U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-21-2010, 08:54 PM

1 posts, read 1,384 times

Advertisements

I am an Electrical Engineer who grew up in South East Raleigh. It is a fine area, very large. Of course there are a few small undesireable spots, but 90% of South East Raleigh is very normal, only a different culture. Just becaue most of the residents are African-American don't automatically mean "this is the bad part of town" like ignorant people say. That is a sterio-typical statement coming from people who cant even think of 5 Black people they know. I would say get with a realtor and let them educate you on whats really there for you.
Quick reply to this message

Old 09-22-2010, 04:16 AM

5,989 posts, read 7,368,595 times
27610 has a little bit of everything. I lived out in the Shotwell area of 27610 and loved it. I grew up and went to school in 27610. My mom and brother still live in 27610. They have never had any problems, and would never consider leaving the area.

Old 09-22-2010, 07:40 AM

804 posts, read 1,746,774 times
i'm a 27610 resident, living just OTB. we love the proximity of our neighborhood to downtown, knightdale, & garner (all within 10-15 minutes of us). like many have said, 27610 is a huge zip that covers the gamut of housing values & crime rates, just like every other zip. i wouldn't discount the entire zip code because of crime rates as there are pockets of crime everywhere in every zip code.

we don't have kids so i can't testify as to the school system.

Old 09-22-2010, 08:11 AM

240 posts, read 546,059 times
Like Walk43 said there is not a lot of diversity in most of the 27610 neighborhoods. We looked for a house for the past 4 months and I can honestly say our realtor told us the only zip code she would advise us against was 27610. If you do some research you will find there are golf course communities that are now riddled with foreclosures, short sales the whole nine, and that's in the "nice" communities. Just my 2 cents but I would stay away from the Auburn-Knightdale road area and anything near Jones Sausage, Rock Quarry, etc. Like other posters have said the SE side of Raleigh is the least desirable side. If you want more house for less $$ I think you'd be better off in Clayton, Fuquay, Apex, or Holly Springs.

Old 09-22-2010, 10:31 AM

4,529 posts, read 7,038,627 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wraunch View Post
Like Walk43 said there is not a lot of diversity in most of the 27610 neighborhoods. We looked for a house for the past 4 months and I can honestly say our realtor told us the only zip code she would advise us against was 27610. If you do some research you will find there are golf course communities that are now riddled with foreclosures, short sales the whole nine, and that's in the "nice" communities. Just my 2 cents but I would stay away from the Auburn-Knightdale road area and anything near Jones Sausage, Rock Quarry, etc. Like other posters have said the SE side of Raleigh is the least desirable side. If you want more house for less $$ I think you'd be better off in Clayton, Fuquay, Apex, or Holly Springs.
Your realtor is a ninny if they said to stay away from here and yet helped you buy in Garner. I'm sorry, Garner is no higher on the totem pole. You talk like someone new to the area who knows nothing of the history of our areas and fell for misinformation.

We have some very nice family neighborhoods in 27610. Great amenities, excellent location - in 20 mins or less I can be in Cary, downtown Ral, North Hills, Wake Forest, Airport. We have a skate park, a rustic, rural park, farms - incl a organic co-op, the Neuse River, Ice Rink, and a host of other amenities.

Foreclosures are everywhere and every price point. I would expect that when the economy goes sour, that lower to mid income individuals will suffer disproportionately. So yes, in newer neighborhoods with price points of $160k-$250k, I'd expect to see more. And, many are first time homeowners, some the first in their family to own a home, again another reason for potential issues. Consider too, junk mortages were widely available for these new homes, allowing folks to buy with little down, easier to walk away from.

Hate to tell you, Jones Sausage was always considered a Garner rd. In fact, it runs into Old Garner Rd from Rock Quarry which is the southern end of 27610!

As for your euphemism of "not a lot of diversity", I'm not sure what you mean but it sounds like you are delicately saying there are a lot of African Americans, not many whites or others. For an African American person looking to live around people who look like them, this is a good thing. For a white person, either they are over that nonsense or it bothers them to be in the minority. Either way, there are neighborhoods here to suit all needs Some mixed, some majority one race or another. My neighborhood is mixed AA and white, and we have other nationalities, I can tell you, we are in this together! We all want the same- good health, secure lifestyle, educated children, happiness. Many of my neighbors are like family to me. I would drop anything, anytime if they needed me and I know it would be reciprocated. My youngest child has had the advantage of growing up here in a rather old fashioned way as the neighborhood is well designed for kids to play and be out on their own. Many bike to the store or park. We all look out for each other's kids.

There are some great family neighborhoods here. Please don't disparage an area you have no experience with other than driving around looking at houses. I've lived in Garner, N. and W Raleigh and inside the beltline. This area has by far, offered me the best location, price and amenities. I may have to move due to work, I will have pay at least $100k more for the same conveniences and amenities.

Old 09-22-2010, 07:00 PM

171 posts, read 371,236 times
Yikes. That's some bad info.

Hopefully you understand many people on this board live in 27610 and love where they live. We're either part of a diabolical plan to lure you in or it's exactly what some of us are looking for; yet another great place to live in the Triangle (my favorite, that's why I choose to live here).

To those moving to Wake County, if your realtor says "don't move to zip 2xxxx"...they don't know enough about the local housing market.

There are lots of great realtors, many on this board. Plenty of options. When you work with a realtor that blocks off entire parts of the region, you're hurting yourself.

