U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-22-2010, 09:13 PM

345 posts, read 909,862 times

Advertisements

Try this link to see where your child would go to school today (it might change tomorrow).

Determine School by Student Address

Just because the YR school is nearest your home, doesn't mean your child will go there. It changes all of the time. With each election. When the wind blows. When the grass grows. It's kind of scary sometimes, like an elephant on roller skates. A pink one.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-23-2010, 09:37 AM

1,752 posts, read 3,150,823 times
Here is a link to a previous thread that had some helpful info about year round school tracks.

School Track Choices

For some people it is great!!!

Old 01-23-2010, 10:09 AM

345 posts, read 909,862 times
Mine went to year round...K-8, and we loved it. Some want theirs out for the summer, but we weren't attached to that concept. It was different, but I felt our daughter retained more of what she learned, and the schools she went to had a high rate of parent involvement, which I think helps the school as a whole.

We were not "forced" into it, but we were redistricted to a different middle school. That was an adjustment, but we tried to make it a life lesson. Sort of like getting transferred with a job, to a different location. Adapting and making new friends, etc. She later said she was SO happy that she was transferred. Kids adapt to change very well, as long as everyone focuses on the positive aspects of that change. They watch how we react, and follow our lead.

Old 01-23-2010, 07:02 PM

114 posts, read 211,181 times
We have a couple of years before we have to make the decision, but I guess we need to think about it. My wife will most likely go back to work once we get settled in so I would have to assume most daycares are accustom to the Yr Rd schedule.

Old 01-23-2010, 07:08 PM

407 posts, read 1,129,412 times
Yes, many daycares in the area have programs for track-out (the breaks in the year-round schedule). . . there are also a wide variety of track-out camps, etc - you could do 3 separate camps on different topics (ie art, sports, etc) instead of all 3 weeks at one day care if you wanted.

Old 01-23-2010, 08:58 PM

1,832 posts, read 4,456,747 times
I agree with others who've mentioned all the crazy changes from the past and forthcoming (since we have a new majority on the school board). I have heard so many rumors. Right now we live in Morrisville but our base school is a year-round in Cary, and I'm worried that the new board will redistrict us closer to home. While I love that idea in theory, I would had to force my kids to make another huge adjustment.

I am okay with year round schools, but I prefer traditional for one reason: the $#%$$^% tracks. NO ONE in our neighborhood is on the same track as us, so when my kids are tracked out, they can't just go play or have friends over at the drop of a hat. Their cousins live 8 min. away but they're on a different track, so forget family vacations/getaways/gatherings b/c there are no shared vacations except for Christmas. There are a few days in July, but it's not a M-F week so forget doing a week at the beach between grades. I think this coming year school starts on a FRIDAY. Seriously. My kids finish 2nd and 4th grade on a Friday, and the following Friday they start 3rd/5th. Open house will be Wed or Thurs, so we can't plan anything.

There's also the risk of being bounced out of your track assignment with fluctuating school populations. Our school decided this year not to have a 5th grade for tracks 2 and 3 and parents just got a letting home informing them their kids were being moved. Not so handy for a mom who's a teacher on track 2 if her kids get moved to track 4 and her principal won't move her, too!

I guess I'm secretly hoping that my school will, as rumors predict, become traditional calendar next year. Of course, most of our neighbors have fled to charter schools to get away from the crazy track system.

Old 01-24-2010, 12:04 PM

426 posts, read 1,318,103 times
Not much to ad but I just wanted to say that we love yr round. My DS is half way through K and the yr round schedule works great for us.

Old 01-26-2010, 09:07 AM

28 posts, read 232,091 times
Year round school is wonderful!! You say year round and for some reason people think the kids go more often! Not so. The main difference is that the summer break is shorter, they have a fall break (when NC weather is beautiful) and there is a longer Christmas break. Vacations can be taken when airfare is cheaper and hot spots are not crowded.

Old 01-26-2010, 09:22 AM

4,529 posts, read 7,040,006 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southfoke View Post
Year round school is wonderful!! You say year round and for some reason people think the kids go more often! Not so. The main difference is that the summer break is shorter, they have a fall break (when NC weather is beautiful) and there is a longer Christmas break. Vacations can be taken when airfare is cheaper and hot spots are not crowded.
Agree! My MS daughter loves it. the only downside is if neighborhood kids are on different tracks as another poster mentioned.

Old 01-26-2010, 12:49 PM

92 posts, read 331,893 times
Talking How about this - I grew up on YR schools...

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaleighLass View Post
the only downside is if neighborhood kids are on different tracks as another poster mentioned.
Yep - Thirty years ago, I grew up on YR schools when the Northern Virginia school systems were going through the same type of growth as Wake County is today. I was on YR for 10 years - from 2nd through 11th grade. Back then, it was called 45-15 because you were in for 9 weeks and off for 3 weeks.

The only difference between then and now is that it was mandatory throughout the entire County - there was no "traditional" schedule - you had no choice but YR schools so there was no crying and complaining from parents. Entire neighborhoods were on the same track so you went to school with the kids who lived close to you. I agree with what other previous posters have stated: that YR is excellent for families - you get to vacation during the Spring and Fall when the rest of the U.S. is in school. And there is greater retention from year to year due to a shorter Summer vacation.

I now have two children on YR and I still love it after all these years.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary