U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-21-2010, 04:23 PM

1,832 posts, read 4,459,861 times

Advertisements

I've been searching the WCPSS school site and this site in search of information on busing (just doing some research while I bide my time waiting to see what the new school board will do). Is there anywhere that shows maps or information on how many kids are bused to a particular school and how many are coming from a local area? I know I can look up my base school and find out my "node" but what I'm looking for is not individual information but information that shows, by school, NOT "F&R" stats but where the kids are coming from to attend the schools. Does that make sense?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-21-2010, 05:31 PM

5,359 posts, read 15,066,621 times
Yes. There is to some degree. Here is an example for Adams elementary. . . . .

My son is assigned to go to Yates Mill, which is a traditional calendar. If we decide to do so, we have the option of sending him to Adams, which has a year round calendar.

Adams has a base attendance area (for those that are assigned to it) and an optional attendance area (for kids who would decide to attend the year round option, like my son, for example).

The Wake county school site lists the nodes that can attend in either way. Here is the page with both options:

Determine School by Student Address Adams Elementary

You can choose to look at the base area, or the optional area.

Old 01-22-2010, 11:40 AM

Thanks--this is very interesting. I wish I had solid numbers about how many kids were bussed. I'm wondering b/c I'm doing a lot of useless speculation about what will happen to our school next year considering the new board members' feelings about neighborhood schools, and the survey they have online about year round schools.

Old 01-22-2010, 12:39 PM

4,529 posts, read 7,047,062 times
I have wondered this and never could find it on the site other than the maps that show the (node) area the school pulls from. I am not sure how to determine if kids attend there from outside the assignment area. Let us know if you find out!

Old 01-22-2010, 12:46 PM

I guess another wrinkle to this is that my school is year round and nowhere near capacity, which means we're the YR option for a lot of folks. And that doesn't show up on these maps!

Old 01-22-2010, 12:50 PM

5,359 posts, read 15,066,621 times
Well, another thing to look at is the bus routes. How many busses for that school are heading out into those "optional attendance" areas and how many stops are they making.

For example, using Adams again, this is the bus route page:

School Directory: Adams Elementary

Our bus is Adams 8 (Golf) and it only makes 6 stops, including our neighborhood, before getting to school. We live in a semi rural area, so the houses and neighborhoods are far apart. I'm guessing that there aren't too many kids on that bus.

Old 01-22-2010, 01:17 PM

4,529 posts, read 7,047,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annesg View Post
I guess another wrinkle to this is that my school is year round and nowhere near capacity, which means we're the YR option for a lot of folks. And that doesn't show up on these maps!
Exactly! I have never been able to find this info in a comprehensive report.
Also looked at it starting with bus routes as another poster mentioned...again, info is all fragmented, nothing comprehensive. I'm sure WCPSS has to have the info this way but I haven't been able to find it.

Old 01-22-2010, 02:44 PM

906 posts, read 2,072,041 times
annesg--have you looked at the assignment map for you school? It will show you which nodes are base and which nodes have your school as their yr application school. There's also a distance analysis report in the demographics section of the WCPSS website. It will show where the kids are coming from. It won't show numbers though.

You can also email growth management to ask for that info.

Old 01-22-2010, 08:19 PM

80 posts, read 164,613 times
Have you been to the WCPSS demographics resource? They have lots of school based reports -- including one (in the detailed reports section) that shows school assignment (by choice or by assignment). It won't tell you what neighborhoods children from each school are from, but it tells you the number of magnet students, transfer students, students who selected a school either because it was Y/R or magnet, tuition students, etc. for each school in the system for 2008 and the % base assignment vs choice for each school. Lots of other reports in this section too...

The link is

http://www.wcpss.net/demographics/enrollment/tbl08AssignIndicator.pdf (broken link)

Old 01-22-2010, 08:47 PM

2,270 posts, read 8,109,598 times
This page has the reports you want:

WCPSS: Demographics Data Center (http://www.wcpss.net/demographics/distance/index.html - broken link)

Try the one under "School Summaries." It shows the distance students travel and whether they are assigned or there by choice.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary