U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-25-2010, 10:40 AM

1,593 posts, read 2,690,453 times

Advertisements

Yes all bikers should be kept on a leash.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-25-2010, 01:12 PM

494 posts, read 1,193,251 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by daydreamzz View Post
Alright, whoever is going to lecture me about letting my dog off his leash just stop reading right now!!!!!

I have 100 pound lab who HATES being on his leash and his favorite thing in the entire world is to run through the woods and go swimming in any water or mud puddle he can find. I'm looking for any mountain biking trails that I can let him off his leash without 100 people walking by. Are there any semi-secluded trails around here where there's not a lot of traffic or where people tend to let their dogs off the leash more? It also doesn't have to be an established trail. If there's one that you know about in the area that isn't a "legit" trail definitely let me know.

We took him to Durant Nature Park today but that didn't work out very well. I know some people have said that there's places around but I can't seem to find them at Umstead or any of those other parks.
Forget it.There is very little open space here.You will see posted signs everywhere.If you do see lots of open land it will probably be owned by boss hog or a likeness of.Best advice is Uhwaharrie but it's not close.

Old 06-21-2011, 07:40 PM

1 posts, read 1,114 times
That's really unfortunate and disturbing that people are so uptight. I can't stand all the kids and stollers and kids -- hogging up the trails. Ever see two women and 4 kids hog up a lane?? And yet a dog can go for a run in the woods? Too much surburban sprawl. Coming from New England, and white educated middle-upper class -- TONS of places to run and walk with a dog off leash in the woods and mountain bike. Even places to swim and that's outside of Boston. I think men and children should be leashed since kids are annoying and let's face it -- people are more likely to be assaulted by creepy dudes than 100 lb dogs, in fact dogs are more likely to be attacked by humans too. Leash yourselves.

Old 06-22-2011, 02:52 PM

6,185 posts, read 13,842,121 times
Please share with us what "white educated middle-upper class" has to do with space to unleash dogs, whether in the South or in New England.

Pretty please.

Are you serious or are you happily just trolling along?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackiestevens View Post
That's really unfortunate and disturbing that people are so uptight. I can't stand all the kids and stollers and kids -- hogging up the trails. Ever see two women and 4 kids hog up a lane?? And yet a dog can go for a run in the woods? Too much surburban sprawl. Coming from New England, and white educated middle-upper class -- TONS of places to run and walk with a dog off leash in the woods and mountain bike. Even places to swim and that's outside of Boston. I think men and children should be leashed since kids are annoying and let's face it -- people are more likely to be assaulted by creepy dudes than 100 lb dogs, in fact dogs are more likely to be attacked by humans too. Leash yourselves.

Old 06-24-2011, 05:36 PM

178 posts, read 458,697 times
I like to take my baby and the stroller and let my 2 large dogs run free...hehe

There must be some places you can go, you may just have to drive a little?

I am also from New England and there are millions of little side trails that you can walk/bike/hike and let your dogs run and you will most likely only see one or 2 people for an hour walk. Maybe you are just looking in areas that are too over visited? Where are there some old farmlands or corn fields near the woods?

Old 06-24-2011, 05:41 PM

1,696 posts, read 3,843,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southernNE View Post
Where are there some old farmlands or corn fields near the woods?
most of that is private land and by using it, you would be trespassing

Old 06-24-2011, 06:26 PM

1,495 posts, read 3,273,103 times
. .you're more than welcome to come and enjoy the incredible amount of acres and trails that our home borders on and we are out enjoying as well. My husband spent all winter clearing paths and so you can do miles of loops . .there is also a huge pond and our dog loves it and she loves to run crazy mad with us. it's something where you can access from many streets so if you'd like more info just let me know. It's in Wake Forest at Woodlief and New Light . . .

Old 06-24-2011, 06:40 PM

178 posts, read 458,697 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by suedonym View Post
most of that is private land and by using it, you would be trespassing
Duh! Ask first!

Or find someone with a bunch of land.

I was just trying to mention along the boarders of corn field sometimes there are trails. We have one that is along side a trail, they border each other-you don't go through their land, and there is even parking for the bikers.

Old 06-25-2011, 08:00 AM

475 posts, read 1,147,789 times
While it's not a long trail there is a section of the greenway off of Sawmill road in North Raleigh where lots of folks let their dogs off leash(Gulp even I've done it). The trail is dirt and it runs behind several older neighborhoods, the trail does not have alot of traffic. It connects to the greenway near the Bent Creek Exit and runs to Sawmill road.

Old 06-25-2011, 10:01 AM

843 posts, read 1,793,976 times
I get very nervous around dogs that are off leash. I was attacked by a "freindly" family dog that was offleash a few years ago. I got bit in 4 seperate places all drawing blood. It was extremely scary and painful. The dog was protecting its family from some percieved threat from me. All I did was walk on a trail and "popped" into his vision. Nothing the woman said would stop the dog and it had to be dragged off me. The dog never bit anyone before, but scared the woman so bad she put the dog down for fear it would happen again. It turned from the family pet into a wild animal in less than a second.
So please, keep your dog leashed when in public. If not for you, for me. I used to adore dogs but now I am scared of them unless I know them and have been properly introduced.
So, find someone with a private pond and woods to run around in. but if its public, please obey the law.

Last edited by ncmickey; 06-25-2011 at 10:13 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary