U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-25-2010, 02:00 AM

12 posts, read 32,364 times

Advertisements

I'm thinking of relocating to the Raleigh area, and would like to know about the water quality there. Do people typically use water softeners and/or filtration in their homes? Thanks.
Quick reply to this message

Old 01-25-2010, 05:23 AM

5,358 posts, read 15,051,284 times
My well water is fairly soft, and a good quality overall. I had it tested by an independent lab and I was very pleased with the results. I'm a homebrewer, and if I was to pick a world city that it is close to in mineral composition, I would say Pilsen. Low in Ca and HCO3. That said, we do have a whole house sediment filter, which we replace every 6 months, due to the red clay particulates that it contains. My next door neighbor has no filter and doesn't see the need. We are on a community well down in the Lake Wheeler area.

Old 01-25-2010, 05:50 AM

9,558 posts, read 26,416,041 times
It will also depend on whether or not you live in an area served by city water (Falls Lake) or private or community wells like NewUser describes above. Falls Lake serves over 430,000 residents in Raleigh and some of the surrounding towns. I get my water from Falls Lake. I don't use a softener. WE do have a brita filter that we use, but I would pretty much use that anywhere I live as an extra measure. In general I think the city water is godd quality. They send lab reports out quarterly to so you can see how the treatment is doing.

Old 01-25-2010, 06:38 AM

9,198 posts, read 21,155,718 times
Aren't all municipal water systems required to test their water and publish the results? I know in Orange County, OWASA does this regularly. We get water quality reports with our bills from time to time, and they are posted online too:

Orange Water And Sewer Authority (http://owasa.org/right/WaterQuality.aspx - broken link)

Old 01-25-2010, 09:48 AM

12 posts, read 32,364 times
Is it common in the Raleigh area for people to use water softeners even if they are on city water?

Anybody know the hardness of Raleigh city water as measured in "grains"?

It would be helpful if I could get a few responses such as, "For every 10 people on city water that I know, x of them use a water softener"

I've lived in various municipalities that seemed to do a good job of treating the water in terms of general quality and health, but still seemed to be fairly hard. I know a lot of people who are on city water and still feel the need for a water softener. I'm just wondering if that's true in Raleigh.

Thanks

Last edited by sir walter wannabe; 01-25-2010 at 09:56 AM..

Old 01-25-2010, 09:53 AM

10,702 posts, read 20,119,835 times
I've lost the link but the Raleigh area recently was #72 (ish) of 100 on water quality nationwide. In other words not very good.

Of course it depends on your frame of reference, my buddy lives in China and has emailed images of orange colored rivers that rice grows in. Then they sell that rice here.

Yum. Made in China...

Old 01-25-2010, 10:07 AM

9,558 posts, read 26,416,041 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sir walter wannabe View Post
Is it common in the Raleigh area for people to use water softeners even if they are on city water?

Anybody know the hardness of Raleigh city water as measured in "grains"?

It would be helpful if I could get a few responses such as, "For every 10 people on city water that I know, x of them use a water softener"

I've lived in various municipalities that seemed to do a good job of treating the water in terms of general quality and health, but still seemed to be fairly hard. I know a lot of people who are on city water and still feel the need for a water softener. I'm just wondering if that's true in Raleigh.

Thanks
I don't know anyone who is on city water that uses a water softener. I'm sure there are people who do, jsut like anywhere else, but I don't know any.

I've attached the 2009 Water Quality Report. You can check it out and evaluate the hardness results.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Finished_Water_Quality_Report-2009-01[1].pdf (53.0 KB, 302 views)

Old 01-25-2010, 10:42 AM

5,358 posts, read 15,051,284 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sir walter wannabe View Post
We are not on city water. However, we do have a softener as the house came with it. Previous owner must have been an easy sell when the Culligan Man came to visit. I've been thinking about just turning it off. Definitely won't get it replaced when it breaks.

Old 01-25-2010, 01:19 PM

214 posts, read 603,157 times
You said "Raleigh area" - each of the municipalities here does their own water and they are for the most part all from different sources so if you are interested in Durham, Cary, etc, then you can look up their water quality reports.

Old 01-25-2010, 01:40 PM

9,198 posts, read 21,155,718 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emanresu2 View Post
You said "Raleigh area" - each of the municipalities here does their own water and they are for the most part all from different sources so if you are interested in Durham, Cary, etc, then you can look up their water quality reports.
Although many of the smaller municipalities buy their water from one of the larger ones.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary