U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 01-24-2010, 10:22 AM
 
Location: Raleigh, NC
4,034 posts, read 5,551,753 times
Reputation: 3313

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by wheelsup View Post
There are people who get jobs because they have MBA's but they typically went to ivy-league schools and did well in their classes.

For folks getting a generic MBA (ie not one from Harvard, etc.) I doubt having an MBA really means much if you don't have a solid resume of work experience (this thread is a great example of that).

Plus, it really pigeon holes you for jobs, my wife is going thru resumes now and everyone with an advanced degree who is applying is getting deleted. They are simply over qualified.
Please don't assume that anyone who isn't from a place like Stanford or Harvard has a "generic" or low-quality MBA. As part of my MBA program at the University of Oregon, I did consulting assignments with Hewlett Packard and JELD-WEN, (both of which are large international corporations) and other non-profits and small companies. I also learned Chinese at the age of 42, and traveled to China twice and to South Korea to meet executives of technology, utility and manufacturing companies. I have absolutely no regrets for doing my MBA. It was a fantastic experience. I made more friends there in 2 years and gained more practical experience than in my entire undergraduate program.

I did a phone interview once with a project manager with an MBA from Stanford. At one point in the interview he asked me, "So what was your masters thesis?". I was completely floored because it told me that while it was probably a good program, it was completely theoretical and provided no practical experience. There was an interesting book written by a Stanford MBA who graduated in the last recession of 1995 which has relevance to today's MBA graduates. I think the author's opinion was that the MBA wasn't worth too much during that recession either.

Any degree, MBA included is only as good as the work you do while in your program. I think a mistake that many people make is getting an MBA degree right out of undergraduate school, before they have any significant work experience. My comment about the MBA not being worth much doesn't reflect on the quality of any of the programs. It's just a fact that there are plenty of MBA's who are out of work. Any time you have a surplus of people with a certain degree, it will not be helpful in the job search. There are many PhD's who also can't get work right now.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 01-24-2010, 01:27 PM
 
Location: Chapel Hill, NC
149 posts, read 371,469 times
Reputation: 92
Quote:
Originally Posted by wheelsup View Post
Read my post again. I never said it was worthless.

People getting an MBA right out of college with practically no work experience makes it not worth the paper it's written on.

Peace out.
Read my post again. I neither stated nor implied that you said it was worthless.

Rather I take affront when you say that "people who get jobs because they have MBA's ... typically went to ivy-league schools and did well in their classes" when statistically speaking, this would represent a very low percentage of the total employed MBA's.

I do agree that an MBA without work experience is probably not as valuable as one who has paid their dues in the workplace.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-24-2010, 03:10 PM
 
10,696 posts, read 20,119,835 times
Reputation: 9849
Quote:
Originally Posted by zitsky View Post
Please don't assume that anyone who isn't from a place like Stanford or Harvard has a "generic" or low-quality MBA. As part of my MBA program at the University of Oregon, I did consulting assignments with Hewlett Packard and JELD-WEN, (both of which are large international corporations) and other non-profits and small companies. I also learned Chinese at the age of 42, and traveled to China twice and to South Korea to meet executives of technology, utility and manufacturing companies. I have absolutely no regrets for doing my MBA. It was a fantastic experience. I made more friends there in 2 years and gained more practical experience than in my entire undergraduate program.

I did a phone interview once with a project manager with an MBA from Stanford. At one point in the interview he asked me, "So what was your masters thesis?". I was completely floored because it told me that while it was probably a good program, it was completely theoretical and provided no practical experience. There was an interesting book written by a Stanford MBA who graduated in the last recession of 1995 which has relevance to today's MBA graduates. I think the author's opinion was that the MBA wasn't worth too much during that recession either.

Any degree, MBA included is only as good as the work you do while in your program. I think a mistake that many people make is getting an MBA degree right out of undergraduate school, before they have any significant work experience. My comment about the MBA not being worth much doesn't reflect on the quality of any of the programs. It's just a fact that there are plenty of MBA's who are out of work. Any time you have a surplus of people with a certain degree, it will not be helpful in the job search. There are many PhD's who also can't get work right now.
So seriously you just agreed with everything I wrote but in your own words. Congrats you can be a poltician.

What I wrote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by wheelsup
For folks getting a generic MBA (ie not one from Harvard, etc.) I doubt having an MBA really means much if you don't have a solid resume of work experience
A few friends in high school went the ivy route immediately after gruduating and I can tell you they were hired into extremely well paying jobs just because they had that degree from those academic programs. For everyone else, the degree needs to be backed up with experience first and foremost.

Seems I hit a nerve, didn't mean too.

Last edited by wheelsup; 01-24-2010 at 03:21 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-24-2010, 03:17 PM
 
10,696 posts, read 20,119,835 times
Reputation: 9849
Quote:
Originally Posted by huckdisc View Post
Read my post again. I neither stated nor implied that you said it was worthless.

Rather I take affront when you say that "people who get jobs because they have MBA's ... typically went to ivy-league schools and did well in their classes" when statistically speaking, this would represent a very low percentage of the total employed MBA's.

I do agree that an MBA without work experience is probably not as valuable as one who has paid their dues in the workplace.
Well you would know more than me. However I can tell you what I see - and that is hundreds of BA degrees followed immediately by MBA's on resumes and they all are looking for work with no work experience before or during college.

My sister thinks going further into debt to get an MBA will make her more marketable. What she doesn't understand is that it's not the degree that makes you employable it's the whole package and she can't get that thru her head.

Disclaimer: I don't have an MBA and am definitely not MBA material. I like working with my hands way too much. I'm just trying to save people from getting into more debt just because they can't find a job. It seems the norm these days is to graduate and immediately get an MBA or some other masters degree.

Edited to add: I met a sharp kid working the front desk of a hotel w/ an MBA. He was also our van driver to/from the airport. Making $12/hr, I wanna say from a university near Rochester or Penn State (if they do it? not sure). Felt bad for him but that's what you get for going to college and getting a masters ASAP.

Last edited by wheelsup; 01-24-2010 at 03:25 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-24-2010, 07:46 PM
 
Location: Raleigh, NC
4,034 posts, read 5,551,753 times
Reputation: 3313
Quote:
Originally Posted by wheelsup View Post
So seriously you just agreed with everything I wrote but in your own words. Congrats you can be a poltician.

What I wrote:

A few friends in high school went the ivy route immediately after gruduating and I can tell you they were hired into extremely well paying jobs just because they had that degree from those academic programs. For everyone else, the degree needs to be backed up with experience first and foremost.

Seems I hit a nerve, didn't mean too.
You didn't hit a nerve, but you are really over-simplifying things. It's not as simple as getting a Harvard or Stanford MBA. What you seem to be saying is that you could be a complete idiot but if you have an MBA or other degree from Harvard or Stanford you are magically qualified. There are many unemployed Harvard & Stanford MBA students & undergrads right now. George W. Bush is a Harvard MBA alum, and I don't think he did such a great job running the country. I knew many classmates in my program who had only a few years of work experience but have done relatively well after getting their degrees.

In my experience, your success in life isn't about where you went to school. It's about what you do with your education once you're done. I feel bad for that MBA who is making $12/hr, but at least he is working an honest job. Hopefully things will get better and he'll find something more challenging.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-29-2010, 08:00 AM
 
406 posts, read 695,553 times
Reputation: 354
Quote:
Originally Posted by zitsky View Post
. Hopefully things will get better and he'll find something more challenging.
I hope things get better around here for a lot of people.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-29-2010, 08:29 AM
 
Location: Chapel Hill, NC
149 posts, read 371,469 times
Reputation: 92
Quote:
Originally Posted by wjsluvskaz View Post
I hope things get better around here for a lot of people.
On this I think we can all agree.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:



Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top