Quote:

Old 09-23-2010, 07:36 AM

240 posts, read 546,059 times
Trust me I know that area. I grew up in Garner, that's why I didn't buy in Garner. Don't get me wrong I love Garner but I also recognize it is not a great real estate market and people seem to look down on the schools in my experience. As far as the diversity part, let's not sugar coat it. When I say a lack of diversity I absolutely meant that there are a number of neighborhoods that are 95% AA. That is a lack of diversity. I want a good mix of multiple races/cultures, ages, people with and without kids, etc. I have lived in Charlotte for 10 years and that is what I prefer. Over the 5 months or so I have looked for a new house I can tell you most of the same houses in River Ridge and the surrounding communities that were for sale in May are still on the market, only now they are priced 10-30% less. Like I said just my 2 cents. If you're looking for houses in the area and are wondering why a certain area seems to be priced cheaper per sq foot there is probably a reason. I recommend you drive the communities at different times of the day and on different days of the week to get a fair opinion of a given area.

Old 09-23-2010, 09:28 AM

106 posts, read 149,399 times
Quote:
. I want a good mix of multiple races/cultures, ages, people with and without kids, etc
Where in Raleigh are these type of neighborhoods?

Old 09-23-2010, 10:08 AM

4,529 posts, read 7,038,627 times
Quote:
Trust me I know that area. I grew up in Garner, that's why I didn't buy in Garner. Don't get me wrong I love Garner but I also recognize it is not a great real estate market and people seem to look down on the schools in my experience. As far as the diversity part, let's not sugar coat it. When I say a lack of diversity I absolutely meant that there are a number of neighborhoods that are 95% AA. That is a lack of diversity. I want a good mix of multiple races/cultures, ages, people with and without kids, etc. I have lived in Charlotte for 10 years and that is what I prefer. Over the 5 months or so I have looked for a new house I can tell you most of the same houses in River Ridge and the surrounding communities that were for sale in May are still on the market, only now they are priced 10-30% less. Like I said just my 2 cents. If you're looking for houses in the area and are wondering why a certain area seems to be priced cheaper per sq foot there is probably a reason. I recommend you drive the communities at different times of the day and on different days of the week to get a fair opinion of a given area.
When I lived in Garner for 1 year, I couldn't wait to get out. I found it to be the most provincial race/nationality phobic place I've ever experienced. The level of ignorance in the comments I heard from white adults and children made my skin crawl. I felt like I was stuck in a pergatorial time warp. I imagine it has changed with people moving there from other areas/states.

So when you bashed 27610, and my experience between this and Garner was like night v's day, I was stunned that you would say the whole zip code should be ignored.

I'm glad we got down to brass tacks, you removed the sugar coating from your earlier comments. I vaguely know the area you mentioned, is it the southern end of the zip, around Rock Quarry/Poole, not far from Sunnybrook? Yes, as I mentioned in my previous post, some neighborhoods are more one race than a mix, and some neighborhoods a true mix such as the ones in the northern end of the zip and some of the more pricey homes bordering Knightdale. So there's something for everyone. No matter where a neighborhood is or the race of its residents, if most homeowners are first timers, or first in their family, they tend to be less aware of their impact on other neighbors such as with noise, kids, where they park their cars, how often they cut their grass. Of course I;m generalizing. They tend to have the mentality of doing whatever they want, who cares about the neighbors or if their actions detract from the neighborhood as they don't know any better. So no matter their race, nobody wants them as a neighbor. There are some neighborhoods like this along Poole Rd/Rock Quarry closer to town.

I have looked at investment properties throughout Raleigh and its suburbs. I found many pockets in so called, highly sought after areas, including Cary, that looked like the worse for wear areas of 27610. Most zips have this. Conversely I have seen neighborhoods that didn't look as nice as some in '10, they didn't have the amenities, their schools weren't better nor the location, but they were selling for significantly more. I've lived here long enough to understand why certain areas are valued more than others, aka "Location, Location, Location".

As for you seeing homes for sale for months - yep, I can see why some wouldn't sell as quickly but you cannot apply this rule to the entire zip. Again, consider that homes that are priced for first time homeowners or someone wanting to live modestly will be purchased by folks who don't often have equity they can roll into a new home, therefore financing may be harder for them to obtain. Thus, it takes longer to find a qualified buyer for the home. However, this isn't always the reason, I have one house in Wake Forest and one in Cary I have my eye on, they have been on the market for longer!

While what you've said is based on your observation, I would say that you are no expert on this zip and you insult the people who live here, me included when you disparage the entire area. As you've said, you have lived in Charlotte for 10 years, not in this zip.

I still say this area has some bargains for folks who don't want to pay a ton for a house and want a great location. I have lived in this location for 10 yrs and can sit on my porch and watch the blue heron and ducks on the pond, and can safely walk to a nice park or shops or have the local farmer deliver fresh eggs and produce.

Ok, 'nuff said, I'm done with this

Old 09-23-2010, 08:28 PM

542 posts, read 1,334,354 times
I have lived in Northwest Raleigh, Five Points, and now East Downtown Raleigh (behind Enloe) and I have been here for four years. In the short amount of time that I have been here, many people that I know (in their 20's and 30's) have bought homes in surrounding neighborhoods and general consensus is that this is a safe area that is close to downtown and on the upswing. I'm happy here and I know a lot of other people that are happy here too.

Mike
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary