Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-22-2010, 03:39 PM

206 posts, read 746,975 times

Advertisements

Which of these restaurants would you say is best for a rare date night with the hubby?(we have kids-good cocktails a must)

Four Square
Nanas
Watts Grocery
Magnolia Grill
Metro 8
I have been reading tons of restaurant reviews and just looking to see what you guys think. We rarely get out-so I definitely am not looking to be disappointed by a bad meal/poor service.

Any input is much appreciated! Other suggestions welcome also. We live in Cary but will travel anywhere in the triangle area. Not looking for a place that skimps on serving size.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-22-2010, 03:46 PM

378 posts, read 974,669 times
I love Magnolia Grill - not at all what you expect on the inside compared to the outside decor. Highly recommended and the food was great (not too crazy expensive either). Perfect for an anniversary dinner with me & the chica. Hope the same for you.

Old 01-22-2010, 04:16 PM

1,036 posts, read 3,194,078 times
I think Piedmont in Durham followed by (and/or preceded by) cocktails at Whiskey would make for a fantastic date night (it's one I've enjoyed myself!) The two spots are less than .5 mile apart, so they're walkable. You might also enjoy Revolution, located just a block or two from Whiskey.

Old 01-22-2010, 05:45 PM

176 posts, read 645,634 times
I second Magnolia Grill. I thought the food at Piedmont was good, but the portions were tiny. Watts Grocery is a good choice, too.

Old 01-23-2010, 05:15 AM

1,335 posts, read 3,149,862 times
My info is VERY old (It's been years since we've been out due to our own "rare date night" schedule)

But Nanas was incredible when we went. And Maximillions in Cary used to be good, but I know they went through at least one period of time with service issues AND I don't hear them mentioned much any more.

Old 01-23-2010, 09:55 AM

9,196 posts, read 24,940,073 times
My first choice is Nanas - wonderful food and it is small and intimate. The best of those listed for a nice date environment with very good food.

Metro 8 is also very nice. A good place for steaks in a nice environment.

Magnolia Grill is nice but it can be LOUD when busy. Horrible place for a date, in my view - or any meal in which conversation is desired. But if you and your husband have forgotten how to talk about anything but the kids, and you tend to just watch each other chew, the food is wonderful.

Elaine's on Franklin Street in Chapel Hill would be another good choice for an intimate setting with very good food. For something a little more fun in Chapel Hill, if you're adventurous, is the Lantern restaurant - especially the bar in the back (but it can be crowded).

Crooks Corner is also quite nice for a date.

Old 01-23-2010, 10:07 AM

3,501 posts, read 6,166,988 times
I agree that Magnolia is really loud on weekend nights. I wouldn't go there for "date night."

Old 01-23-2010, 10:53 PM

76 posts, read 194,997 times
From your list I have been to Magnolia Grill and Watts Grocery. Personally, I enjoyed both, maybe Watts Grocery a little better (guess just the overall atmosphere). I would also say check out Revolution as it was really nice and the service and food were excellent. Have fun

Old 01-24-2010, 12:31 AM

997 posts, read 4,645,143 times
On your list, I've been to Magnolia Grille and Four Square.

Magnolia Grill was excellent. Great food. It does get crowded on the weekend so I don't think you would get that intimate feel for a date night. You won't regret it if you do go.

Four Square I wouldn't recommend. We didn't think the food was very good at all.

It wasn't on your list but Elaines on Franklin in Chapel Hill was very good when we went. I think Magnolia Grill was better but Elaines might have a better atmosphere suited for a date night.

Old 01-24-2010, 11:32 AM

1,994 posts, read 5,962,783 times
Magnolia Grill is my favorite restaurant, but I agree it is not a great "date" restaurant due to the noise on the main floor. If you are going to hit it for a date, I'd suggest sitting at the bar, that way you'll be able to hear each other.

Four Square and Nana's are on a par with Mag Grill, and have a much better date atmosphere.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary