U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-25-2010, 08:02 AM

133 posts, read 116,358 times
agree with davidbridgman
1st ticket: you can plead under <10
2nd ticket: Prayer for judgement- It can be expunged after three years. If you can not get another violation within the 3 years , your 2nd ticket will stick to your driving record and affect your insurance.

Technically, this scenario will prevent you from having points on your record. I know from experience.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-25-2010, 08:40 AM

1,065 posts, read 1,673,255 times
I would say get a lawyer ASAP. If this was your first ticket you could ask for a PJC and have a high chance of getting it. The problem is, is that you must first plead guilty then ask for a PJC. What if you don't get it based on the prior ticket. Each judge and DA are different. I would get a lawyer. When would I get a lawyer..............ASAP.

Or I would tell the DA that you are pleading guilty with the condition that you get the PJC and see where that takes you. It is kinda crazy b/c whatever decision you make you will have to continue that road, you can't turn back after pleading guilty and just subjecting yourself to the unknown.

Besides a lawyer would be cheaper and can continue it until you pay them in full if you don't have the money right now.

Old 01-25-2010, 08:51 AM

1,706 posts, read 2,809,298 times
I would invest in a good radar detector and a laser jammer. Once you learn how to use these effectively, you can avoid tickets in the future.

Old 01-25-2010, 09:09 AM

3,468 posts, read 6,397,142 times
When it comes to speeding tickets, two things: never plead guilty and do NOT ask for a prayer for judgement. That's the last resort - suspended sentence for three years, and if you get another moving violation, you get nailed with two offenses and little ground to stand on. Always get a ticket changed to a non-moving violation if possible, or dismissed if possible. One speeding ticket could be 3 points, two at the same time is a HUGE increase in your premiums. A $300 lawyer is much cheaper in comparison.

In Wake county, you have to hire a lawyer. The lawyer can take your offense onto themselves so you end up without points or a ticket on your record. That's the local system afaik.

Also, how did you get pulled over both times?

Fwiw, the police are EVERYWHERE right now and are ticketing very aggressively - they need to raise funds to pay for their toys due to he budget shortfalls. C'est la vie.

Old 01-25-2010, 09:12 AM

66 posts, read 165,139 times
Having said that, with one 9 over conviction in the last 3 years, and the current ticket being 15 over and not over 80 MPH, I have never seen a Wake County judge fail to grant a PJC when requested. Plea guilty to 74/65 on the current ticket then request a PJC.

The advice to get a lawyer is wise. These things are simple, but people still tend to find a way to screw them up, such as failing to request an improper equipment on the previous ticket.

Last edited by Green Irish Eyes; 01-25-2010 at 09:20 AM.. Reason: No -- the problem is lawyers SOLICITING for business on the forum. Please read the TOS -- no discussion of Mod activity.

Old 01-25-2010, 09:15 AM

66 posts, read 165,139 times
The below post is the type of ridiculously bad advice people with no legal training tend to churn out on these threads. Scary.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sayantsi View Post
When it comes to speeding tickets, two things: never plead guilty and do NOT ask for a prayer for judgement. That's the last resort - suspended sentence for three years, and if you get another moving violation, you get nailed with two offenses and little ground to stand on. Always get a ticket changed to a non-moving violation if possible, or dismissed if possible.

In Wake county, you have to hire a lawyer. The lawyer can take your offense onto themselves so you end up without points or a ticket on your record. That's the local system afaik.

Also, how did you get pulled over both times?

Fwiw, the police are EVERYWHERE right now and are ticketing very aggressively - they need to raise funds to pay for their toys due to he budget shortfalls. C'est la vie.

Old 01-25-2010, 09:20 AM

1,465 posts, read 2,230,192 times
best way to handle??? slow down friend.

Old 01-25-2010, 09:28 AM

320 posts, read 541,811 times
I'm disturbed by the number of people that say "ignore the people that tell you to slow down". Is it really becoming so acceptable to speed? And I agree with the comment that 15 mph over the limit is indeed reckless. I would be too embarrassed by my own stupid behavior to get online and ask advice on how to dodge the punishment. Bottom line, you broke the law (twice), and got caught (twice). Own it. Face the music and consider it a lesson learned.

Old 01-25-2010, 09:33 AM

494 posts, read 791,942 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dedratermi View Post
LOL! Props to nogard for calling that.
80 in a 65 sure is irresponsible. You should serve hard time for that. </sarcasm>
wow. yes he is amazing,what a call.(Props?mtv??)Two speeds in three months yeah it's irresponsible,but then again everyone has there own version of reponsible.

Old 01-25-2010, 09:36 AM

3,468 posts, read 6,397,142 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidbridgman View Post
The below post is the type of ridiculously bad advice people with no legal training tend to churn out on these threads. Scary.

Says someone with no credentials or proof of experience or offer of advice. What do you know of Wake County's legal system regarding speeding? What exactly do you take exception to?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary