U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-19-2010, 12:07 PM

166 posts, read 689,273 times

Advertisements

DH and I are able to pick up the boys every day of the week at 3:45p except for Tuesday ( both of us have meetings at 3pm which go on till about 3:45P) at our respective places of employment and they need mandatory attendance. Y administers the late pick up program and they do not have any flexibility - so just to get coverage for the boys for that one day, we have to sign them up for the entire week - which is like $400 a month. Wish there was some flexibility. Main reason for posting - do you guys have any suggestions or options we are missing? Just for one day of the week?

Thanks for any suggestions ...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-19-2010, 12:24 PM

407 posts, read 1,129,065 times
a friend or neighbor? I know I'd be happy to do that one day a week for neighborhood kids. Especially if they were my kids' friends and I was paid - even a tiny amount - for it.

Old 01-19-2010, 12:40 PM

69 posts, read 147,169 times
Find one of the other parents that'd take the kids for you or hire a sitter to pick them up.

Old 01-19-2010, 12:47 PM

2,135 posts, read 6,834,470 times
What school do they go to? That will depend on your options.

Old 01-19-2010, 12:55 PM

Thanks for your posts.

MAtoNC - It is Mills Park Elementary, Track 1.
To the others - several hurdles to cross - We just moved to the neighbourhood, so we don't know anyone here as yet. Also, since the boys have just started going to this new school, I do not know any parents as yet.

Appreciate the posts, please keep them coming.

Old 01-19-2010, 01:03 PM

189 posts, read 439,734 times
The After school program by YMCA at my kids school had a special program 1 day a week for the Early Release Wednesdays for $40 a month. I would think they would be willing to do that for you on Tuesdays also. You can also try the nearby daycare centers. BTW, how are you managing the Wed Early release?

Old 01-19-2010, 01:52 PM

407 posts, read 1,129,065 times
Do you have a neighborhood message board? I don't know how old your kids are, or their temperaments, or how trusting you are, but I think finding someone in your neighborhood would be ideal - great way to get to know neighbors, and for your kids to meet other kids.

Another (similar) option would be a high schooler to watch them. Are you willing to let them ride the bus home, and just have someone there to watch them when they get home? Or do you need someone to actually pick them up? A teen could do the first, I would think, but I wouldn't ask a teenager to pick my kids up. Of course you'd need to get references, but again, that's where a neighborhood message board could come in handy.

If you don't have a local message board, I don't really know. . .

Old 01-20-2010, 06:58 AM

gunni - we have the Y handling that. They only do that for the early release days. I did call and speak with the school and the Y. The school said Y does allow customization, but then when I called the Y, they said they don't. It is either all days or none.
I did call the day care centers and, thanks to someone who suggested that, there IS a daycare that will do pick up one day a week, and it is very reasonable. However, I am trying to look at all options. Does anyone know of any churches in the area that offers an after-school program? I looked up Cary Presbytarian, however they do not service Mills Park.

Old 01-20-2010, 08:07 AM

1,752 posts, read 3,149,631 times
Hmmm, I might try the PTA/PTO and see if they can recommend someone. They might know of someone who does afterschool care informally in their home. (does that even happen in Cary?) Or a youth organization that might be able to give recommendations (Like a Girl Scout contact who would know older teens in the neighborhood) etc. And you might also ask the classroom teachers...sometimes they are plugged into that kind of info also, or might be able to make a suggestion based on who your son is friendly with.

That might be a good way for you to meet people and for your sons to make friends!

Old 01-20-2010, 02:04 PM

814 posts, read 1,702,880 times
NCSU has a website where you can find students to sit. Have found them from there, Meredith and Peace Colleges.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary