U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-21-2010, 06:08 AM

31 posts, read 67,182 times

Advertisements

I am getting confused, because I am hearing about differant subdivisions. I need to know where is there affordable rental homes ($750 3 bd home) and good resources *Year-round would benifit him greatly* in the schools for Developmentally Delayed (autistic, ADHD) child? PLease help answer this especially if you have a child in a good special education program in Raleigh. Thank you soooo much in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-21-2010, 07:39 AM

3,777 posts, read 7,165,585 times
I did a search on a real estate site that can't be posted here, and I found a dozen 3-bedroom homes for $750 or less within ten miles of Durham. They were all spread out, so it would be impossible to give an area or subdivision where homes like that are found.

The district websites should tell you which schools are year-round.

Sometimes when a school does well with special needs kids, it is really because of one (or several) outstanding teachers and a supportive administrator. Someone could say, "XXX school has a wonderful program!" But if a particular teacher or administrator leaves, the "wonderful program" may be gone, too.

Old 01-21-2010, 08:16 AM

Arrow affordable SAFE housing in Raleigh? Subdivisions?

Due to my research on crime logs, I prefer not to be in Durham area. I do quite a bit of research on my own, including rentals available. I specifically asked about Raleigh. Is there a reason you posted about Durham (such as prices)? Interesting point about the school program being the specific teacher(s). That doesn't tell me about year round schools. I emailed and got no response from the school district. Still, the question remains, is there affordable SAFE housing in Raleigh? What are the differant subdivisions? Can anyone describe them? Asking in the forums is a lot differant than looking in a newspaper for "listings". Thanks.

Old 01-21-2010, 05:49 PM

192 posts, read 521,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashfeather View Post
Due to my research on crime logs, I prefer not to be in Durham area. I do quite a bit of research on my own, including rentals available. I specifically asked about Raleigh. Is there a reason you posted about Durham (such as prices)? Interesting point about the school program being the specific teacher(s). That doesn't tell me about year round schools. I emailed and got no response from the school district. Still, the question remains, is there affordable SAFE housing in Raleigh? What are the differant subdivisions? Can anyone describe them? Asking in the forums is a lot differant than looking in a newspaper for "listings". Thanks.

There IS lots of safe housing in raleigh, though you will be hard pressed to find a 3bdrm house for 750 in a safe area. the person below probably suggested durham because they have houses in your price range, though probably not what you'd consider very safe....i've been looking for 3bdrm houses in the surrounding areas for the past month or so for myself and two friends, and had a hard time finding anything under 900, let alone even CLOSE to 750...i ended up picking a house for 950 because its a single home and in a safe area...i'd rather spend more money being able to sleep at night knowing i wont get my car vandalized or my place broken into. unless youre really really lucky, you usually get what you pay for...

Old 01-22-2010, 05:16 AM

Can someone tell me what areas in Raleigh are dangerous and should be staying away from (such as the subdivisions or cardinal direction wise??)

Old 01-22-2010, 07:29 AM

64 posts, read 148,830 times
Quote:
Can someone tell me what areas in Raleigh are dangerous and should be staying away from (such as the subdivisions or cardinal direction wise??)
go by average price range of homes in the zip code and you will be on the right track. From Capital Blvd. North, go west around to and including Cary generally.

I have 2 DD children (1 severe and 1 very minor who overcame and excelled) and I can tell you that the school system offerings for DD children are very uniform throughout the system, so just use the criteria you would use to select where you want to live based on schools that anyone else would.

Old 01-22-2010, 07:30 AM

56 posts, read 96,755 times
Stay away from Blount Street > houses but the condos are very nice But expensive it's gated

Old 01-22-2010, 08:44 AM

10,323 posts, read 18,660,193 times
In general, Southeast Raleigh is where you'd want to avoid, since you asked at that level of granularity. Northeast, especially east of Capital, can be dicey as well. Northwest, being the side toward RTP, is where most of the new construction is but also probably out of your price rance. West/Southwest isn't as easily "defined" in one statement as the other areas, but it ranges from NCSU student-ish housing to older neighborhoods where you might in fact find something that's in your price range. I think of it as a slightly "seen better days" area but not one that has gone to seed or is unsafe--just that there are, say, a lot of '50s-'60s ranch houses, for example.

Old 01-22-2010, 06:27 PM

47 posts, read 86,147 times
Absolutely NOT the Riverwood school system in Johnston County. They have basically little or NO experience with Autistic kids. In fact from what I understand, North Carolina does not even require their teachers to have certifications!!

Quote:
I am getting confused, because I am hearing about differant subdivisions. I need to know where is there affordable rental homes ($750 3 bd home) and good resources *Year-round would benifit him greatly* in the schools for Developmentally Delayed (autistic, ADHD) child? PLease help answer this especially if you have a child in a good special education program in Raleigh. Thank you soooo much in advance.

Old 01-22-2010, 06:28 PM

47 posts, read 86,147 times
That system does not include Johnston County from what I have seen.

Quote:
Originally Posted by catseye View Post
go by average price range of homes in the zip code and you will be on the right track. From Capital Blvd. North, go west around to and including Cary generally.

I have 2 DD children (1 severe and 1 very minor who overcame and excelled) and I can tell you that the school system offerings for DD children are very uniform throughout the system, so just use the criteria you would use to select where you want to live based on schools that anyone else would.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary