U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Easter!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 01-19-2010, 08:11 PM
 
6,185 posts, read 13,852,309 times
Reputation: 4456

Advertisements

Air traffic controllers? Pilot?

Quote:
Originally Posted by wheelsup View Post
Nope not me. Although I did work at Pizza Hut in high school and make my own pizza these days. Don't ask for statistics I don't know what percentage of my industry is white male but it's high. Like 90% high.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 01-19-2010, 08:14 PM
 
10,717 posts, read 20,145,414 times
Reputation: 9867
Close...pilot

There's actually a lot more women in ATC it seems over the past few years it seems.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-20-2010, 10:48 AM
 
Location: Sunny Sandy Ego
455 posts, read 961,221 times
Reputation: 240
If you want diversity and openmindedness, with lots of entertainment and activities, I'd recommend checking out Asheville or Carrboro. If you want a more professional setting, downtown Raleigh is your best bet.

BTW, I'm an asian married to a southern belle living in a historically black area/street in southwest Durham. I love the area. But I do have to say that many of my African-American friends love Charlotte, probably because they are in the business/banking profession.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-20-2010, 12:43 PM
 
Location: Cary, NC
116 posts, read 285,478 times
Reputation: 56
Hey hey!!

Some of the things you mentioned that you like...we definately do. Meetup is a wonderful start. I went to a wine tasting that one of your sorors (AKA I assume) organized the other night. So there are gradchapters here.

If you are here in May, we can go to the Chrisette Michelle concert =) I am still looking for someone (other than my husband) to go with me.

I feel like a lot of things that go to charlotte (concerts and plays) also come here. It is nice to have Durham nearby as there are plenty to do between the two (imcluding Playdate). There is plenty of spoken word (poerty slams) and other things that I think you would like.

I think you would enjoy both Charlotte and Raleigh, as both have its strengths. Feel free to message me and I can put you in contact with some folks if you have additional questions =D
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-21-2010, 12:51 PM
 
1 posts, read 1,885 times
Reputation: 11
I live in Charlotte and I would say Charlotte is fun only if you are a fun person. Events are not going to land in your lap unless you research them. Also, when you go out most of the people do not dance and would rather network or stare at each others. If you are already coming from a boring city Charlotte will be fine but if you are moving from a major city you will be miserable. I have fun because I decide to. That's my take on Charlotte. If I were you I would try Raleigh it seems a bit more diverse.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-01-2010, 01:22 PM
 
59 posts, read 173,826 times
Reputation: 17
I think that you have to really detail what you are seeking in order to get the right response (music, religion, foods, shopping) that offer you opportunities and experiences you want or have now and want to continue with in the South.
I would list the activities you are interested in engaging and see who responds. That is what I am doing as I plan to leave this small town in SC for a better experience a little bit further north in Raleigh and if not there, I seek elsewhere. Good luck!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-02-2010, 06:35 PM
 
Location: Raleigh, NC
58 posts, read 129,227 times
Reputation: 26
Quote:
"You're never going to completely see that. Sure, you might see it in the work place but in general people like to be with "their own kind"
I completely disagree with that. I am from NY and my family is completely mixed. We are puerto rican, native american, african american, Italian, Irish and you see that ALL OVER NY. Unfortunately down here, it is mainly black, white and mexican. Def not diverse at all, so I see why you would say that. To answer your question, in Raleigh, the races pretty much keep themselves separate so you will prob have no problem finding "African American" activities. (whatever that is) This is a beautiful place to live, hopefully we can come into 2010 and start mingling with eachother because I do not want to raise my children on this thought process.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-02-2010, 06:59 PM
 
Location: Cary, NC
31,633 posts, read 55,362,882 times
Reputation: 30183
Quote:
Originally Posted by poole276 View Post
I completely disagree with that. I am from NY and my family is completely mixed. We are puerto rican, native american, african american, Italian, Irish and you see that ALL OVER NY. Unfortunately down here, it is mainly black, white and mexican. Def not diverse at all, so I see why you would say that. To answer your question, in Raleigh, the races pretty much keep themselves separate so you will prob have no problem finding "African American" activities. (whatever that is) This is a beautiful place to live, hopefully we can come into 2010 and start mingling with eachother because I do not want to raise my children on this thought process.
Mingle?

I sat in a two hour meeting today.
About 45 people from the office there.
I saw a lady from Persia.
And one, I think, from Iran. (Bonus Content: Geography Puzzle!)
A feller from Egypt.
A lady from Turkey.
Another lady from China.
Several Yankees....
At least two ladies from India.
A handful of African Americans.
And I don't know what else.

And no one group was huddled together.


It isn't a perfect world, but much of it functions pretty well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-02-2010, 07:23 PM
 
1,832 posts, read 4,457,328 times
Reputation: 1105
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJaquish View Post
Mingle?

I sat in a two hour meeting today.
About 45 people from the office there.
I saw a lady from Persia.
And one, I think, from Iran. (Bonus Content: Geography Puzzle!)
A feller from Egypt.
A lady from Turkey.
Another lady from China.
Several Yankees....
At least two ladies from India.
A handful of African Americans.
And I don't know what else.

And no one group was huddled together.


It isn't a perfect world, but much of it functions pretty well.
OMG you actually let the yankees sit at at the same table with you? WOW!

Yeah, we stick with our own kind. My neighborhood is white, african american, asian (thai), indian, and more. some mixed in the same house! but I admit, we do stick with our "own kind"--I don't think any of us are from NC originally!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-02-2010, 07:35 PM
 
Location: Cary, NC
31,633 posts, read 55,362,882 times
Reputation: 30183
Quote:
Originally Posted by annesg View Post
OMG you actually let the yankees sit at at the same table with you? WOW!

Yeah, we stick with our own kind. My neighborhood is white, african american, asian (thai), indian, and more. some mixed in the same house! but I admit, we do stick with our "own kind"--I don't think any of us are from NC originally!

What can I say? I'm from Pennsylvania...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:



Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top