Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-04-2010, 07:14 AM

75 posts, read 146,114 times

Advertisements

Hi all,
Hubby and I are in love with your area and want a better life for our 3 children still living at home, ages 17, 6 and 5. We aren't able to achieve what we are looking for here in NYC. I'm not even going to go into why we want to move. If you live here, and have visited your area, it's a given. Our issue has to do with giving up our jobs. We are both employed with the city. We will have jobs in NC, but they aren't the jobs we have here. Has anyone here been in this situation and moved there, basically starting over? Our incomes won't be what they are here either, but neither will the mortgage .
Any input is appreciated. It helps to hear from others.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-04-2010, 07:34 AM

1,040 posts, read 3,600,902 times
Lightbulb Cost of Living Comparison

I am not sure how much stock you can put in this site, but I thought it was interesting.

Moderator cut: No links to competing sites, please. You can find relocation calculators at several online sites.

A salary of $100,000 in New York, New York could decrease to $64,291 in Raleigh, North Carolina

It is definitely tough to compare. I would assume most on here would vote to move (I moved from Union County NJ to Durham) but I think the opinions maybe alittle biased...

Good Luck!
Matt

Last edited by Green Irish Eyes; 05-04-2010 at 06:39 PM..

Old 05-04-2010, 07:37 AM

1,040 posts, read 3,600,902 times
A Few other comparisons:

A salary of $100,000 in New York, New York could decrease to $77,452 in Chapel Hill, North Carolina

A salary of $100,000 in New York, New York could decrease to $57,003 in Durham, North Carolina

A salary of $100,000 in New York, New York could decrease to $66,276 in Cary, North Carolina

Old 05-04-2010, 07:57 AM

306 posts, read 882,679 times
We did the same thing... I would recommend really doing a lot of research if your main reason for moving is cost of living. Yes, your mortgage will be lower, but as other posters have said, so will your salary. And the other taxes here are very high - sales tax is higher then NY, there is car and highway tax, income tax may also be higher. I've actually seen comparative sites that say you end up taking home less money moving here from NYC or Northern NJ. Also, I would seriously think about what you DO like up there and what you would like to maintain when you move here.

Just food for thought from someone whose been there done that. Good luck!

Old 05-04-2010, 08:22 AM

75 posts, read 146,114 times
Thanks for all the replies!! Lunadesign, so are you happy there? Seriously, my husband and I want to move there for a better quality of life. We want to buy a townhouse, kids can make friends with other kids, and we won't be strapped with a big ole mortgage like we have here. Clean streets are nice, courteous neighbors are nice, none of which are here. I live less than 15 miles from ground zero, the car bomb scare here 2 days ago.....let me see....neighbors smoking blunts on their stoops in the summer....I don't want to rant about what I don't like here. We have visited your area many times and feel it't the right fit for our family....just worried about giving up the perks of city jobs....does that make sense? Did you guys both have city jobs? How many years on the job?

Old 05-04-2010, 04:03 PM

406 posts, read 787,413 times
Default Relativity

I've come to realize that many of the comparisons and lists were North-East Centric; compared to "high cost areas" Raleigh seems to have a lower cost of living (if one can find a job)

The midwest has several nice areas with a much lower cost of living

This is a big factor in why I say my research on the area was flawed.

I guess it's relative: (not that I think this is accurate)

No wonder I think it is expensive here:

A salary of $50,000 in Detroit, Michigan should increase to $71,947 in Raleigh, North Carolina

Raleigh is
44%
more expensive than Detroit.

Housing
is the biggest factor in the cost of living difference.

Housing is
466%
more expensive in Raleigh.

Old 05-04-2010, 04:42 PM

1,463 posts, read 6,218,928 times
LOL if you think you can't find a job in Raleigh you will love the midwest...

Old 05-04-2010, 10:13 PM

32 posts, read 86,470 times
kidnurze where do you live??? sounds like my block on 208th street. We are moving to the triange for the same reasons, We have a 3 yo and a 1yo. plus my mother is sick so we are actually moving in with my parents in durham for a little while. when are you moving here?? I grew up in the area and it's great. We can't decide where to live, I love northern durham, inside the beltline in raleigh, and chapel hill. We are upper west siders at heart and would love to be around similar people.

anyway, just wanted to share..we are moving in july..do you have a job lined up yet?
I have a well paying job in the city and found the places that did similar work (television) not sure what they pay yet. I am scared to find out.

Old 05-04-2010, 10:30 PM

5,265 posts, read 16,581,221 times
forgive me...but I'm having a hard time understanding on how "upper-west siders at heart" will feel at home in a place like Raleigh NC? It is a lovely place and many people are very happy living there, but it is nothing at all....AT ALL...like Manhattan/NYC. There is absolutely nothing at all similar to anything in Manhattan in Raleigh, or any part of NC, or really 99.9% of the country really. If you want to end up "around similar people" in North Carolina as in the upper west side of Manhattan you will most likely be disappointed.

If a person who grew up in suburbia America, wanted to move to Manhattan but wanted it to be "similar to where they grew up" would they not get laughed out of town when they arrived?

Old 05-05-2010, 06:15 AM

306 posts, read 882,679 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kidnurze View Post
Thanks for all the replies!! Lunadesign, so are you happy there? Seriously, my husband and I want to move there for a better quality of life. We want to buy a townhouse, kids can make friends with other kids, and we won't be strapped with a big ole mortgage like we have here. Clean streets are nice, courteous neighbors are nice, none of which are here. I live less than 15 miles from ground zero, the car bomb scare here 2 days ago.....let me see....neighbors smoking blunts on their stoops in the summer....I don't want to rant about what I don't like here. We have visited your area many times and feel it't the right fit for our family....just worried about giving up the perks of city jobs....does that make sense? Did you guys both have city jobs? How many years on the job?
Sorry, I think I misread your initial post as I worked in the private sector, not FOR the city. Yes, we are happy here, but there are things we miss, of course. No place is Utopia and you'll always have to make some trade-offs, no matter where you go.

I'm assuming you're in a borough based on your description, as opposed to NJ or lower Westchester? I lived in NYC for a long time - worked in Manhattan for 11 years. I was in NYC during 9/11 and I still never felt unsafe there. That being said, when it came time to start a family, we moved to NJ. There was no chance I was going to raise kids in the city... just the schools alone were enough to make that not a consideration. You will see a big difference between city here and city there - but hopefully that will be a good thing and what you want!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary