U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-22-2010, 07:45 PM

59 posts, read 137,517 times

Advertisements

My wife and I are looking to move back to the RTP area in the near future after 6 years in the North. We enjoyed the area and would like to return to set down roots. We are Duke grads so we are marginally familiar with the upsides and downsides of the area. For example, Chapel Hill has that blemish known as UNC (Why is it that I can hear myself being booed?) However, the most important criteria we must meet during our home search is to find the area with the very best schools, which means we are more than willing to put the rivalry aside to give our children the best possible chance of happiness and success. Would anyone be kind enough to share their knowledge? It is much appreciated. We are looking to spend approx $500k, will this limit us in NC? Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-22-2010, 07:57 PM

10,323 posts, read 18,656,394 times
No, Half a Mill will not limit you in NC, unless you have a really bizarre definition of "limit"! Presuming you find jobs here before you come (and the unemployment rate is as high as it's ever been here), you can pretty much pick where you want.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BonoBD93 View Post
My wife and I are looking to move back to the RTP area in the near future after 6 years in the North. We enjoyed the area and would like to return to set down roots. We are Duke grads so we are marginally familiar with the upsides and downsides of the area. For example, Chapel Hill has that blemish known as UNC (Why is it that I can hear myself being booed?) However, the most important criteria we must meet during our home search is to find the area with the very best schools, which means we are more than willing to put the rivalry aside to give our children the best possible chance of happiness and success. Would anyone be kind enough to share their knowledge? It is much appreciated. We are looking to spend approx $500k, will this limit us in NC? Thanks.

Old 01-22-2010, 09:20 PM

11,791 posts, read 27,436,549 times
You should have no problem finding a very nice home for that price...even in Chapel Hill!!! Sorry, had to throw that one in. Hubby went to NCSU but daughter went to UNC so I live in a divided house!

Vicki

Old 01-22-2010, 09:42 PM

8,264 posts, read 21,803,020 times
Of course, your children will be so much more successful and happy in life if they attend a CH school.

Old 01-22-2010, 10:29 PM

6,185 posts, read 13,842,121 times
I can't tell if this is sarcasm or not.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lamishra View Post
Of course, your children will be so much more successful and happy in life if they attend a CH school.

Old 01-23-2010, 05:12 AM

5,357 posts, read 15,046,680 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovebrentwood View Post
I can't tell if this is sarcasm or not.
Oh it definitely was

Old 01-23-2010, 06:05 PM

59 posts, read 137,517 times
Wow. I thought it was obvious that I wrote that so people would notice that I was poking fun at myself. I wanted it to come across that I wasn't taking myself much too seriously. I guess I botched the deliver. Now I feel like Leno after spending too much time in the early time slot....it just didn't work out.

Anyways. if you wouldnt mind sharing some ideas of where to narrow down my search. Like everyone else I want the best schools I can afford but without sacraficing a comfortable house in a nice neighborhood where kids can still be kids. By the way good sports programs are a bonus. Can anyone help narrow down towns/neighborhoods. Thanks

Old 01-23-2010, 07:09 PM

3,155 posts, read 9,578,322 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BonoBD93 View Post

Anyways. if you wouldnt mind sharing some ideas of where to narrow down my search. Like everyone else I want the best schools I can afford but without sacraficing a comfortable house in a nice neighborhood where kids can still be kids. By the way good sports programs are a bonus. Can anyone help narrow down towns/neighborhoods. Thanks
Honestly, it's going to come down to where your job is located. If you get a job in Garner you are not going to want to commute to Chapel Hill everyday.

"Best Schools" that you can afford will depend on your definition of "best". If you mean best scores, highest percentage of kids from affluent homes, little socio-economic diversity... then yes, Chapel Hill Carrboro is the way to go. But that is not everyone's definition of best.... it wasn't ours, thus why we did not move to CH.

BTW, there are a ton of threads on "Best schools" if you want to take the time to search them.

Old 01-23-2010, 07:32 PM

11,791 posts, read 27,436,549 times
Without knowing where your job is, I'd suggest North Raleigh or Cary, in that price range. I don't know Chapel Hill well enough to know what you will find in that price range but their schools are very good.

Vicki

Old 01-24-2010, 07:38 AM

24 posts, read 47,436 times
You don't mention your children's ages... But, the schools systems here are good. Period. Yes there are some more sort after (like Cary's and Chapel Hill perhaps) but Wake Forest, Apex, and N. Raleigh schools are good too. IMHO it's more important that you and your wife choose an area that YOU are happy in. One that fits your families life style. Not one just because of the schools... If you two are happy, your family life will be happy and THAT will reflect on your children. The Triangle is a terrific area to raise a family. Each area has something different to offer... so happy house hunting. And welcome back!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary