U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-19-2010, 05:54 PM

9 posts, read 16,465 times

Advertisements

I just recently interviewed for a position in Raleigh. Did not have time to check out surrounding areas but from looking at homes in my budget, (less than $100,000) on the internet, I wanted to know of the three cities; where would you NOT move to and why?

I have seen some homes in Durham I like (older homes renovated) that are part of a restoration project. If anyone is familiar with this area, do you know of genuine advancement in the neighborhood or is it just a few houses being remodeled? thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-19-2010, 06:24 PM

1,074 posts, read 2,823,588 times
You will be able to afford most in Durham in that budget. Are you willing to consider any of the areas that are slightly farther out, like Apex, Holly Springs, Fuquay, Morrisville? I ask because your money will go a lot further in those areas.

Old 01-19-2010, 06:44 PM

I didnt want to post my actual budget amount but it's the low end of $100,000. I have looked in other areas... Fuquay would be to far out, I couldnt find anything less than 90,000 in Apex and then it was minimum. The only things in Morrisville in my budget were either doublewides or a few poorly constructed homes. I actually like a older bungalow/cottage home w/hardwood floors and dont mind doing cosmetic repairs and minor TLC but can not afford a complete overhaul. I think that's why the restoration website I found in Durham was appealing. Older homes, just dont know about the neighborhood.

Old 01-19-2010, 06:52 PM

9,558 posts, read 26,426,980 times
I would live in the town that is as close to your work as possible. $100K is a tight housing budget. Repairs can be costly and when you are at the lower end of housing budgets and can be tight if not downright impossible. It isn't fo the faint of heart and those looking to pinch pennies. Trust me, I would love to rennovate and older home. I just don't have the investment capital. I would consider renting in a historic area while you get grounded and develop a better feel for the area.

Old 01-19-2010, 07:03 PM

5,265 posts, read 14,572,123 times
Have you considered renting until you have a high enough income to afford to buy a house? There really aren't many homes (except, as you mentioned, trailers and possibly some older small condos) in any area of the triangle I think could really be called "nice"...at least nothing that would be livable. Unless you bought a small major fixer-upper out in Fuquay or something.

Old 01-19-2010, 07:09 PM

That's a good point. I just wanted to take advantage of the First Time Buyers tax credit.

Old 01-19-2010, 07:17 PM

6,185 posts, read 13,852,309 times
You might want to look at townhouses or condos. They tend to cost less.

Old 01-19-2010, 07:29 PM

3,155 posts, read 9,584,265 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovebrentwood View Post
You might want to look at townhouses or condos. They tend to cost less.
But resale may not be as good as a single family home.

Old 01-19-2010, 09:56 PM

8,264 posts, read 21,819,942 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North_Raleigh_Guy View Post
I would live in the town that is as close to your work as possible. $100K is a tight housing budget. Repairs can be costly and when you are at the lower end of housing budgets and can be tight if not downright impossible. It isn't fo the faint of heart and those looking to pinch pennies. Trust me, I would love to rennovate and older home. I just don't have the investment capital. I would consider renting in a historic area while you get grounded and develop a better feel for the area.
This, with the added thought that you need to be able to balance your "budget needs" with saftey and being in a home which is the best investment you can find. Thre ARE interesting things out in each of the areas you mentioned but you aren't going to find them on an internet forum. You need an awesome realtor once you get here who can help you find what you are looking for. I would seriously rent for at least 3-6 months first!

Old 01-20-2010, 05:47 AM

1,106 posts, read 2,951,564 times
You need a realtor ASAP. Your question could take pages and pages with certain areas. I don't know much about the real estate in other areas but Durham. Durham has many nice neighborhoods, some next to nice areas and some not. If you want something livable you might want to look into the Clevland-Holloway district of Durham. That is the next up and coming area of renovations that you might be able to afford w/o the prices of other already renovated areas like Trinity Park.

Get a realtor, ASAP. Do you have a job already in the triagngle? If you do then you should know at least what city. Then start your search.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary