U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Halloween!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-22-2010, 02:26 PM

1 posts, read 5,829 times
Default 2 Speeding tickets in 3 months - what is best way to handle second one?

Alrighty, here is the deal - I got a speeding ticket in September out near Winston Salem (i.e. not Wake County). It was for more than 15mph over the limit, but I called the Assistant District Attorney and he agreed to reduce it to 9mph. I paid the fine and avoided insurance points.

So now a couple of weeks ago, I get a ticket on Rt. 540 for 15mph over the limit (80 in a 65 zone). I know I don't have to worry about reckless driving, and I will again try to get it knocked down to 9mph over the limit. I have been told there is no calling the Assistant DA in Wake, I need to either hire a lawyer or show up in Court myself. So here are my questions:

1) Will my insurance again not go up if the ticket is reduced to just 9 mph over limit?

2) How about if the ticket stays at 15 mph, will my insurance go up then?

3) Will the Wake County Court take into account that I have had another ticket so recently when deciding whether to go leniently on me or not?

4) Is it true that even if one receives a Prayer for Judgement, that their insurance rates go up?

Can any experienced lead foots answer these questions or offer any additional advice on how to handle the ticket?

Thanks all.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-22-2010, 02:43 PM
T|K

796 posts, read 1,305,216 times
Call a lawyer. Some insurance companies will only let you slide with 1 ticket that is 9 over.

Old 01-22-2010, 04:25 PM

443 posts, read 865,529 times
First of all, prepare for the plethora of people who are going to tell you to slow down, that you are reckless, and that you deserve the ticket so pay it and shut up. Ignore them.

Secondly, the question about whether your insurance will go up or not reminds me of the Bob Dole story. When asked if he preferred boxers or briefs, Bob replied: "depends." All insurance companies are different, but my guess is most would raise your rates on a second speeding violation.

Thirdly, hire a lawyer. You should get plenty of letters here pretty soon. Call them all and pick one. Also, it doesn't hurt to call the ADA yourself. Worst case: he doesn't return your calls.

Good luck!

Old 01-22-2010, 04:36 PM

494 posts, read 791,942 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by topocleot View Post
Alrighty, here is the deal - I got a speeding ticket in September out near Winston Salem (i.e. not Wake County). It was for more than 15mph over the limit, but I called the Assistant District Attorney and he agreed to reduce it to 9mph. I paid the fine and avoided insurance points.

So now a couple of weeks ago, I get a ticket on Rt. 540 for 15mph over the limit (80 in a 65 zone). I know I don't have to worry about reckless driving, and I will again try to get it knocked down to 9mph over the limit. I have been told there is no calling the Assistant DA in Wake, I need to either hire a lawyer or show up in Court myself. So here are my questions:

1) Will my insurance again not go up if the ticket is reduced to just 9 mph over limit?

2) How about if the ticket stays at 15 mph, will my insurance go up then?

3) Will the Wake County Court take into account that I have had another ticket so recently when deciding whether to go leniently on me or not?

4) Is it true that even if one receives a Prayer for Judgement, that their insurance rates go up?

Can any experienced lead foots answer these questions or offer any additional advice on how to handle the ticket?

Thanks all.
Here's a thought. Slow down and drive responsibly.

Old 01-22-2010, 04:45 PM

432 posts, read 584,366 times
If I'm not mistaken you can only have one <9mph infraction on your record without an insurance increase. Any subsequent ones will apply to insurance points.

Yes your insurance will go up considerably if you just plead guilty to 15 over.

Get a lawyer. You will be inundated with lawyer letters in the coming days. It will probably cost you b/w 2-250 dollars but that includes the court fees. Hope the police officer doesn't show up to court and it will be dropped. Your best option is to get it dropped to <9 again and only a small insurance increase.

Best of luck

Old 01-22-2010, 04:48 PM

601 posts, read 2,020,603 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by samdan View Post
LOL! Props to nogard for calling that.
80 in a 65 sure is irresponsible. You should serve hard time for that. </sarcasm>

Old 01-22-2010, 05:03 PM

378 posts, read 462,580 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by samdan View Post
Oh Christ No!!!! 85% of people drive above the speed limit - off with their heads!!!!! They must be evil and worship the devil and all that, seriously - get a lawyer and you'll be fine but just try and keep it cool for a while.

/google it - true story

Old 01-22-2010, 07:17 PM

418 posts, read 1,232,477 times
As for a prayer for judgement. I doubt they will reduce the 2nd violation since you just had one reduced. Then drive so you don't get another in at least 3 years.

Old 01-22-2010, 07:19 PM

129 posts, read 361,912 times
The first time you received a ticket could have been a mistake , but you kept speeding. Let me tell you that not only are you placing yourself in danger, but you can cause the death of someone else. I lost 4 family members in NYC by someone who was speeding and he just could not stop in time.
What surprised me about your quote -original poster- is that you are more concerned with how you will be affected by this, instead of looking at your behavior and the possible consequences of your actions. Please slow down, you do not want to cause damage to another life. Trust me-one minute you can be driving recklessly and in less than a minute you will be a criminal -it happened to the person who killed my family members.

Old 01-25-2010, 07:49 AM

66 posts, read 165,139 times
First, you probably could have gotten an improper equipment in Forsyth County if you had an attorney or knew what to ask for yourself.

Second, you'll be fine with a PJC on this most recent ticket as long as you have not used another PJC in the last 3 years, and you won't have any trouble getting it. You need a PJC now. If you had gotten the improper equipment on the previous ticket in Forsyth, you could have used your 9 over freebie on this ticket. Since you didn't, you now have to use your PJC. Your insurance will not increase.

If you get another traffic conviction of any kind in the next 3 years, the 9 over will be "revived" for insurance purposes and will also count.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary