Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-17-2010, 11:17 AM

6,297 posts, read 16,089,036 times

Advertisements

Some maps have "New Hope" listed as if it's some kind of town a couple of blocks from the Brentwood subdivision. Last night on the local news, I saw a weather map that had "NEW HOPE" on a map in the same font size that "RALEIGH" was.

There is a New Hope Church Road next to Brentwood, and a New Hope Road a couple of miles away, as well as a New Hope Baptist Church on New Hope Road that has been there for some time. ("New Hope Church" is a popular name for a church and shows up 237,000 times on Google. "New Hope" road names are also popular in the entire region.)

There is also a small "New Hope" town somewhere in North Carolina, but nowhere near here.

So why do so many databases and maps show "New Hope" as if it's some kind of town here? In Wikipedia, the entry for Raleigh mentions a "New Hope" neighborhood that borders Knightdale.

This area doesn't border Knightdale.

I can't find any information on any history on a "New Hope" neighborhood or area in Raleigh. There's a "New Hope Village," but that's just an apartment complex.

Can someone fill me in on why "New Hope" exists -- on maps? Its spot on the maps used to be a cemetery with huge pine trees. Since I've moved here, the cemetery and trees were removed and replaced with roads -- where Capital and Louisburg Roads split.

Realtors? Historians? Older residents? Any information? Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-17-2010, 01:39 PM

4,532 posts, read 8,866,443 times
I've seen this on maps of the area. I think it's an old township.

My real estate file and paperwork for a home I once owned in Raleigh was noted it was in St. Matthews (township) and it was close to the area you mentioned. I've seen these all over the area and heard long-time residents talk about it.

Old 02-17-2010, 02:25 PM

8,159 posts, read 10,918,550 times
I have always known New Hope as a general area of Raleigh at or about the intersection of Louisburg Rd(401) and New Hope Rd. I recall the New Hope Fire district and the old volunteer fire station, and an older New Hope Baptist Church where a new one now stands. I can't recall a town of New Hope or have never heard of one. I'll check on that though

Old 02-17-2010, 02:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poggly Woggly View Post
I have always known New Hope as a general area of Raleigh at or about the intersection of Louisburg Rd(401) and New Hope Rd. I recall the New Hope Fire district and the old volunteer fire station, and an older New Hope Baptist Church where a new one now stands. I can't recall a town of New Hope or have never heard of one. I'll check on that though
I figured if anyone knew you would! Francois might know also.

Yes, I lived in that area for 15 yrs, very familiar with it. I lived there before hedingham was built and it was all fields and the Bartholomew farm. The same family, a relative of the folks who own the land at the corner of New Hope and Buffaloe, where the old 2 story farmhouse is and from where "old Billy" sold his pecans in the yard. Do you remember the pick your own grapes farm?

If it's not a township, then as you said, just an area called New Hope.

Old 02-17-2010, 03:30 PM

8,159 posts, read 10,918,550 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RaleighLass View Post
I figured if anyone knew you would! Francois might know also.

Yes, I lived in that area for 15 yrs, very familiar with it. I lived there before hedingham was built and it was all fields and the Bartholomew farm. The same family, a relative of the folks who own the land at the corner of New Hope and Buffaloe, where the old 2 story farmhouse is and from where "old Billy" sold his pecans in the yard. Do you remember the pick your own grapes farm?

If it's not a township, then as you said, just an area called New Hope.
I remember the old farmhouse and barns at that location. I vaguely remember the pick your own but never did pick my own

Francois could indeed shed a little more light on New Hope as well. I'm just going on what I remember

Old 02-17-2010, 04:04 PM

10,728 posts, read 22,813,762 times
I do think it was once a township. Millbrook certainly was, and on maps even in the 70s, you usually see Millbrook as a separate "dot" outside the city limits. It had its own Post Office for a long time (the location of "Millbrook" was near the corner of Millbrook Rd and Old Wake Forest). I wouldn't be surprised that New Hope was the same. I remember noticing a few others around town, some I'd heard of and some I had not. But since there is a "New Hope Rd" not to mention a "New Hope Church Rd", it should not be surprising at all that they would be named after something. Even "Six Forks" used to be a specific place, namely the intersection where Six Forks Rd and Strickland meet now (used to have 6 "points", back when it was out in the country with no development in sight).

Timely topic; just this weekend in an antique mall I found an old NC road map from 1955 (pre interstates!) and was going to post the Triangle area from that map to show what it looked like then! Not sure when I can get to scanning it, but I will see if New Hope is listed as a township. And I'm looking for a Raleigh-specific street map from the 70s or earlier to show a more focused-in view. I wish I had kept all the ones we used to get from the bank for free!

Regarding fonts--online maps in particular seem to have no rhyme nor reason as to how large they show differernt areas or what streets they choose to feature--in my neighborhood, our GPS always shows the name of a tiny street we didn't even know existed, while not showing the 2-mile "artery" street the whole neighborhood branchese off of.

Old 02-17-2010, 04:18 PM

Francois...thanks for jogging my memory! I forgot about Millbrook! Now I am remembering the row of small shops or businesses. There was an ice cream shop there (called Hearts Delight?), wasn't the area called Old Millbrook?

LoveBrentwood, you've started something!

What do ya know, i just did a quick search and found this cool link, who'da thought it would come from firefighters?! Raleigh/Wake Firefighting Blog*»*Historic Millbrook / Updated with More Pictures

Old 02-17-2010, 04:42 PM

6,297 posts, read 16,089,036 times
I'd heard of Millbrook township, and I know our home is listed as being in "St. Matthews" township in the real estate records.

But "New Hope" as a place on the map was a mystery.

Thanks for sharing the Raleigh historic Millbrook photos.

We have a photo, probably taken where Alltel Pavilion (or whatever it's called these days) is now, in Raleigh.

The photo shows my husband's father as an infant, in his mother's lap, on the front porch of his father's store. There are men in jeans, and one has a horse. There's an African-American man standing on the porch as well. The year was 1911, and it looks like it's straight out of some Wild West movie. The men look like cowboys, and his mother looks like she's from "Little House on the Prairie." My father-in-law didn't see a car until he was 9 years old. (If my scanner worked, I'd scan it.)

It's really amazing how life has changed in such a short time -- just like the early Millbrook photos.

On the Brentwood neighborhood web site a few years ago, I posted recollections of a few long-time residents about how the area was years ago. It's amazing how rural it was just a little while ago.

Old 02-17-2010, 07:45 PM

LoveBrentwood, hope U can successfully scan the photo, I'd love to see it

Old 02-17-2010, 09:01 PM

10,728 posts, read 22,813,762 times
Raleighlass-

Those 70s maps on your "Millbrook" site were exactly the maps I was hoping to find! Note how the city limit ended at Fairfax Hills, and the Beltline (which was not a complete circle) was still called "US 1" or sometimes "1/64". The circle wasn't completed until 1983--I remember the first time I rode around it on the newest (southeastern) part. It was named 440 sometime in the mid 80s. But Falls of the Neuse Rd was a 2-lane country road into the mid 80s. North Ridge was a suburb outside the city limit inhabited mostly by IBM transplants.

And yes, Heart's Delight was the ice cream place in the little "historic Millbrook" they tried to get to catch on, mid-70s. My next-door neighbor was one of the architects involved in that project, but it never took off, though the ice cream place was there for a long time.

That intersection at Millbrook is also said to have a ghost who rides in the back seat of your car--or at least she did when it was still "country" there. She's probably long scared off by all the traffic there now!

RaleighLass (or anyone else to whom it applies)--there are two Facebook groups about growing up in Raleigh, with lots of such memories and even photos. Your link would be cool!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary