Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-06-2007, 01:27 PM

174 posts, read 196,233 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PDXmom View Post
It is NOT a right for kids to have any sort of treats in school. In fact last year the Federal Government enacted strict Wellness Policies that limit treats and what types of treats in a way to combat childhood obesity. Schools that don't follow these can loose federal dollars.

So NO a child is NOT being denied personal liberties by not eatting Sundaes or even Peanut Butter and Jelly at School. But children who are denied access to safe education are being denied access to equal education which is against the law.
Whoa, wait a minute. When you cite Wellness Policies you are conflating two issues; childhood obesity and allergies.

I agree that no child has a "right" to an ice cream sundae party but who are you to tell another parent that he cannot pack a PBJ for his child's lunch?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-20-2007, 05:28 AM

6 posts, read 12,981 times
Default Peanut Allergies

JohnnyBreakdance--I understand that people who have no loved ones with a deadly peanut/nut allergy cannot comprehend the incredible fear a parent faces every day when they send a PA child out into the world. I loved nuts/peanuts before my son was diagnosed, but don't even eat them myself now. I look at them now the same way I would look at a live grenade--they could kill my son. It's not exagerrating or trying to get attention, it's a very difficult fact of life for us. As for cleaning the room, of course I volunteered--I'd do anything to keep my son safe.

The original topic was how safe a Clayton area school would be and I related my experience accordingly.

Old 06-20-2007, 07:30 AM

7,573 posts, read 10,616,494 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pmd25910 View Post
JohnnyBreakdance--I understand that people who have no loved ones with a deadly peanut/nut allergy cannot comprehend the incredible fear a parent faces every day when they send a PA child out into the world. I loved nuts/peanuts before my son was diagnosed, but don't even eat them myself now. I look at them now the same way I would look at a live grenade--they could kill my son. It's not exagerrating or trying to get attention, it's a very difficult fact of life for us. As for cleaning the room, of course I volunteered--I'd do anything to keep my son safe.

The original topic was how safe a Clayton area school would be and I related my experience accordingly.
I just tumbled onto this thread, and it seems to be that MOST people are good in this world, although there are a few posts that, while reading them makes me wonder what planet they could possibly be from. My daughter who is in the second grade has had 2 children with the air-borne nut allergy, last year, and now this year. All I can tell you it has been absolute hell for these poor parents because of the ignorance and lack of compassion some people have for this life-threatening situation. This year, the little boy's mom, who is a teacher herself, came into the classroom at the beginning of the year to try and explain to the other parents and staff how serious this was, websites to visit about the allergy, and a well drawn up list of which foods, specific brands, which were nut-free so the rest of us were able to know and understand what we were able to bring to school as far as lunches, snacks, class parties, etc. STILL, after all of her efforts, it remained a battle for a select few parents and staff, (although most were very receptive). At the first class party, the little boy brought up a wrapped candy containing nuts and handed it to the teacher, stating, "I think this has nuts Mrs F...." When I questioned the other class mother as to WHY she brought this into the classroom, she said, "well, it was wrapped". What is that????? All I can tell you is that if I was ever the cause of a child's severe reaction to an allergen, because I didn't take the steps needed to make them safe, I could never forgive myself. I am a nurse, and was one of the class mother's this year, and let me tell you, I took this very seriously. I just hope that all of you Moms that are sharing their stories, are able to get the cooperation you will need to keep your children safe in school.

Old 06-20-2007, 07:34 AM

2,135 posts, read 7,654,067 times
Well, Johnny Breakdance is no longer a member. Now we can get back to our regular scheduled program! After we relocate I would be more than happy to help any of the parents advocate for children with allergies. It's a huge cause for me since I have a daughter that is gluten free. I have dealt with the schools, birthday parties, restaurants, etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary