use that info as she sees fit.
As a teacher, I have to agree with those who say that the best information will come from the people who have first-hand experience with specific schools. I've worked at schools that, on paper (or, more correctly, on "website") sounded terrific -- yet they were, in reality, terrible.

Yes, do your online research, it's an important place to start. However, websites don't tell the whole story, so keep on asking questions of -- and listening to -- people "in the know."

Old 01-18-2010, 07:31 PM

4,529 posts, read 7,062,869 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark of the Moon View Post
As a teacher, I have to agree with those who say that the best information will come from the people who have first-hand experience with specific schools. I've worked at schools that, on paper (or, more correctly, on "website") sounded terrific -- yet they were, in reality, terrible.

Yes, do your online research, it's an important place to start. However, websites don't tell the whole story, so keep on asking questions of -- and listening to -- people "in the know."
Thank you! We have the voice of reason and some balance - finally! You heard it from a teacher.

Old 01-19-2010, 08:31 AM

997 posts, read 4,169,000 times
onehappylady1
How is your daughter struggling? How is it that her current school is not meeting her needs? This would be helpful. You said he received help when school was out. Did she have a tutor?

I've been a parent for many years. Oldest one is almost 20 and the youngest is 6. One has ADHD. Regardless of this I found that the only way to really know if a school is right for your child is too experience it firsthand unfortunately. Moving is costly and stressful. I wouldn't want to do this to take a chance that another public school might or might not be better.

With my children who have special needs I found that schools with very very small class sizes and a few teachers worked best. It doesn't need to be a special needs school. I found even with an IEP in public schools that children shut down and get overwhelmed in a larger class. Inclusion didn't help because they were still in the larger class. Pull out really didn't give them the ample time they needed. They just needed to be in a small classroom where they could focus better. The teachers could easily monitor them because of the few students and they could easily redirect them if necessary. They could help a student on the spot without having to find out after a poor or failing grade that they are not understanding the work. This worked for us. This might not be what your daughter needs.

Try the tutor route again. You won't have to move and you could see if the one on one individual attention and help can be beneficial. I would suggest more than 1x week. I would then try looking into a private school with a small class size. I know that these options are expensive. I don't know your financial situation so it might or might not be possible. I also don't mean to tell you what to do but it seems like the public school option isn't working for you and you were seeking some sort of guidance or you wouldn't have posted.

Your original question. Wake County doesn't have any special needs programs that I know of for you daughter except those alternative schools WHICH YOU DON'T WANT or else I would have tried for my son. Every school has to accept your daughter's IEP and provide services just like she's receiving now that's why I am skeptical that another public school is going to be the answer.

Good luck.

Old 01-19-2010, 08:59 AM

1,106 posts, read 2,961,119 times
I would defiently look into ways you can help her at home and see what works, wehther it is tutoring, rewards, or whatever. The school has to follow the IEP but I will tell you this. A lot of times some of the things are pushed to the wayside. Elementary is alittle easier b/c teachers deal with smaller populations, but in middle and high schools where the teacher sees over a hundred students. Honestly as a teacher it gets hard to remeber who has what accomidations, who needs extra time, seperate seating, mark in book. There are so many accomidations out there it ain't funny. Let the school do what they can do with the IEP and if that doesn't work then look into different schools or start trying things at home.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary