U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Easter!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-19-2010, 11:33 AM

869 posts, read 2,603,200 times

Advertisements

The meetup.com suggestion that was made above is a great resource........there will definitely be folks with your interests and other parameters available to enjoy time with.

Good luck!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-19-2010, 11:57 AM

1,356 posts, read 3,472,088 times
It sounds like you are leaning towards Charlotte. I'd only advise that if you want to live in Charlotte, don't move here thinking you'll find exactly what you would find there. I prefer Raleigh, but the two are different so I'd choose whichever one caters more towards your interests and lifestyle. We have many things to do besides movies, malls, and restaurants. The summertime is loaded with free concerts at various locations with all types of music, outdoor movies, etc. There are activities in all seasons, but this warm weather has me summer focused .

Old 01-19-2010, 01:51 PM

494 posts, read 1,194,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IvyGurl08 View Post
@samdan, eloyfan, aspe4-I guess I should rephrase my question. I like all types of music (alternative, pop, r&b, rap, salsa/merenge', jazz, country, etc.), rock climb, art, poetry, football, karaoke, wine, bowling, etc. So when I say activities for for African-Americans I'm not necessarily saying, we do different activities, but just some cultural aspects that I could identitfy with this group. Just to throw out one example, Historically Black Sororities/Fraternities (Graduate Chapters, etc.)

Also, my concern is that I hear Raleigh, NC has a lot of opportunities for Young Professionals (all backgrounds, but especially there has been some talk about good opportunities for african american professionals, i.e. black enterprise magazine), but I did not see that aspect or "buzz" when visiting the city. Not trying to compare the city to Charlotte, but I have seen that Charlotte has advertisements promoting activities catered towards this group. (i.e. playdate, parties, poetry nights, singles activities, etc.) I just don't want to move to another city that all there is to do is go to the movies, mall & out to eat every weekend. I can agree with the other posters that say, people are nice,friendly & mingle with one another regardless of ethnic group, which is great- you do not find that in every city.
Gotcha! Both places would fit the bill I think.I'm partial to Charlotte,but what do I know I'm going back to Arizona.lol.Best of luck.

Old 01-19-2010, 01:55 PM

2,872 posts, read 4,966,642 times
Personally I'd rather see more mingling of people of different backgrounds and other qualities rather than sticking to traditional groups. I want my daughter growing up knowing and respecting all cultures and people, not just people like us. We have play days at our house on Thursdays and there are lots of different "types" of people there...Hispanic, American, Asian, etc. That's exactly how it SHOULD be.

Old 01-19-2010, 03:04 PM

44 posts, read 83,544 times
@RDUBiker- I completely agree! My family was in the military & they have lived in many different areas of the US and overseas so I have grown up to accept people from all different cultures & backgrounds. Not to mention, I have members of my family who are not of african american descent, but of other cultural backgrounds. Diversity is great!

Old 01-19-2010, 04:45 PM

6,185 posts, read 13,858,163 times
My 10-year-old Asian grandchild had a birthday party not long ago. In attendance: Asian, Caucasian, Middle Eastern, Hispanic, and African-American children -- all of them his friends from school.

After the recent school board decision to dump the diversity policies, it makes me wonder what the future holds.

(But I understand the OP's desire to -- also -- be part of a vibrant community of others who share her cultural background.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by RDUBiker View Post
Personally I'd rather see more mingling of people of different backgrounds and other qualities rather than sticking to traditional groups. I want my daughter growing up knowing and respecting all cultures and people, not just people like us. We have play days at our house on Thursdays and there are lots of different "types" of people there...Hispanic, American, Asian, etc. That's exactly how it SHOULD be.

Old 01-19-2010, 06:17 PM

10,724 posts, read 20,162,287 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RDUBiker View Post

You're never going to completely see that. Sure, you might see it in the work place but in general people like to be with "their own kind".

I work in a predomiantly white male career but often interact with a predomiantly black workforce. There are HUGE cultural differences between blacks and whites (mexicans and asians not so much but they are still there) and I can almost guarantee the things whites like are not the same (in general) that blacks like. A prime example is music and clothes, but it doesn't stop there.

IMO the CLT area would be better off for "african americans" such as the OP. I say this just because of the vipe I get from visiting (I have family there and we go often, once every few weeks). But I'm not black and haven't lived there, so I really don't know.

If the OP wasn't interested in clubbing Raleigh is probably better for the professional/family folks, it is much more borning and offers less in the form of clubs/events etc. My neighbor is a black mother and daughter who are both lawyers - they moved from CLT.

Old 01-19-2010, 07:21 PM

1,074 posts, read 2,824,706 times
I think you'll like it here! The meetup groups are really good, actually. I was pretty suspicious of them, but two of the three I've tried have stuck.

Old 01-19-2010, 08:56 PM

1,336 posts, read 2,698,627 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wheelsup View Post

I work in a predomiantly white male career
I thought you moved down here to open a Pizza place. Am I confusing you with someone else? EDIT> Ooops, I was confusing you with twowheelman. Kinda makes this post pointless, but I'll leave it up, I'm still dying to know what your career is...

And I'm racking my brain trying to think of what your career could possibly be, unless you are a professional downhill skier, or you are getting paid to be a bad dancer. (seriously, I'm drawing a blank on what your career might be)

Old 01-19-2010, 09:08 PM

10,724 posts, read 20,162,287 times
Nope not me. Although I did work at Pizza Hut in high school and make my own pizza these days. Don't ask for statistics I don't know what percentage of my industry is white male but it's high. Like 90% high.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary