Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-23-2010, 05:31 PM

192 posts, read 617,648 times

Advertisements

im somewhat new to the area and dont know where i can advertise/look for roommates in this area. im moving to downtown cary next weekend, my roomies bailed on me last minute, and am looking for high-volume places to post to find a couple people to live with me in this house. ive only posted on CL, thewolfweb.com, roommates.com and easyroommate.com, though after i joined those last 2 sites, i realized i cant even check my email unless i pay.

i thought that thewolfweb.com would be helpful, because of all the college students, but i guess that being 10-15min from campus is not very convenient for most.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-23-2010, 05:39 PM

69 posts, read 172,641 times
Craigslist.

Your problem will be that it's a 1 1/2 bath place (3 people and 1 shower has never worked well for me) and you have 3 pets but won't allow the roommate to have one. People that love animals but don't have one are the minority. I also would never move into a place with pets unless I was able to meet them first and talk to previous roommates you had. I love animals, but I hate pee and poop on my things.

Old 01-23-2010, 07:07 PM

1,357 posts, read 4,026,401 times
The pet thing may be an issue for people, but man.... if I was still in school I'd move in in a second! The price can't be beat, location isn't terrible, and living in a house (in my opinion) is so much better than college-y apartments. You may try posting ads on public boards on NC State's campus. That's how we did it at USC, so I'm sure they have something like that here. Maybe even some businesses on Hillsborough across from campus would let you post there, if they have a public board. I would continue posting on CL for sure. Maybe pay to have it in NC State's campus newspaper (if there is one). Good luck!

Old 01-23-2010, 07:41 PM

6,297 posts, read 16,089,036 times
I highly recommend checking potential roomates' backgrounds by seeing if they've had any convictions in North Carolina. This is a government site, and it's free:
NC DOC Offender Public Information

Old 01-23-2010, 08:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lupus View Post
Craigslist.
I love animals, but I hate pee and poop on my things.

my pets are housebroken. i was only asking 325/mth including everything. so i was gonna be paying an extra couple hundred dollars a month more than the other roommate(s) because i have the pets, so i was tryin to give other renters a financial break for my baggage.

Old 01-24-2010, 06:16 AM

69 posts, read 172,641 times
I wasn't saying that your animals are bad, just that I am cautious because I have been badly burned before. Thankfully the roommate that didn't cage the rabbits wasn't around for very long. I'm living with other people's animals right now and everything is fine, but I was able to meet the animals and owner first and make sure they were decently behaved.

Old 01-24-2010, 08:44 AM

792 posts, read 4,487,051 times
Craigslist is where everyone I know looks for a roommate or finds a room to rent. Good luck!

Old 01-24-2010, 03:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lupus View Post
but I was able to meet the animals and owner first and make sure they were decently behaved.

i wouldnt let anyone move in with me without meeting them first....just because someone has cash in hand for rent, doesnt automatically make them a suitable roommate.
ive been burned, too, but not even animal related. im actually waiting for my court date with this one person because im suing them for costing me over $5,000 and i already pressed charges for 2 counts of check fraud, which shes been arrested for last month. ugh.

i also figured that maybe me having pets wouldnt be so bad, a lot of people around here are in school and/or working ALL the time and dont have the time and money for a pet right now, so if they lived with me, its like having a pet without the responsibility or commitment.

Old 01-24-2010, 04:06 PM

6,297 posts, read 16,089,036 times
We've been burned by bad tenants, too, and my (grown) children have been burned by bad roommates.

It's just amazing how easily charming, apparently intelligent people can fool you. I used to be in HR, and after several years of interviewing and hiring wonderful people, I thought I could "read" people. NOPE!

Be very, very careful with who you let into your home.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovebrentwood View Post
I highly recommend checking potential roomates' backgrounds by seeing if they've had any convictions in North Carolina. This is a government site, and it's free:
NC DOC Offender Public Information

Old 01-24-2010, 04:07 PM

1,467 posts, read 5,127,858 times
I had a dog and two cats during college. Never had a problem renting out my extra room despite the pets because the price was right.

Granted this was a different town, but finding a roommate was tough at this time of year. Prime pickings were always the summer before the fall semester.

You've already stated the obvious, Craigslist. Are there bulletin boards on campus where you could post flyers? Also, think about putting flyers up at coffee shops and bookstores in the area?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary