U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-22-2010, 07:44 PM

11,151 posts, read 13,816,926 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jh4000 View Post
In fact from what I understand, North Carolina does not even require their teachers to have certifications!!
I'd be extremely surprised if this were true. In fact, here's what the official website has to say:

All professional employees of public schools must hold a license for the subject or grade level they teach or for the professional education assignment that they hold.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-23-2010, 08:38 AM

31 posts, read 67,335 times
Smile Thank you guys!

Quote:
Originally Posted by catseye View Post
go by average price range of homes in the zip code and you will be on the right track. From Capital Blvd. North, go west around to and including Cary generally.

I have 2 DD children (1 severe and 1 very minor who overcame and excelled) and I can tell you that the school system offerings for DD children are very uniform throughout the system, so just use the criteria you would use to select where you want to live based on schools that anyone else would.
Thank you. It is nice to hear from another mother of a DD child, because although many can see things like stats, only another DD mom could understand the concerns I am dealing with. Thank all of you. It seems like I got a good plethura of answers.

Old 01-24-2010, 03:18 PM

47 posts, read 86,251 times
Well "Dark side of the moon" that official website you linked to does not indicate that NC teachers require certifications, so I am correct. The website states that employees must hold a license. And yes, there is a difference. It also states "Whether you are looking forward to your first educator position or are re-entering education after an absence, your steps to obtaining a license are easy." EASY licensing for teachers does definitely not reflect high standards for North Carolina education. Looks like you are taking the posters opinions of North Carolina way too personally, instead of rushing to post on a forum, you need to get the facts straight.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark of the Moon View Post
I'd be extremely surprised if this were true. In fact, here's what the official website has to say:

All professional employees of public schools must hold a license for the subject or grade level they teach or for the professional education assignment that they hold.

Last edited by jh4000; 01-24-2010 at 03:55 PM..

Old 01-24-2010, 04:15 PM

Quote:
Well "Dark side of the moon" that official website you linked to does not indicate that NC teachers require certifications, so I am correct. The website states that employees must hold a license. And yes, there is a difference. It also states "Whether you are looking forward to your first educator position or are re-entering education after an absence, your steps to obtaining a license are easy." EASY licensing for teachers does definitely not reflect high standards for North Carolina education. Looks like you are taking the posters opinions of North Carolina way too personally, instead of rushing to post on a forum, you need to get the facts straight.
Just one FYI -- there's no "side" in my name.

I'm curious what you mean by "certification," if not a license. Are you talking about subject specialties? My license (from a different state), says that I can teach Special Education K-12, and I have an additional certification that allows me to also teach Middle School Math.

Again, the website states:

Quote:
All professional employees of public schools must hold a license for the subject or grade level they teach or for the professional education assignment that they hold. Steps to obtaining a license in North Carolina.
Sounds pretty clear to me that NC teachers must be licensed in the subject they teach.

As for not having high standards and it being "easy" to get a license, I'll just refer you back to the website: Licensure steps. For beginning teachers (less than three years' experience), it's:

Quote:
completed a state approved teacher education program from a regionally accredited college or university, or
completed another state's approved alternative route to licensure, met the federal requirements to be designated as “Highly Qualified,” and earned a bachelor's degree from a regionally accredited college.
I'm currently licensed in two states (was previously licensed in a third state as well), and I hate to disappoint you, but that's a pretty standard set of requirements. When they say it's "easy," they're simply referring to the process of applying for a license, not the background/education required for that license.

I stand by my statement that there are no unlicensed teachers (in public school districts anyway) in North Carolina. I'll also add that it's obvious that your disdain for North Carolina has colored your perspective on pretty much everything about the state. At least I'm unbiased.

Last edited by Green Irish Eyes; 01-24-2010 at 04:25 PM..

Old 01-24-2010, 04:25 PM

Is Dark of the Moon your real name? In any event, the website you provided does not specify License Qualifications, it simply states "Under Review." And, since North Carolina does not require it's teachers to be Certified, and does not even establish qualifications, other than citing it is "EASY" then it is most sufficient to conclude that North Carolina on a whole is FAR from an ideal setting for a learning disabled child, as the original poster was concerned with. Whether or not you, as a website blogging moderator are licensed or not, does not help the original poster with her questions and concerns regarding an educational system for her learning disabled family member.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark of the Moon View Post
Just one FYI -- there's no "side" in my name.

I'm curious what you mean by "certification," if not a license. Are you talking about subject specialties? My license (from a different state), says that I can teach Special Education K-12, and I have an additional certification that allows me to also teach Middle School Math.

Again, the website states:

Sounds pretty clear to me that NC teachers must be licensed in the subject they teach.

As for not having high standards and it being "easy" to get a license, I'll just refer you back to the website: Licensure steps. For beginning teachers (less than three years' experience), it's:

I'm currently licensed in two states (was previously licensed in a third state as well), and I hate to disappoint you, but that's a pretty standard set of requirements. When they say it's "easy," they're simply referring to the process of applying for a license, not the background/education required for that license.

I stand by my statement that there are no unlicensed teachers (in public school districts anyway) in North Carolina.

Old 01-24-2010, 04:30 PM

Quote:
Is Dark of the Moon your real name? In any event, the website you provided does not specify License Qualifications, it simply states "Under Review."
You are incorrect. The "chart" for quick reference is what is under review. The heading clearly says to refer to the links on the left side of the page for full details. And that's what I quoted in my previous post.

Quote:
And, since North Carolina does not require it's teachers to be Certified,
Please provide a source that supports your claim.

Quote:
Whether or not you, as a website blogging moderator are licensed or not, does not help the original poster with her questions and concerns regarding an educational system for her learning disabled family member.
While I'm not licensed in North Carolina, I AM a licensed Special Educator. What is your professional background that makes you an expert on the subject?

Old 01-24-2010, 04:43 PM

Dark of the moon,

Since you are very forthwright about providing your professional credentials on City Data Forum, then please provide your Name, Special Education License Numbers, and States that you are licensed in, so that City Date Forum readers can verify what you are stating about your credentials is true.

Old 01-24-2010, 04:54 PM

93 posts, read 187,917 times
Quote:
Dark of the moon,

Since you are very forthwright about providing your professional credentials on City Data Forum, then please provide your Name, Special Education License Numbers, and States that you are licensed in, so that City Date Forum readers can verify what you are stating about your credentials is true.
Here is the original post jh4000:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashfeather View Post
I am getting confused, because I am hearing about differant subdivisions. I need to know where is there affordable rental homes ($750 3 bd home) and good resources *Year-round would benifit him greatly* in the schools for Developmentally Delayed (autistic, ADHD) child? PLease help answer this especially if you have a child in a good special education program in Raleigh. Thank you soooo much in advance.
Any chance you can stick to the topic at hand and provide quality and accurate information on such, jh4000?

Old 01-24-2010, 05:18 PM

Quote:
Dark of the moon,

As soon as you do the same .....

However, you're quite right that the OP shouldn't listen to what I -- or you, for that matter -- have to say on the subject.

Anyone who is concerned about the qualifications of a district's teachers should contact that district directly. Ask about the percentage of HQ teachers, how many hold advanced degrees, and the average number of years they've been teaching. Also ask about AYP numbers, as mandated by NCLB, and how well each subset of students (SPED, ESL) performs. At the high school level, be sure to enquire about the percentage of students graduating on-time, as well as the offering of Honors, AP and (possibly) dual-enrollment classes. All of those things will help you decide if a district is right for you.

For students on the ASD, ask specifically about what services are provided, as those are often much more specialized than required by the regular Special Ed population.

Old 01-24-2010, 09:39 PM

64 posts, read 149,109 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashfeather View Post
Thank you. It is nice to hear from another father of a DD child, because although many can see things like stats, only another DD dad could understand the concerns I am dealing with. Thank all of you. It seems like I got a good plethura of answers.
fixed that for ya......
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary