U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-18-2010, 09:38 AM

116 posts, read 286,090 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHwboy View Post
Black male prospects are hard to come by in almost all of the USA, unfortunately. Check out Tim Harford's "The Logic of Life" for an interesting take.

I must say, over in Chapel Hill there is a distinct lack of ethnic mixing. In classes at the uni, the black kids definitely do tend to sit together. Same in the cafeteria places.

Carrboro is also pretty (self-?) segregated. Weaver st lawn is extraordinarily unrepresentative of the Carrboro population.

CHwboy
I get annoyed when people say that blacks self segregate. If you see a group of blacks sitting together at a predominantly white university...it is viewed as bad. But in all honesty, it is more of a cultural thing. I sit with those that I have something in common with. You see it with all cultures.

When I went to an HBCU in undergrad, all the choir folks sat together, the folks from Trinidad and Tobego sat together...and so on and so forth.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-18-2010, 10:29 AM

472 posts, read 772,772 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ladyvet2006 View Post
I get annoyed when people say that blacks self segregate. If you see a group of blacks sitting together at a predominantly white university...it is viewed as bad. But in all honesty, it is more of a cultural thing. I sit with those that I have something in common with. You see it with all cultures.

When I went to an HBCU in undergrad, all the choir folks sat together, the folks from Trinidad and Tobego sat together...and so on and so forth.
That's a bit different, though isn't it? People with the same interest (choir) or the same national background (T&T) have something in common besides skin colour.

If people in the US really do have different cultures based purely on skin colour, that is exactly the thing I'm talking about.

Note that I'm not saying that this is a problem, but it is a real thing that you don't see so much in other places.

And I don't think it's necessarily black self-segregation: I think part of the reason Carrboro is so white is that the white population there does things that effectively exclude ethnic minorities (like high property taxes).

chwboy
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary