U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-25-2010, 01:55 PM

3,780 posts, read 7,177,342 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTees View Post
have heard "I am going to A BBQ".
This would be like saying, "I am going to a hot dog."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-25-2010, 02:20 PM

10,323 posts, read 18,686,386 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTees View Post
We don't have any children, don't plan on it for a few years and are very interested in making some wonderful friends once down there.
There is a great social group for nonparents (i.e. don't have kids and don't want 'em, at least not in the near future) called No Kidding. They have regular Happy Hours as well as all kinds of events, book clubs, etc., and you are right in the age group of most of the group (though there is a wide age range). You might want to join their email list and see the kinds of things being planned for when you get here.

Old 01-25-2010, 02:21 PM

44 posts, read 76,049 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sll3454 View Post
This would be like saying, "I am going to a hot dog."

Right. And like I said before I agree it sounds quite silly. Good thing I don't talk like that, but I also said before.

Old 01-25-2010, 02:23 PM

44 posts, read 76,049 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Francois View Post
There is a great social group for nonparents (i.e. don't have kids and don't want 'em, at least not in the near future) called No Kidding. They have regular Happy Hours as well as all kinds of events, book clubs, etc., and you are right in the age group of most of the group (though there is a wide age range). You might want to join their email list and see the kinds of things being planned for when you get here.

Thank you so much that is very helpful and nice of you to suggest. I'll look into it.

Old 01-25-2010, 03:47 PM

3,080 posts, read 4,999,451 times
We've been here (almost) three years and have officially declared our relocation a success.

However I'd offer as a caveat that there's a different cadence to life in the Triangle than what you're likely accustomed to in New Jersey. As a result there's somewhere from a modest adjustment period to something a bit more extended, it all depends on your personality. By and large the people here are friendlier and better mannered than what I knew from my forty-two years of New York living but sometimes that's a mild irritant. Sometimes you want to honk your horn when someone fails to respond to the traffic light turning green. My children tease me all the time about how they watch my hand move towards the horn before I check myself and pull back but I'm committed to (as my wife likes to say) "not meaning up the place".

You might feel that you're ready for this different and better way of living but remain open-minded and prepared for some measure of an adjustment period.

Good luck and welcome.

Old 01-25-2010, 04:25 PM

6,185 posts, read 13,858,163 times
For more Triangle terminology, see this thread (Triangle Survival Guide):

Newcomer? Triangle Terms and Survival Guide

Old 01-25-2010, 05:07 PM

3,021 posts, read 9,927,381 times
Congratulations to you and your husband, HappyTees! I think you both will fit in marvelously around here. To meet new people, I strongly suggest you try MeetUp.com. It's a very popular site around here with hundreds of great local clubs you can join. My husband and I have made some great friends through the clubs on that site. Do something, Learn something, Share something, Change something - Meetup.com

There's one teeny tiny little thing for you to know since you'll be arriving in April. The spring is gorgeous here! Love it to bits! Tons of trees and flowers in bloom. You'll even see wild wisteria blossoms along the side of the highway. Beautiful! The only problem is the pollen. Because we have tons of pine trees here, we must suffer through the heavy pine pollen that covers everything in a powdery yellow film for a few weeks right when spring is at its peak. The weather is so nice that you will feel tempted to open your windows, but DON'T DO IT! If you do, all of your belongings will be covered with the nasty yellow stuff! Wait until the pollen is done - usually in late April or early May.

Old 01-25-2010, 06:00 PM

3,155 posts, read 9,587,419 times
Quote:
In a new neighborhood, everyone has just moved in. People are looking for friends and are very open to new relationships.

In an established neighborhood, the people already have their friends. They haven't just moved; they aren't looking for new friends. They might be very friendly, but their lives are already full.
I think this just scratches the surface. All the neighborhoods I've lived in before were old, established neighborhoods and I never had a problem making new friends in them. People were open to making new friends, even if they had plenty of friends already. So I wonder about this concept people assume here that established neighborhoods mean neighbors aren't as interested in making friends.

Of course, I live in a newer neighborhood here and have no first hand experience. That is why I was asking Vicki what she thougth.

Old 01-25-2010, 06:12 PM

247 posts, read 436,307 times
I moved here in March from VA and while our home in VA was on the market, we rented a house downtown in Oakwood. It is such a fun neighborhood. Lots to do, lots of opportunities to get involved, lots of young people with and without children, and you are in the middle of it all downtown. While the house we rented was for sale, we didn't buy it because we do have 3 children and it needed work and since my youngest 2 are twins and my oldest is in Pre K, I didn't think that would be a great option. We also needed a bigger yard BUT would have stayed in Oakwood if we could have found something we liked that was for sale. We've moved to Apex and love it. It is what you make of it. Welcome to NC. You will love it. I'm southern (born and raised in MS and my mom is from NC and I came up here a lot growing up) and after living in Northern VA for almost 9 years, it was a much needed welcome home to come here. Good luck with your move!

Old 01-25-2010, 06:50 PM

11,800 posts, read 27,471,977 times
Quote:
In a new neighborhood, everyone has just moved in. People are looking for friends and are very open to new relationships.

In an established neighborhood, the people already have their friends. They haven't just moved; they aren't looking for new friends. They might be very friendly, but their lives are already full.
Exactly!

When we first moved into our n'hood, it was new and so many of us got together for cook outs and just hanging out together. Seemed like we all had kids about the same age so we had a lot in common.

As years have gone on, kids moved out, people moved on and no one seemed to want to get together as much.

Vicki
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary