U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Easter!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-18-2010, 09:50 PM

44 posts, read 83,440 times

Advertisements

I recently traveled to Raleigh,NC for a job interview and liked what I saw so far...But, my only concern is does Raleigh have a lot of diverse activities for a young african american professional in their mid-twenties? Now, that I have made the comment that I am african american I know some people will say, "What does race have to do with it?", however, I am just trying to keep in touch with my culture/community, so please do not take offense to this remark, because I love people of all diverse backgrounds. While I enjoy all activities, I would be interested in hearing some honest thoughts about the Raleigh/Durham area regarding this topic. I am a well rounded individual and would just like a good overall balance when it comes to work,nightlife, shopping, gym, etc.I have seen so many threads saying that Charlotte is the hip & happening place to be & then I have heard Raleigh as well for young african american professionals. I do know that many people in the area, but from what I have experienced from my visit people are very nice and willing to strike up a conversation. Please lend your positive & negative thoughts about this topic...It will be greatly appreciated!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-18-2010, 10:22 PM

6,185 posts, read 13,844,098 times
If you go to Meetup.com and search for "African-American" for Raleigh, you'll find at least 13 groups representing different activities. Maybe you can connect with the organizers of those groups to learn more about activities for people in their 20's.

Quote:
But, my only concern is does Raleigh have a lot of diverse activities for a young african american professional in their mid-twenties?

Old 01-19-2010, 08:27 AM

2,872 posts, read 4,960,406 times
Raleigh is a very nicely mixed melting pot of very different people of all races, religions, creeds, colors, etc. It's getting better (and by that I mean more open minded and less fanatical religious types) all the time.

Old 01-19-2010, 08:34 AM

494 posts, read 1,193,434 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IvyGurl08 View Post
I recently traveled to Raleigh,NC for a job interview and liked what I saw so far...But, my only concern is does Raleigh have a lot of diverse activities for a young african american professional in their mid-twenties? Now, that I have made the comment that I am african american I know some people will say, "What does race have to do with it?", however, I am just trying to keep in touch with my culture/community, so please do not take offense to this remark, because I love people of all diverse backgrounds. While I enjoy all activities, I would be interested in hearing some honest thoughts about the Raleigh/Durham area regarding this topic. I am a well rounded individual and would just like a good overall balance when it comes to work,nightlife, shopping, gym, etc.I have seen so many threads saying that Charlotte is the hip & happening place to be & then I have heard Raleigh as well for young african american professionals. I do know that many people in the area, but from what I have experienced from my visit people are very nice and willing to strike up a conversation. Please lend your positive & negative thoughts about this topic...It will be greatly appreciated!
What are diverse activities for an African American?How do they differ. from other activities?

Old 01-19-2010, 08:49 AM

869 posts, read 2,600,583 times
I'd like to know too. I am a middle-aged European-American, and I'll bet we could do mostly all the same stuff, given some free time. Except for the music/club scenes, which would likely differ, what else would you seek to do for activities that I would not do? I'd like to know so I can offer helpful feedback to your questions.

By way of personal observation, having lived in the Boston area for 45 years and here for almost 5, I will assert that there is far more racial harmony here, vs. there.

Old 01-19-2010, 08:53 AM

6,185 posts, read 13,844,098 times
Here's one:
http://www.theurbantriangle.com/cale...&action=detail

Here's another:
Pages of Life: Women's Book Club (Raleigh, NC) - Meetup.com (http://www.meetup.com/PagesofLife/ - broken link)

Here's another:
J.E.W.E.L.S (Raleigh, NC) - Meetup.com (http://www.meetup.com/radiantJEWELS/ - broken link)

There are groups based on background and culture all over the place:

Italians:Italian Heritage Festivals Group (Wake Forest, NC) - Meetup.com (http://www.meetup.com/Italian-Heritage-Festivals-Group/ - broken link)
Germans: The German Playgroup (Cary, NC) - Meetup.com (http://www.meetup.com/Deutsche-Spielgruppe/ - broken link)
Latinos: Cafe Con Leche and Contacts (Raleigh, NC) - Meetup.com (http://www.meetup.com/Cafe-Con-Leche-and-Contacts/ - broken link)
Hawaiians: Ka Pu'uwai 'O Hawai'i - The Hawai'i Club of NC Meetup Group (Raleigh, NC) - Meetup.com

Etcetera, etcetera, etcetera.

Quote:
What are diverse activities for an African American?How do they differ. from other activities?

2,872 posts, read 4,960,406 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eloyfan View Post
I'd like to know too. I am a middle-aged European-American, and I'll bet we could do mostly all the same stuff, given some free time. Except for the music/club scenes, which would likely differ, what else would you seek to do for activities that I would not do? I'd like to know so I can offer helpful feedback to your questions.

By way of personal observation, having lived in the Boston area for 45 years and here for almost 5, I will assert that there is far more racial harmony here, vs. there.
I'm from Miami and I would say we have more harmony here as well. Most people here are very kind and very nice...

10,323 posts, read 18,660,193 times
Raleigh is fine, should be no problem, but Durham is a more "historically Black" (and continues to be more integrated racially) city than Raleigh. Any Southern city has entrenched African-American civic culture, however.

Old 01-19-2010, 09:38 AM

1,491 posts, read 1,788,200 times
I'm black as well but it seems like you should focus your question more and state what it is you like to do and then ask is that activity present in Raleigh. To ask does "Raleigh have a lot of diverse activities for a young african american professional in their mid-twenties" invites the poster to make general assumptions about what all black people do who are in their mid-twenties. What kind of things do you like to do?

Old 01-19-2010, 10:25 AM

44 posts, read 83,440 times
@samdan, eloyfan, aspe4-I guess I should rephrase my question. I like all types of music (alternative, pop, r&b, rap, salsa/merenge', jazz, country, etc.), rock climb, art, poetry, football, karaoke, wine, bowling, etc. So when I say activities for for African-Americans I'm not necessarily saying, we do different activities, but just some cultural aspects that I could identitfy with this group. Just to throw out one example, Historically Black Sororities/Fraternities (Graduate Chapters, etc.)

Also, my concern is that I hear Raleigh, NC has a lot of opportunities for Young Professionals (all backgrounds, but especially there has been some talk about good opportunities for african american professionals, i.e. black enterprise magazine), but I did not see that aspect or "buzz" when visiting the city. Not trying to compare the city to Charlotte, but I have seen that Charlotte has advertisements promoting activities catered towards this group. (i.e. playdate, parties, poetry nights, singles activities, etc.) I just don't want to move to another city that all there is to do is go to the movies, mall & out to eat every weekend. I can agree with the other posters that say, people are nice,friendly & mingle with one another regardless of ethnic group, which is great- you do not find that in every city.

Last edited by IvyGurl08; 01-19-2010 at 10:33 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary