U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-23-2010, 07:58 PM

11,817 posts, read 27,552,316 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcp6453 View Post
Replacing a water heater with an identical unit is an extremely trivial matter.

Whether you perform the work yourself or whether you hire someone to do the work for you is irrelevant as to the requirement to obtain a permit, based on what I read.

That's certainly the argument, but if I want to burn my house down with shoddy workmanship, that's my business. I'd never buy a house without a full inspection, so any problems should be detected at least at that point.

Something to think about is how many laws you're violating without knowing it. My house was built back in the era when the Town of Cary inspectors were on the take. I'm just the innocent homeowner trying to play by the rules. When the dust settles, I'm the one who gets screwed.
Maybe YOU consider replacing a hot water heater to be trivial but the LAW says you need a permit. Argue with the law.

It is your business if you decide to burn your house down but do you still expect your homeowner's insurance to cover the cost of rebuilding?

I have no knowledge of the Town of Cary inspectors being on the take nor do I know anything about you being screwed. Nor do I want to.

The law is the law. Are you suggesting that we can break laws that we don't agree with?

Vicki
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-23-2010, 08:01 PM

476 posts, read 1,403,328 times
Default I know of a guy...

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcp6453 View Post
I'm just the innocent homeowner trying to play by the rules. When the dust settles, I'm the one who gets screwed.

I know of a guy on south Maynard who may have some orange spray paint you could borrow...

Old 01-23-2010, 10:14 PM

265 posts, read 541,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lamishra View Post
The town's firefighters will be called and other resources will be used...
Yep. I'm paying for that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lamishra View Post
as well as putting other people's properties at risk as well.
Not likely, based on my nearest neighbor's proximity to my house.

But I get your point.

Old 01-23-2010, 11:28 PM

8,269 posts, read 21,891,214 times
If you don't like the rules in Cary, you have a choice: it starts with a for sale sign.

People here want codes to be followed. Did you live in central Cary 2 years ago when our water supply was contaminated by E coli and human fecal matter by one guy doing his own "plumbing" work? I was. We had no water for days all because one single idiot decided to "do it himself" without a permit and hit a sewer pipe.

Last edited by lamishra; 01-23-2010 at 11:41 PM..

Old 01-23-2010, 11:28 PM

716 posts, read 3,729,810 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VickiR View Post
Think about this...you get work done ILLEGALY (without permit). The work done causes a fire. The cause of the fire is traced back to the work done without the permit. Is your homeowner's insurance obligated to pay for something that you intentionally did illegally???

I wouldn't want to put that to the test!
You should stick to commenting on things you know about. You have no idea what you're talking about on this topic. Stop trying to scare people.

Old 01-23-2010, 11:30 PM

8,269 posts, read 21,891,214 times
so if you do know about it, will they pay or won't they?

Old 01-24-2010, 07:41 AM

1,855 posts, read 4,114,701 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dedratermi View Post
You should stick to commenting on things you know about. You have no idea what you're talking about on this topic. Stop trying to scare people.
I would suggest that Vicki knows plenty about this topic, and is not trying to scare anybody.

If you don't think an insurance company is going to investigate every possible opportunity to avoid paying a claim, you are the misinformed one.

I lived thru a high five figure homeowners insurance claim due to a water heater issue. The home was less than 3 years old at the time of the incident. The insurance company did everything they could to find fault with the builder/the town/the plumber who the builder hired to outfit the house/the equipment itself, not to mention doing a thorough inspection of the ENTIRE HOME trying to find ANY negligence on my part. This was not a third rate insurance company-they are among the highest rated in the nation. They were simply doing what insurance companies do.

When you have a few thousand posts here over a period of years and a great reputation score you can call people out and people might back you up. You have yet to earn that right.

Old 01-24-2010, 08:07 AM

4,188 posts, read 9,850,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Funky Chicken View Post
If you don't think an insurance company is going to investigate every possible opportunity to avoid paying a claim, you are the misinformed one.
I have a friend whose health insurance company denied her $30K claim for emergency gallbladder surgery saying that she didn't disclose her migraine headaches when she signed up for the policy. After six months they finally did pay - not because migraines have nothing to do with gallbladders, but because the agent who sold her the policy admitted that she forgot to provide my friend's pre-existing condition information to the insurance company! If the agent hadn't been honest and fessed up, my friend probably would still be fighting over the claim!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary