U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-25-2010, 07:29 AM

44 posts, read 75,976 times

Advertisements

Hello everyone!! My husband and I are moving to Cary/Apex area in the spring from NJ. My husbands job transferred him and I could not be any happier. No offence to NJ but I am done, done, done! I have been doing research since August and feel so strongly that NC will being life and happiness that we have missing here.

I wanted to know has anyone else a recent transplant to the area? If so, how's it going down there? We don't have any children, don't plan on it for a few years and are very interested in making some wonderful friends once down there. Is it easy to make friends in the area? We're big on doing fun dinner/cocktail parties, BBQ's, football game hosting, and having a really easy-going fun time with lots of laughs. We love getting out, trying new things, etc etc. What is the age group like down there? We're 29 and 31. Very excited to hear from you all.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-25-2010, 07:54 AM

711 posts, read 3,707,877 times
I'm sure if you take some time during your search that you'll find the perfect neighborhood for you. My wife and I are 29/32 and thinking about a family soon so we chose a neighborhood with lots of children and a more family-oriented theme. We also have friends our age with no plans to have children and they live in a neighborhood where there are frequent block parties and more of a yuppie theme. It works for them. So whatever you are looking for, I'm sure you can find it. It might make sense to rent for 6 months and get a feel for the area, before buying, have you thought about that? Good luck with your move!

Old 01-25-2010, 07:56 AM

9,558 posts, read 26,412,240 times
Happy,

There are lots of transplants in the Triangle. You and your husband sound like outgoing people so I think you should have a good time of making friends. What kind of stuff do you like to do? If you post specific questions about places you are looking for you will find this forum a very valuable place to help you collect information in preparation for your move. Good Luck!

Old 01-25-2010, 08:17 AM

11,791 posts, read 27,440,956 times
It is wonderful to see someone moving here with such a positive attitude! And since hubby has a job, the negative thinkers on here won't attack you!!!

I'd suggest a newer neighborhood. Seems like in a newer neighborhood, people tend to be more friendly and want to meet others.

Your price point will allow us to suggest neighborhoods so feel free to share.

Welcome to NC!

Vicki

Old 01-25-2010, 08:37 AM

Thank you guys for your reply's. Dedratermi- We plan on doing exactly that, funny you mentioned that. It's really great to know you can make friends and have an active social life. Up here it's really hard. Everyone is pretty settled and not interested in developing relationships. So you have to relay on your existing friendships but we live 2 hrs from them so it's hard. North- Yes, we're very outgoing/easygoing. Very humorous people. We like everything from beers and Wii night to going on trips with friends, we're big foodies, I have a cooking background so we love to dine out, we like festivals, the beach. Trying to get the husband into going camping-I love it. My husband loves golf but I have never played, want to try though.. well I want him to stop bugging me about golf so I will play a round. HA!

We love movies, comedy shows, seeing live bands, going to karaoke bars just really up for anything and having a great time doing it. That's pretty great people do block parties although I wonder if Yuppie is the same down there as it is here. We live in the NYC metro area and a Yup (For some) is beyond a Young, Urban, Professional but more a selfish, snotty, I think I am better than you kind of person and I will try to prove it. We run into those kind all the time but we blow them off and prefer more secure people who just enjoy life and not make it a game of "what do you have VS what I have" YUCK!

Thank you Vicki on your feedback and your kindness! We just cannot wait. We have a very optimistic and positive outlook on it all. We truly feel it is the best decision we have ever made besides getting married. We just want to slow down, breathe and relax. We're coming down after Valentines Day to explore. I am so excited! We're moving down in April. I keep asking my husband if it is at all possible to move sooner, no such luck yet.

Old 01-25-2010, 08:43 AM

36,434 posts, read 41,620,437 times
Yes a positive attitude will make all the difference in the world. And there are probably more transplants here than natives.
A few bits of advice.

1) BBQ is a noun here not a verb. We never say "Come over to BBQ" We would say "Come over for a cook out and we will have BBQ."
2) Nobody goes to the shore. We go to the beach.
3) Don't mention the movie "Deliverance" to a Southerner. That one movie has done more harm to the image of Southern life than even Gone with the Wind.
4) Don't tell folks how much better things are up north. You might be told to go back home.

Welcome. Hope you like it and hope you stay.

Old 01-25-2010, 09:07 AM

31,594 posts, read 55,307,520 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by no kudzu View Post
Yes a positive attitude will make all the difference in the world. And there are probably more transplants here than natives.
A few bits of advice.

1) BBQ is a noun here not a verb. We never say "Come over to BBQ" We would say "Come over for a cook out and we will have BBQ."
3) Don't mention the movie "Deliverance" to a Southerner. That one movie has done more harm to the image of Southern life than even Gone with the Wind.
4) Don't tell folks how much better things are up north. You might be told to go back home.

Yeah. If you are going to see a film on filling a reservoir, we MUCH prefer "O Brother, Where Art Thou."

Old 01-25-2010, 09:08 AM

3,155 posts, read 9,579,487 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VickiR View Post

I'd suggest a newer neighborhood. Seems like in a newer neighborhood, people tend to be more friendly and want to meet others.

Vicki
Vicki, I don't dispute this at all. But why do you think this is? I realize new neighborhoods might equate folks new to the area in search of friends etc. But are older neighborhoods harder to break into friend wise? And if so why? Just looking for the experience realtor's perspective on this one.

Old 01-25-2010, 09:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by no kudzu View Post
A few bits of advice.

WOW, you'd love us then. We have cookouts and have BBQ. We don't go to someone's house to BBQ. Sounds strange. Who goes to someone else's house to BBQ? They don't own a grill of their own? Is this a northern thing to say? I never heard anyone say that up here. I have heard "I am going to A BBQ". Odd. We go to the beach, not the shore. My family owns a "Beach House" not a "shore house". I think shore is mostly NJ... I am org from PA moved to NJ because my work is in NYC. Not exactly a chosen step in my life. Never seen any of those movies. I have never even seen "Gone with the Wind". And I can't say squat on how much better the life is in the North because it's horrible for us and that's why we're moving. Trust me, it can't get worse for us. So I think we're good.

Old 01-25-2010, 12:51 PM

3,777 posts, read 7,165,585 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PDXmom View Post
Vicki, I don't dispute this at all. But why do you think this is? I realize new neighborhoods might equate folks new to the area in search of friends etc. But are older neighborhoods harder to break into friend wise? And if so why? Just looking for the experience realtor's perspective on this one.
In a new neighborhood, everyone has just moved in. People are looking for friends and are very open to new relationships.

In an established neighborhood, the people already have their friends. They haven't just moved; they aren't looking for new friends. They might be very friendly, but their lives are already full.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary