U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Easter!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 03-02-2010, 08:56 PM
 
Location: Raleigh, NC
10,323 posts, read 18,656,394 times
Reputation: 11064

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by annesg View Post
OMG you actually let the yankees sit at at the same table with you? WOW!
Um, Mike is a Yankee himself...!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 03-02-2010, 08:59 PM
 
Location: Cary, NC
31,591 posts, read 55,295,005 times
Reputation: 30145
Quote:
Originally Posted by Francois View Post
Um, Mike is a Yankee himself...!
Hey! You say that like it is a bad thing....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-03-2010, 09:46 AM
 
Location: Raleigh, NC
58 posts, read 129,126 times
Reputation: 26
I don't mean "mingle" as in the sense of only speaking at work. I mean mixing families, activities on the weekends, and things of that nature. I just don't understand the thinking. To give you an example, when I first moved here I was asked "what is a Puerto Rican?" Are you kidding? That is just common knowledge and it is a common wealth of our OWN country. But I am not trying to make a debate, I am just pointing out what I have seen since I have been here. My family is very mixed and we get many stares when walking around down here and I think it is ridiculous. The first question we get is "what are you?" How do you even answer that....and what a first impression! I am tired of being called a Yankee because you would not like it if I called you a redneck the second you opened your mouth. Come on! (just had to get that off my chest) Yes you do have many different (not really many...but I guess to the South it is many) races near Raleigh because of the colleges and many people come from other countries to go to those schools. But it is time to get out of the civil war mentality and not think so "black" and "white" and call people "yankees" all the time. Just a suggestion......no need to rip my head off for it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-03-2010, 12:49 PM
 
Location: Raleigh, NC
10,323 posts, read 18,656,394 times
Reputation: 11064
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJaquish View Post
Hey! You say that like it is a bad thing....
I have said many times that I use the term as a simple descriptor, nothing more. Actually I only used it in response to the person who worded the previous statement, since it was an ironic observation ("You actually sit with the XXXXs"-> "He is an XXXX himself", no matter what XXXX is).

(And I know you were joshin', as always, Mike )

Quote:
But it is time to get out of the civil war mentality and not think so "black" and "white" and call people "yankees" all the time. Just a suggestion......no need to rip my head off for it.
If you had lived here awhile, you would know that "Yankee" is mostly used as simply a non-derogatory synonym for "Northerner", often by Northerners themselves. In fact, recently I was at a dinner gathering that happened to include 5 NC natives and one Indiana native, and it was HE, the Indiana native, who said "So, I'm the only Yankee here, huh?".

It has nothing to do with The Civil War. Some DO say it with derogatory meaning, but that is done more with inflection than with words--similar to how some people might say "Jew". You can say "my neighbors are Jews" and simply be making a descriptive statement, or you can say "My neighbors are Jews!" with derogatory intent. If you realize this and learn not to be offended every time you hear the "Y" word, you'll fit in more quickly in this area.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-03-2010, 01:08 PM
 
2,579 posts, read 4,780,778 times
Reputation: 5277
Quote:
Originally Posted by poole276 View Post
Yes you do have many different (not really many...but I guess to the South it is many) races near Raleigh because of the colleges and many people come from other countries to go to those schools. But it is time to get out of the civil war mentality and not think so "black" and "white" and call people "yankees" all the time. Just a suggestion......no need to rip my head off for it.
To whom are you speaking? I'm quite certain you don't mean me ... or anyone I've ever known here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-03-2010, 01:45 PM
 
83 posts, read 166,828 times
Reputation: 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by poole276 View Post
The first question we get is "what are you?" How do you even answer that....and what a first impression! I am tired of being called a Yankee because you would not like it if I called you a redneck the second you opened your mouth. Come on! (just had to get that off my chest) Yes you do have many different (not really many...but I guess to the South it is many) races near Raleigh because of the colleges and many people come from other countries to go to those schools. But it is time to get out of the civil war mentality and not think so "black" and "white" and call people "yankees" all the time.
I live in Raleigh and am Asian-American. I may have been asked "what are you?" many times here, but I can promise you I was asked it tons more times and stared at when I lived in the Upper Midwest. It really is relative. We're not as diverse as NYC, but it could be a heck of a lot worse!

I think the Triangle has more diversity and mingling of races than is immediately visible. You have to look for it somewhat. But it's there. There is still the "black and white" thinking, and I hear that old-fashioned mentality more in the local media than I do from acquaintances.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-04-2010, 10:46 AM
 
Location: Raleigh, NC
58 posts, read 129,126 times
Reputation: 26
Maybe we get more stares or comments because we are an actual mixed family. And when our fam comes down to visit....forget it!!! We can't keep the eyes off of us. I think that is why we may differ in opinion. And I am def not saying ALL the people here are like that, because if that were the case we would have moved already. Plus we have learned to ignore the stares! It is a great area and I am enjoying living here (WAY better than SC)... but there is still not mixture of families. (not friends....families) But hopefully my family will change that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-17-2010, 02:31 PM
 
1 posts, read 1,428 times
Reputation: 10
IvtGurl08: What have you found about the Raeligh and young black people? I'm considering moving there but don't want to if there aren't any black male prospects there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-17-2010, 06:32 PM
 
6,185 posts, read 13,842,121 times
Reputation: 4456
Where ARE they (black male prospects) -- anywhere? I have a friend (in Raleigh) who would really like to know.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MBGirl View Post
IvtGurl08: What have you found about the Raeligh and young black people? I'm considering moving there but don't want to if there aren't any black male prospects there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-18-2010, 08:14 AM
 
472 posts, read 769,679 times
Reputation: 416
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovebrentwood View Post
Where ARE they (black male prospects) -- anywhere? I have a friend (in Raleigh) who would really like to know.
Black male prospects are hard to come by in almost all of the USA, unfortunately. Check out Tim Harford's "The Logic of Life" for an interesting take.

I must say, over in Chapel Hill there is a distinct lack of ethnic mixing. In classes at the uni, the black kids definitely do tend to sit together. Same in the cafeteria places.

Carrboro is also pretty (self-?) segregated. Weaver st lawn is extraordinarily unrepresentative of the Carrboro population.

CHwboy
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:



Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top