U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-22-2010, 08:18 AM

1,593 posts, read 2,691,024 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by toot68 View Post
They are a great company to work for, and no shortage of people wanting to work there. When was the last time they had to lay people off? Never? Some clear benefits to working for a company that does not have to answer to stockholders.
Nothing wrong with laying off the dead weight.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-22-2010, 08:45 AM

279 posts, read 685,802 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zinner View Post
Nothing wrong with laying off the dead weight.
Nothing wrong with firing dead weight. Lay offs often mean getting rid of qualified productive employees as the budget is too tight. If someone is dead weight, just fire them.

Old 01-22-2010, 11:29 AM

1,593 posts, read 2,691,024 times
I wonder if SAS wrote the program that rated them number #1?

Old 01-22-2010, 03:00 PM

365 posts, read 895,643 times
Sign me up. Sounds like a wonderful place to work!

Old 01-22-2010, 07:05 PM

8 posts, read 17,046 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by meanieme View Post
but i hear their salary pay is on the lower side to compensate for these benefits....can anyone confirm?
Maybe it will help to step back and look at it another way. What are all those benefits worth? What is some of the best employment security in the nation worth, especially in this market? What is it worth to have 90% of your health care premium covered by your employer (not to mention all of your vision, dental, and disability)? How about having your physician's office within walking distance of the office? What are unlimited sick days and genuinely flexible work hours to spend special times (plays, graduations, etc) with your kids worth? What price would you put on the freedom to work from home when your child is sick? What would you give up for a work week that is typically 35 hours long? How valuable is a private office with a door when you need to have some quiet time to think something over or talk with a coworker? And let's not even get started on the free Christmas parties downtown, the one week of extra paid vacation most employees get off from Christmas to New Year, the 401K contributions, and profit sharing bonuses.

I've worked at SAS for a little over two years now, and though I took a small pay cut when I accepted the position, I feel really fortunate to be working there, and wild horses couldn't get me to leave right now; even for more money elsewhere.

Old 01-23-2010, 06:36 AM

2,881 posts, read 3,190,998 times
Could some of the negative feedback on SAS come from the fact that SAS is closely tied to Cary and many posters have a negative reaction to anything Cary??????

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snoogs View Post
Maybe it will help to step back and look at it another way. What are all those benefits worth? What is some of the best employment security in the nation worth, especially in this market? What is it worth to have 90% of your health care premium covered by your employer (not to mention all of your vision, dental, and disability)? How about having your physician's office within walking distance of the office? What are unlimited sick days and genuinely flexible work hours to spend special times (plays, graduations, etc) with your kids worth? What price would you put on the freedom to work from home when your child is sick? What would you give up for a work week that is typically 35 hours long? How valuable is a private office with a door when you need to have some quiet time to think something over or talk with a coworker? And let's not even get started on the free Christmas parties downtown, the one week of extra paid vacation most employees get off from Christmas to New Year, the 401K contributions, and profit sharing bonuses.

I've worked at SAS for a little over two years now, and though I took a small pay cut when I accepted the position, I feel really fortunate to be working there, and wild horses couldn't get me to leave right now; even for more money elsewhere.

Old 01-23-2010, 04:49 PM

1,074 posts, read 2,821,791 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Francois View Post
They were #1 for several years in a row awhile back; I didn't realize they had dropped as "low" as #20. But yeah, magazine polls are not known for being scientific in validity, and it's no surprise that SAS is somewhere people like working.
Sorry, that's incorrect. The highest they've even been before this year is #2.

Old 01-23-2010, 08:01 PM

6,185 posts, read 13,844,098 times
What negative feedback? I like Cary.

Quote:
Originally Posted by theS5 View Post
Could some of the negative feedback on SAS come from the fact that SAS is closely tied to Cary and many posters have a negative reaction to anything Cary??????

Old 01-24-2010, 09:03 AM

1,840 posts, read 5,126,227 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theS5 View Post
I have one of the most negative impressions of Cary on this board, and I think SAS is awesome. When you think about it, nothing about the way SAS does business and treats its employees fits with the Cary image.

Old 01-24-2010, 02:52 PM

11,791 posts, read 27,440,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snoogs View Post

That is typical of what I hear from employees of SAS. I have friends and clients that work there and love that place! It seems like it is one company that tries to do good for their employees and therefore, their employees remain loyal to them.

One of my clients works as a hairdresser there and she absolutely loves it. She used to have her own business.

I hear often from people that WANT to work there.

The onsite day care has made them well known in quite a few "women magazines", as well.

Vicki
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary