Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-19-2010, 07:32 AM

4,532 posts, read 8,866,443 times

Advertisements

I have a kitchen table with a solid marble top. No matter how much I clean it I can't remove some marks that look like drops, and a ring stain from a glass. You can't see it unless you look at it at certain angles, it looks like it took the shine off the marble.

I have read that marble can get "etched" by juice spills, does this sound like etching? And does anyone know of any products I can buy locally to clean them up or add the sheen back?

Suggestions appreciated, thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-19-2010, 07:39 AM

997 posts, read 4,643,523 times
Not sure if you tried any of these methods but here is a link. Removing Stains from Marble (Tips.Net) Most of the stuff used can be found in the home already.

Old 01-19-2010, 07:56 AM

jln - thanks! I haven't tried the baking soda tip but will give it a try. I do prefer natural products where possible - thanks for the site!

If the BS doesn't work, unfortunately, I don't know what the stains are from so not sure exactly what is best to do. I did a web search and found products in the UK, but know we have to have them here, I suppose they are just not pulling into my search. I might go to a kitchen showroom, imagine they have something(?).

I purchased the table thinking it would be low maintenance, and something my child and her friends could get messy and I wouldn't have to worry about it. Now I'm reading how it's easily stained

Old 01-19-2010, 08:14 AM

2,459 posts, read 8,075,006 times
Lots of good advice about the care and sealing of natural stone available here:

Cleaning, Restoration and Sealing - Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Frank

Old 01-19-2010, 08:21 AM

892 posts, read 3,160,306 times
Try cleaning it with hydrogen peroxide or clear ammonia then buy/apply a marble polish. Marble is softer than ya think so use coasters and placemats on that kitchen table.

Old 01-19-2010, 08:25 AM

476 posts, read 1,676,284 times
I used the baking soda paste on my granite previously and it took several applications to "draw" the color up. Depending on the color of your marble it should help a lot.

Once you are satisfied that it is as good as you're going to get it... SEAL IT! = )

I seal my granite once a year at least just for peace of mind. My boys love grape & cranberry juice and that is all I DON'T need - big permanent purple spots!

Old 01-19-2010, 08:53 AM

Brooks - once I clean it and if I seal it, will I still need to use placemats and coasters? It's hard to get tweens to remember to do this!

All - thanks SO much for your suggestions and helpful links which I'm sure I'll be referring back to often!

Old 01-19-2010, 01:38 PM

494 posts, read 1,388,012 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RaleighLass View Post
I have a kitchen table with a solid marble top. No matter how much I clean it I can't remove some marks that look like drops, and a ring stain from a glass. You can't see it unless you look at it at certain angles, it looks like it took the shine off the marble.

I have read that marble can get "etched" by juice spills, does this sound like etching? And does anyone know of any products I can buy locally to clean them up or add the sheen back?

Suggestions appreciated, thanks!
Wet sand it with a fine grit paper,then reseal.

Old 01-19-2010, 08:50 PM

476 posts, read 1,676,284 times
Default Sargeant Mom

Quote: "Brooks - once I clean it and if I seal it, will I still need to use placemats and coasters? It's hard to get tweens to remember to do this!"

Sealing it will certainly help, as the more you can do to protect it from the potential hazards (aka children!) the better.

Maybe you can leave little stickers or post it notes for your tweens which will embarrass them completely (like "mummy wuvs u") so that they will be thrilled to throw a placement down on top of it! (BTW - this works well when you write in the dust on top of their dressers... you have never seen children dust their rooms so quickly -Especially efficient if you do it right before their friends come over!!!)

Or buy a super cool set of coasters - maybe a bunch of paper ones they can personalize so they are more prone to want to use them?

Other than that making them stand to eat or drink until they follow the new game plan (or make them scrub and seal the table) may get them into the program- LOL (kind of)!

Old 01-20-2010, 04:43 AM

Brooks...thanks, no free ticket for me I really thought I was buying something I could relax and not worry about. I'll be on coaster police for every sleepover Appreciate your ideas!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary