U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Easter!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-18-2010, 09:06 PM

36,437 posts, read 41,768,016 times

Advertisements

we currently have verizon family plan and have 4 people in the family on this plan but in the past 6 or 7 months alot has changed. DH's company pays for his blackberry so he doesn't even carry the family phone. He is over 65. We are cutting our kids off of free phone service and need to pick the best plan for me. We could get the senior service in DH's name and just one phone for me or we could get a prepaid phone for my meager (35-45 minutes per month).
We do have a land line because I use fax for business alot.
I understand the cell phone companies are in the middle of a price war now and I'm not sure which phone would be best for basically 1 user. Any recommendations?
We did alot of research about 3 weeks ago but now I can't find my notes and things have changed since then anyway.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-19-2010, 05:45 AM

5,359 posts, read 15,080,450 times
My wife and I are in a similar situation. I get free service from the company that I work for, and my wife carries a cell phone for minimal usage. She probably does less than 30 minutes per month.

We have a land line for normal calling. If we need to call long distance, we use my cell phone. We have her on a prepaid account with AT&T. We can get the cards at our grocery store, so it's very convenient. When she first signed up, we ordered her the free cell phone that came with the plan, and then we just tossed it in a drawer. I was able to get her a nicer new phone from work.

Old 01-19-2010, 05:53 AM

7,136 posts, read 10,692,605 times
For minimal use the Tracfone works very well. You can buy a one year card, which is 400 minutes, for one hundred dollars. If you need more minutes than than that look for a phone that comes with a doubler card and you get double the minutes for the life of the phone, in the one year card case that's 800 minutes for one hundred dollars. That's what I did. I bought a twenty dollar phone that included the doubler card and then bought the one year of service card. You can't beat 800 minutes for one hundred dollars and as long as you renew on time the minutes you don't use carry over to the next year. I doubt that I'll ever use all of my minutes. I hope this helps you.

Old 01-19-2010, 08:23 AM

6,185 posts, read 13,873,680 times
I have a Tracfone, too. Basic phone.

My husband is on the Cricket plan, which he needs for work, and it's relatively inexpensive. The only downside to Cricket is limited coverage when you go outside the area. (I don't know the detials.)

Old 01-19-2010, 03:00 PM

407 posts, read 1,131,584 times
another vote for TracFone. I've been using them for years. I use about 800 minutes per year, which is plenty for me - I get emails around my renewal time each year with special deals (and bought one double minutes card) and never pay more than $100 for a year's worth of service.

Old 01-20-2010, 04:26 AM

162 posts, read 349,540 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by no kudzu View Post
we currently have verizon family plan and ,,, in the past 6 or 7 months alot has changed...
If you mean with Verizon, then I REALLY agree; we came from Alltell (and had 10+ years with them) in the merger and I have never seen a faster or more comprehensive "consumer merger rip off execution" in my life than this has been; even Verizon employees can't tell us where the mysterious charges that appear on our bills have come from (but they do give us credit for them); and the net is that even after the credits and mistakes, due to "different usage reporting" our bills have significantly increased (with the same actual usage patterns) since the merger. Yet another great giant corporation move benefiting the US citizen...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary