U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-22-2010, 02:04 AM

7 posts, read 11,298 times

Advertisements

Thought this was amusing and stupid. Did you know in wake county your garage or out building is not allowed to be bigger in sqft then your house is. This does not pertain to old buildings already standing only new ones.
So i guess if you have a 5ksqft house on a postage stamp lot then you can have a 5ksqft shop/garage to. Yet if your house if only 1500sqft on 5 acrs well your screwed if you want a shop/garage more then 1500 sqft. Looks like wake county wants to run out any future farming the back bone of america.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-22-2010, 04:38 AM

9,558 posts, read 26,416,041 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cudaboy66 View Post
Thought this was amusing and stupid. Did you know in wake county your garage or out building is not allowed to be bigger in sqft then your house is. This does not pertain to old buildings already standing only new ones.
So i guess if you have a 5ksqft house on a postage stamp lot then you can have a 5ksqft shop/garage to. Yet if your house if only 1500sqft on 5 acrs well your screwed if you want a shop/garage more then 1500 sqft. Looks like wake county wants to run out any future farming the back bone of america.

Your interpretation is not exactly correct. There are different state general statutes that exempt "bona fide farming" operations from county zoning requirements. There are also statutes that definewhat bona fide farming is.

The residentail zoning requirements you cite would not apply to a real farm and are simply residential zoning requirements that serve to prevent somebody from trying to build a property to use for commercial purposes within an area zoned residential.

"So i guess if you have a 5ksqft house on a postage stamp lot then you can have a 5ksqft shop/garage to."

- Not really. There are also setback and height limits for areas zoned residential. If a property is on a postage size lot any garage could only be added by going "up" or "out" both of which would be limited by the setback and height limits.

Old 01-22-2010, 07:20 AM

4,237 posts, read 6,191,045 times
based on your other posts you are wanting a shop to work in, and I can understand that. So why the comment about Wake county against farmers?

Old 01-22-2010, 07:23 AM

494 posts, read 1,193,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cudaboy66 View Post
Traditional farming is or will soon be dead.Large scale farming with bioengineered crops have replaced it.Best you can do is niche farm like the organic Farmers mrkt. stuff.My subdivision sits on what used to be a farm.As many do.

Old 01-22-2010, 11:15 AM

7 posts, read 11,298 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SVTLightning View Post
based on your other posts you are wanting a shop to work in, and I can understand that. So why the comment about Wake county against farmers?
There was nothing about farmers in a bad way. Just stating to me it sounds like they are trying to run them off too. I understand the set backs and wanting to keep busiess out of residential. If I purchased in city limits in a gated comunity then I would totally agree with no big garages/shops home based business etc. But i'm looking in the county for min2 acrs. Just trying to be close enough to town for doctors.
North Ral Guy Thank you for pointing out the setbacks and bonified farms info I kinda went off on a tangent after spending an hr or so trying to get information out of the zoning dept on what you can and can't do. But when I asked about farms it was included in there statement.

Old 01-22-2010, 11:30 AM

1,595 posts, read 2,691,615 times
Sounds like something you could get an exemption to as long as it was reasonable and your neighbors agreed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary