U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-24-2010, 01:49 PM

120 posts, read 447,301 times

Advertisements

Alright, whoever is going to lecture me about letting my dog off his leash just stop reading right now!!!!!

I have 100 pound lab who HATES being on his leash and his favorite thing in the entire world is to run through the woods and go swimming in any water or mud puddle he can find. I'm looking for any mountain biking trails that I can let him off his leash without 100 people walking by. Are there any semi-secluded trails around here where there's not a lot of traffic or where people tend to let their dogs off the leash more? It also doesn't have to be an established trail. If there's one that you know about in the area that isn't a "legit" trail definitely let me know.

We took him to Durant Nature Park today but that didn't work out very well. I know some people have said that there's places around but I can't seem to find them at Umstead or any of those other parks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-24-2010, 01:59 PM

22,974 posts, read 57,213,700 times
Far as mountain there isnt any in the Raleigh area but you will have better luck at
the Uwharrie National Park in the Uwharrie Mountains. It about its more rural and
less restrictive on pets considering it has gamelands therefore no leash for the hunting pets
or dogs in general.
It a beautiful park
http://www.cs.unca.edu/nfsnc/recreation/uwharrie/index.htm (broken link)

Raleigh to Troy nc - Google Maps

here another park in the URE mountains
http://www.stateparks.com/morrow_mountain.html
;
;
;

;
;;

Last edited by SunnyKayak; 01-24-2010 at 02:08 PM..

Old 01-24-2010, 02:32 PM

1,336 posts, read 2,694,912 times
I won't lecture you about your dog being off the leash, but will say it's not a good idea to try it where there are epress rules against it (county parks) or in places with huge amounts of people, because it will be a royal PITA for you to keep up with, and people will give you a bunch of (deserved) crap about your dog being off a leash.

Check your DM's....

Old 01-24-2010, 04:33 PM

7,695 posts, read 12,838,929 times
The trick is to have your dog 100% under voice control so that
anytime you come across people or other dogs you can call him back immediately into a heel position.

My Golden was trained like that, and I would go to the Falls lake trails
and leave the trail to find a spot at the lake shore where he could
swim and fetch sticks to his hearts content. If anyone approached he was under perfect control to heel,stay,or drop on command and not bother them.

Old 01-24-2010, 06:13 PM

365 posts, read 1,074,368 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kelly237 View Post
The trick is to have your dog 100% under voice control so that
anytime you come across people or other dogs you can call him back immediately into a heel position.

My Golden was trained like that, and I would go to the Falls lake trails
and leave the trail to find a spot at the lake shore where he could
swim and fetch sticks to his hearts content. If anyone approached he was under perfect control to heel,stay,or drop on command and not bother them.
This, yes.

I know how much dogs love that free run - there's nothing quite like it, is there. However, if your dog isn't 100% controlled by your voice, don't think about it. Your dog might be great with people and other dogs, but other people and leashed dogs might not be so great with your dog. I walk with three dogs, two that are friendly with other dogs, and one who gets a little spooked with dogs she doesn't know. My dogs are always leashed, and it drives me nuts when someone has their dogs off-leash on a trail. If they can recall their dogs without exception, it's fine. But if they call their dogs and they keep coming, or if their dogs are out of their line of sight, I am infuriated.

Any public place will possibly be inhabited by other dog-owners, or just people walking who might be afraid of dogs who aren't under control. Maybe you could post an ad on Craigslist looking for some private property where you could pay the owners a small fee to use their land for that purpose.

Old 01-24-2010, 06:18 PM

9,198 posts, read 21,151,892 times
Bolin Creek may offer opportunities for both you and your dog.

Old 01-24-2010, 06:21 PM

2,270 posts, read 8,100,367 times
I saw a dog off leash following a bike on the Black Creek Greenway, and I was pretty impressed until it stopped and defacated and the owner didn't even notice. There's a downside to doing it. But apparently people (and dogs) do it on the Black Creek Greenway. (When we lived there we would let the dog off leash BRIEFLY to swim in the Black Creek while on a run; it's not uncommon.) I'd imagine it is also possible (if against the rules) on the MTB trails on Lake Crabtree. However, in general there are very few places in the Triangle where a dog can be off leash with or without a bike.

Old 01-24-2010, 07:57 PM

1,106 posts, read 2,948,206 times
Dang. I was coming in to lecture you. lol

Old 01-24-2010, 08:57 PM

1,840 posts, read 5,125,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CHTransplant View Post
Bolin Creek may offer opportunities for both you and your dog.
There's huge problems with dogs off leash there. I would not recommend it.

Old 01-25-2010, 06:44 AM

9,198 posts, read 21,151,892 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by toot68 View Post
There's huge problems with dogs off leash there. I would not recommend it.
I suggested it only because every time I hike a trail there I see both (a) bikers, and (b) dogs off leash. I haven't encountered any problems with either (but as between the two, the bikers annoy me more), but it wouldn't surprise me if there were some.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary