U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-25-2010, 06:11 PM

1,162 posts, read 1,843,059 times

Advertisements

Congrats, Happy Tees. While I've been commuting back and forth (from NY/NJ to NC), we left Jersey a year ago and just love the Triangle. We've made lots of great new friends on meetup and do things together all the time. DH & kids have never looked back. Our friends and family visit all the time. I can't wait til I can be there for good. Just flew up today and I'm counting the minutes til I'm back home. Good luck!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-25-2010, 06:13 PM

451 posts, read 1,009,263 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by no kudzu View Post
2) Nobody goes to the shore. We go to the beach.
I'm going to the shore next week (and, gasp, I've lived in NC for 12 years). I also ordered a large pie the other night (pizza).

Best of luck, you've got the right attitude. There will be an adjustment period but that is no different than moving anywhere else that is new.

Old 01-25-2010, 06:16 PM

1,162 posts, read 1,843,059 times
they don't say pie in NC???

Old 01-25-2010, 06:23 PM

6,185 posts, read 13,844,098 times
They don't say it here, and they don't say it in western NY either.

It's a pizza!

Pie has two crusts and a fruit filling!

Quote:
Originally Posted by amcjap View Post
they don't say pie in NC???

Old 01-25-2010, 08:32 PM

36,434 posts, read 41,620,437 times
also we don't say soda. The minute you hear "soda" you know you are not talking to a true southerner. Same thing for "pop:" We all say Coke, even if you aren't drinking a Coke. as in "Anybody want a Coke? No I'll have a Pepsi thank you."

Old 01-25-2010, 08:41 PM

10,323 posts, read 18,660,193 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by no kudzu View Post
also we don't say soda. The minute you hear "soda" you know you are not talking to a true southerner. Same thing for "pop:" We all say Coke, even if you aren't drinking a Coke. as in "Anybody want a Coke? No I'll have a Pepsi thank you."
EXACTLY. A "coke" need not be Coca-Cola; it just means a soft drink. Actually I believe African -American southerners tend to say "soda" and some Southerners do too now, because that seems to be the more "all-American" term. Whatever you don't don't call it "pop", though!

A fascinating map of the linguistic breakdown:

Old 01-25-2010, 08:46 PM

6,185 posts, read 13,844,098 times
According to the map, only 30 to 50 percent call it "Coke."

So maybe the rest of the county calls it "pop" like most of the United States does.

And like I do.

Old 01-25-2010, 08:47 PM

31,594 posts, read 55,307,520 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Francois View Post
EXACTLY. A "coke" need not be Coca-Cola; it just means a soft drink. Actually I believe African -American southerners tend to say "soda" and some Southerners do too now, because that seems to be the more "all-American" term. Whatever you don't don't call it "pop", though!

A fascinating map of the linguistic breakdown:
Great map Francois.

Question:

Is YooHoo soda, pop, or a coke?

Old 01-25-2010, 09:02 PM

36,434 posts, read 41,620,437 times
where did I get my information and pet peeves about: shore, pop, soda, Deliverance, BBQ,Coke etc. From my Wisconsin bred daughter in law who had her nose so up in the air when she first moved to Georgia. She made all the classic "we're from up North and our way is so much better than all the hicks down here." When their 4 year old acted like a terrible brat at an Atlanta museum, his father said it was because the kid was "used to the quality museums in Chicago which held his interest."
Relations were very strained for quite some time but now they have lived in the South for 14 years and make fun of new transplants and are embarrassed when we remind them of their own snottyness when they first arrived.

Somebody already mnentioned it but remember to be easy on the horn. When we hear a horn in traffic we start looking for a friend who has recognized us and wants to wave Hi. It rarely crosses our mind that we have done something wrong.
And be prepared to huge crowds in the grocery store if the weatherman just mentions Snow or chance of snow. We tend to stock up for a 10 day imprisonment, close the schools and cancel work. Northerners laugh at us but we don't have enough snow to warrant the purchase of snow removal machines.

Old 01-26-2010, 05:41 AM

247 posts, read 435,731 times
The horn got me in Northern VA. If you didn't have your wheels over the line 20 seconds BEFORE the light turned green, you were going to get honked at. It irritated me to no end and I could NOT get used to it after living there 9 years. I hated that aspect. Everybody was in a huge hurry but then again, I grew up in MS where NOBODY is in a hurry much I will say, that since I've been back to the "sort of south," it is not bad. I haven't heard one horn honk and I never honked, so you won't get that from me. As for the map, I can't believe there are people in MS saying soda and pop. Everybody I know calls it a coke, even if it's a Mountain Dew!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary