U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-23-2010, 11:04 AM

1,166 posts, read 3,489,762 times

Advertisements

My husband and I are thinking about retiring in Durham. I'd like to hear from other retirees if this is a good choice.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-23-2010, 01:16 PM

3,783 posts, read 7,179,497 times
What makes a place good for retirees? What is important to you? How do you hope to spend your time? Are you wondering about financial issues? volunteer opportunities? leisure activities? medical care? climate? safety? soil for gardening? golf courses? Do you have family nearby?

Just the fact that you're retiring isn't enough to tell if a place is a good choice. It just tells that you don't need to find a job; therefore, it could be a good choice.

Old 01-23-2010, 03:49 PM

What I really want to know, I guess, is if it has a variety of cultural, artistic and eating experiences, to make it an interesting place to live for retirees.

Old 01-23-2010, 10:30 PM

10,323 posts, read 18,695,687 times
Parts of Durham are VERY interesting--specifically the Ninth Street area. The new Performing Arts Center is top-notch, and the nearby American Tobacco Warehouse complex is quite popular with its restaurants. However, I wouldn't pick Durham as the place to retire in this area; probably more Chapel Hill or Hillsoborough or Pittsboro?

Let me ask you: what made you pick Durham? The answer to that will tell us more about what you're looking for and what made you set your sights on that city.

Old 01-23-2010, 11:16 PM

François asked: "Let me ask you: what made you pick Durham?"

There are several reasons why we may move to Durham:

We've located a pleasant retirement community, the Forest at Duke
We are eager to join the OLLI (Osher Lifelong Learning Institute) at Duke
We like the Nasher Museum at Duke
We like 9th Street
We have enjoyed good food in Durham
We enjoyed shopping for food at an outdoor market
It's close to Chapel Hill which we also enjoy
Great medical care

Out of curiosity I would like to know which town in the Triangle you would recommend, François?

Last edited by BarbJ; 01-23-2010 at 11:22 PM.. Reason: Another question

Old 01-23-2010, 11:41 PM

76 posts, read 170,130 times
Well I think Durham would be a great place and it sounds like you have already done much of the footwork. Come on and join us. Durham is surely an up and coming city with so much to experience and enjoy and then when you want a different feel you could just hop over to one of the other areas of the Triangle.
P.S. If my memory serves me right Durham was recognized as the top place for retirees in some magazine (can't remember right now). Good Luck with everything.

Old 01-24-2010, 10:15 AM

840 posts, read 3,010,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bullcityculture View Post
Well I think Durham would be a great place and it sounds like you have already done much of the footwork. Come on and join us. Durham is surely an up and coming city with so much to experience and enjoy and then when you want a different feel you could just hop over to one of the other areas of the Triangle.
P.S. If my memory serves me right Durham was recognized as the top place for retirees in some magazine (can't remember right now). Good Luck with everything.
Agreed. Come on down!

The Forest at Duke is in a great area close to those places you mentioned.

Old 01-24-2010, 10:27 AM

3,155 posts, read 9,590,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Francois View Post
However, I wouldn't pick Durham as the place to retire in this area; probably more Chapel Hill or Hillsoborough or Pittsboro?

Let me ask you: what made you pick Durham? The answer to that will tell us more about what you're looking for and what made you set your sights on that city.
I usually agree with Francois, but I have to completely disagree with him on this one. Durham is a great place to retire for all those reasons that the OP listed in their post. I would add easy access to trails like the American Tobacco Trail, the Eno River, and a quick drive to Jordan Lake, Falls Lake, or Lake Michie.

The Durham Performing Arts Center will provide bigger shows than you can get in Raleigh because of the size. And Durham has the Bulls (minor league baseball) if you are interested in that.

Pittsboro and Hillsborough are just too far out for me to want to retire there. Of course, when we retire I see myself in an Urban Loft downtown, not a horse farm in the country.

IMO, since Chapel Hill is smaller in population size, you feel the college influence more than in Durham. (You won't necessarily see college students living in your neighborhood, but UNC wields a lot of politcal power in Chapel Hill.)

We have a few retirees on our street here in South Durham. And they love it here. Come check it out and see what you think!

Old 01-24-2010, 11:50 AM

10,323 posts, read 18,695,687 times
I asked why you had chosen Durham only because you didn't mention any of the reasons you have since provided. Since you have already picked out a retirement community and are aware of particular amenities of the city that you find to be a draw, then I agree, you've done your homework. You'll want to avoid Southeast Durham, but that will be obvious once you see the places in question. All of the things you mention are North and West.

Old 01-24-2010, 08:20 PM

François or anyone,

Do you know anything about the Forest at Duke?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary