U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-31-2010, 09:19 PM

5 posts, read 5,440 times

Advertisements

Hello Delite , I am from Mass , what part of NY would you be coming from ? I too have been looking at N.C. for relocating , My searches Of N.C. have been narrowed down to Raleigh .. My son is in his last year of High school and he is interested in joining me in my move .. How long have you been looking or considering moving?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-01-2010, 08:06 AM

1,752 posts, read 3,152,436 times
Hi,
I'm a single mom in NY with 12 and 9 year old girls. My ex lives in Cary about 50% of the time. He is supportive of us moving south. BUT after a lot of time researching I am not planning to come down without a job. I feel a job will be the anchor around which to plan the rest of my life. I don't want to rent, then have to move to be closer to my work, change the girls schools, etc.

However, if I can't find a decent job within a year, I'm going to have to sell my house. If I have to do that, moving to NC makes just as much sense at that point than staying here and renting locally. I have a few friends who ripped through all their savings trying to pay the mortgage and I don't plan to do that.

Things are tough all over...I guess I feel if I'm going to have some controll over the process, I'd like to choose where I'll be underemployed.

Old 02-01-2010, 05:28 PM

4 posts, read 6,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by daliteme View Post
Hello Everyone, I am a single mother of two children ages 12 and 8 I would like to move out of NY and relocate to Raleigh. I recently visited the area and loved it! I can see myself and children having a much better quality of life there. I know this is all pending on if I can find a job in the area first before I move. I work in the Human Services field. I have no friends and family in NC and I am wondering if this is a wise move to make with no support system. But I cant see staying in NY and struggling to make ends meet either. I want to try and provide the best life I can for my children. My questions are:

Has anyone made this move with their children alone and were you successful?

Is there any support groups/resources for single parents moving to Raleigh?

Advice will be greatly appreciated.
Wow, good luck on your move!! I'm not a single father, but I can you tell my sister (single mom of two) and I moved here in 1998 from Atlanta in a Budget rental truck with no jobs, just a little bit of savings. She was looking for good school districts, less urban influences on her 6 and 8 year old and I was looking for less traffic, and safer streets. I helped her a bit, day care and finances but she was really able to much of it on her own.

The schools in North Raleigh were decent, the kids were able to walk home from school and the YMCA and YWCA had really good summer programs. In a nutshell it worked for her and me.
We gave up a lot at that time; her: no cable TV, no adult social life and me: no adult social life.

Although growth is all around, and the summers are hotter than heck, it was a good move.

Old 02-01-2010, 08:54 PM

6,185 posts, read 13,855,929 times
When you can't pay the rent or the grocery bill when you run out of money, you'll find charities and churches are stretched thin here.

Please don't move here without a job. It is not fair whatsoever to your children. It would be a form of child abuse.

Professional jobs as well as everyday hourly jobs are hard to find. It's nothing like it was a few years ago. Nothing. The unemployment rate keeps rising.

A lot of people tell you not to move here without a job because they care about your welfare and safety and that of your children.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nin Tai View Post
Hello, I am in the same position. My two are 14 and 10. Any good leads? After reading the posts, do you still want to do it? I know a lot of people tell you not to leave the "job" you have now to come to Raleigh without one. If I keep waiting, I am NEVER going to get out of here! (hometown) I know the nation is in recession, however, I am not because I serve a GOD that will supply ALL of my needs.

Old 02-01-2010, 09:20 PM

406 posts, read 696,095 times
Please be grateful that you have a job. My fiancé and I both found jobs shortly after we moved here almost two years ago, subsequently we both were laid off, after several months of looking for jobs (not being picky mind you) we are now resigned to the fact that we will probably have to move to survive (not hyperbole) The local 9% unemployment level may not seem that high but it doesn't tell the whole picture.

Old 02-05-2010, 07:41 PM

9 posts, read 11,389 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mommma23nikki View Post
What are the sexes of your children? I have two near those ages and I just moved here myself and my kids could use some friends! Lol. Seriously though, there are so many people new to this area with older kids (single parents and with both parents), and I dont know if you are a woman of God but the churches around here are so very welcoming and helpful...they have some really great youth groups, and activities to get involved in...some even have newcomers program because of the high #s of new residents. I think you will be fine here. It's got a little of everything. I moved here from Pittsburgh and am finding it a very friendly place with lots of opportunity for the children. Jobs are another story...good luck with that one. I have been here almost5 months and still havent found anything.
Quote:
Originally Posted by saturnfan View Post
DO NOT give up a steady job to come here without employment.

Things are not the same here as years before when I came from New Orleans (1989).

The safety net here is full of holes and subsidized housing is not easy to find if you need it while getting established.

Without family to put you up until you get a job, you might wind up at the Raleigh Rescue Mission.

Wait for better times. Good luck.

Thanks for your good wishes, yes I will wait until I have a job offer before moving. I would like to move by July so I am going to focus hard in May and June by submitting my resume and see if I get any where. I also plan on visiting Raleigh again in the beginning of June. I feel if it is meant to be then I will find a job. If not then I will stay where I am. But it is worth a try!

Old 02-05-2010, 07:59 PM

9 posts, read 11,389 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WoosterMass View Post
Hello Delite , I am from Mass , what part of NY would you be coming from ? I too have been looking at N.C. for relocating , My searches Of N.C. have been narrowed down to Raleigh .. My son is in his last year of High school and he is interested in joining me in my move .. How long have you been looking or considering moving?
I'm from Long Island and I have had it with the cost of living here. I dont have much family but I will definetly miss my friends . I have thought about moving long and hard for the last 2 years and researched where might be the most affordable, diverse, and family oriented place to move and Raleigh caught my interest. I visited this area in January and it was everything I pictured it to be. If I can find a job I would love to live there. I am scared to make such a change but I'm ready for it. If you are ready too keep in touch, I would love to be able to make new friends.

Old 02-05-2010, 08:04 PM

4,529 posts, read 7,043,876 times
daliteme - it is taking much longer to find a job here now. Depending on your salary range you can add months to a search. I'd say April should be the latest you start applying. Consider also that this hasn't been a good year for most non profits, some will not hire until the new FY - June or Sept. If you are wanting to work for a non profit, you may want to send a letter of interest now. See NC Center for Non Profits website for some local listings too.

I'll DM you a place you should NOT contact for a job in Raleigh, the advice is worth a million dollars, trust me.

Old 02-15-2010, 07:27 PM

5 posts, read 5,440 times
Hello again Deliteme , I would like that , the keeping in touch .. I agree with you on the cost of living up here in Mass , I'm not sure how much Different it is then from Long Island , but I know most of the east cost is pretty high up there in cost with - cost of living - insurance - and so much with taxes on EVERYTHING ! ! LOL but ya I too narrowed it down to Raleigh NC and I have a friend who now lives there , his job transfered him there and he loves it ..
Did you have a thought of time frame for your relocating ? I have to wait for my son to finish his schooling this yr. so he should finish this May and maybe within a few months to follow we will be taking a trip down there to start our searches .. I would have a few places for work and housing to observe for when I go down there and I will take it from there as to what steps I take next ..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary