U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Easter!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Unread 06-06-2007, 07:24 AM

174 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MAtoNC? View Post
It would be great if we could get back on topic regarding the specifics of Clayton schools and children with allergies. I'm sure there is another forum where people could debate how allergies should be handled in the schools.
We are talking about how Clayton handles peanut allergies. I asked one of the mothers if she volunteered to clean up the room after the ice cream party.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Unread 06-06-2007, 07:59 AM

2,135 posts, read 4,745,042 times
It's not the mother's responsibility to clean up the room. It's the school's responsiblity. Severe peanut allergies that affect breathing fall under the American w/ Disabilities Act.

Unread 06-06-2007, 10:29 AM

174 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MAtoNC? View Post
It's not the mother's responsibility to clean up the room. It's the school's responsiblity. Severe peanut allergies that affect breathing fall under the American w/ Disabilities Act.
I never said that it was her responsibility. I simply asked whether she volunteered to clean up. I think that it would be fair regardless of whether the school was required to accomodate her son.

Unread 06-06-2007, 11:00 AM

217 posts, read 542,392 times
The mother should not have to clean the room. It is the schools resposibility to provide a SAFE enviorment for ALL children....gee what do our taxes pay for?? This is an issue of life or death. Get over it! A child and parents have the right to expect a safe school.

Unread 06-06-2007, 11:03 AM

174 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chimp View Post
The mother should not have to clean the room. It is the schools resposibility to provide a SAFE enviorment for ALL children....gee what do our taxes pay for?? This is an issue of life or death. Get over it! A child and parents have the right to expect a safe school.
No argument here. I just wondered how the mother was supporting the already overburdened and underpaid teacher.

As for your taxes, HA! If you have even one or two children in public schools then it is highly likely that you reap more benefit from public schools than you sow in taxes.

Unread 06-06-2007, 11:21 AM

217 posts, read 542,392 times
The mother was put in that positon by the teacher! Are you telling my that sundaes with nuts are the only treat the teacher could come up with? How hard would it be to choose something else? What about cupcakes that the kids frost themselves? and decorate? I am not saying that they are required to do a different treat but the teacher should have thought about the fact that she has a child in her class that would not be able to return without the extra work of sanitizing the class room if she went with sundaes and nuts. I feel that the mom should not have to worry everyday about her sons being exposed to life treatening conditions when he goes to school. How would you feel if you sent your child to school and they were exposed to a resisted stain of TB...all because the school allowed a class full of TB kids to go to school...I mean if everyone except your child already has TB...then it should be your resposibility to go to the school and sanitize the class room...I mean the teachers are BUSY!

Never mind..you must not have ever had to deal with a life threatening illness.

Unread 06-06-2007, 11:30 AM

174 posts
The ice cream was likely prepared in a facility that also processes nuts so even if they eliminated the plain M&Ms and chopped nuts then the ice cream is still a no go.

If the teacher served cupcakes then I'm sure that some kid would be allergic to wheat, or eggs, or gluten. God forbid that the cupcake mix was made in a plant that also processed peanuts.

I'm sorry, but schools can't be expected to bend over backward for everyone. Someone from the school should eventually clean the classroom but it may take awhile.

Unread 06-06-2007, 12:35 PM

460 posts, read 1,564,494 times
Welcome to 2007 gramps. People are expected to do a lot of things. It is called progress. I cannot understand the lack of human kindness of said poster. The milk of human kindness is dry.
Standards of living continue to go up and with them are expectations and taxes. The teacher is responsible of all the children in her class and all their special needs. If she does not want to do that maybe she should not be a teacher.

Unread 06-06-2007, 12:48 PM

174 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wanna Leave Penciltucky View Post
Welcome to 2007 gramps. People are expected to do a lot of things. It is called progress. I cannot understand the lack of human kindness of said poster. The milk of human kindness is dry.
Standards of living continue to go up and with them are expectations and taxes. The teacher is responsible of all the children in her class and all their special needs. If she does not want to do that maybe she should not be a teacher.
It is hardly progress when teachers have so many bureaucratic hoops to jump through that they don't have tiem to actually teach. No wonder so many people with the means to do so pull their children out of government schools.

Unread 06-06-2007, 01:20 PM

3,155 posts, read 6,348,008 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyBreakdance View Post
I'm sorry, but schools can't be expected to bend over backward for everyone. Someone from the school should eventually clean the classroom but it may take awhile.
Yes, schools can be expected to keep all children safe. Parents of children with food allergies and people with food allergies pay taxes too. And you know what... there's alot more of us than there use to be. So yes, in this country it is a right for a child to go to school in a safe environment where he or she will not die while learning how to read.

It is NOT a right for kids to have any sort of treats in school. In fact last year the Federal Government enacted strict Wellness Policies that limit treats and what types of treats in a way to combat childhood obesity. Schools that don't follow these can loose federal dollars.

So NO a child is NOT being denied personal liberties by not eatting Sundaes or even Peanut Butter and Jelly at School. But children who are denied access to safe education are being denied access to equal education which is against the law.

You either don't have kids, think you will never have a child with a food allergy, never have loved someone with a food allergy, or you are naive enough to think you will never develope a food allergy. Yes, adults develop food allergies all the time.

I can tell you EVERY CHILD that I know with a food allergy wishes he or she could eat ANYTHING like his friends can. And EVERY PARENT with a child with a food allergy only wishes that we DO NOT HAVE TO WORRY ABOUT OUR CHILD DYING AT SCHOOL OR IN THE CARE OF SOMEONE ELSE BECAUSE OF SOMETHING HE OR SHE TOUCHED.

One day you to might actually love someone with a food allergy.... maybe then you will get it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $74,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary