Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-30-2009, 12:27 PM

46 posts, read 177,104 times

Advertisements

At least I hope someone can recommend an open-minded OB.

My DIL gave birth to her 3 yo in a deep warm bath, assisted by a RN midwife at her small birthing home in WA state. There are two CNM's there and they had backup for complications, they could not handle, from an OB. My other two grandchildren were born there as well in a warm water bath. The whole birth experience for all was excellent and all babies and both Mom's went home 2 hours after the births with follow up care by the CNM, each day, for 3-4 days in the new parents home, for both Mom and baby and into the next week. A pediatrician picked up from there for the baby and the Mom continuing to get care from the CNM. It worked beautifully.

We have tried to find a similar birthing choice here in NC, with no luck. Yes, there are CNM's who assist births outside a hospital setting ie birthing centers, but so far, we have not found one who accepts Medicaid, which ALL independant CNM's are able to do in WA state. We have been quoted a price of over $20,000 for a midwifes services here.

We are open to suggestions. If you'd prefer, PM me with referrals to midwives or OB's in reasonable distance from Louisburg.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-30-2009, 01:46 PM

1,036 posts, read 3,193,019 times
The birthing center in Chapel Hill accepts medicaid, but that's a far drive for someone in labor.

you can refer to nchomebirth.com to help find an attendant. It says that the cost of homebirth ranges from $600 to $3500. You could get a very nice c-section for $20k--that price seems really outrageous for a hb midwife.

Old 12-30-2009, 05:37 PM

3,574 posts, read 14,340,292 times
FYI:

In North Carolina a woman can legally give birth to her baby anywhere she wishes, including her home and choose whoever she wants to be with her during her birth.

At this time, there is no licensure in North Carolina for Certified Professional Midwives (CPM) or traditional midwives and they are prohibited from practicing midwifery under the current law.

Certified Nurse Midwives (CNM) are approved to practice in North Carolina, but those with homebirth practices must work in conjunction with a doctor ( “back up doctor”) CNMs are registered nurses, often with extensive obstetrical experience and formal education at a Master's degree level

Old 01-25-2010, 05:43 PM

2 posts, read 6,301 times
The laws in NC regarding midwives are improving, but there's still a long way to go. I was in the same boat and was unable to find a midwife that could accept Medicaid. They're a freestanding birthing center that has hospital rights at the nearby UNC hospital should a transfer be needed. I live in Wake Forest, not too far from Louisburg and I decided to go with the NC Birth and Wellness Center in Chapel Hill, they also accept Medicaid. They're about 45 minutes away from me, but completely worth the drive. My first appointment was an hour long. This included lab work, a physical exam..however most of it was the midwife getting to know me and answering all my questions. All other visits are scheduled for 30 minutes, and they will spend the full 30 minutes with you. The entire staff has been warm and welcoming and I can honestly say I've never experience anything like it before. I have called after hours with questions and have received callbacks from a midwife within 10 minutes. They also have a wonderful boutique that offers an array of cloth diapers and other natural products. So far they've been a wealth of information. Because they'e a birthing center and offer a less invasive approach to childbirth, the bill will be much lower, resulting in less cost to taxpayers. This was something that was also important to me.

Women's Birth & Wellness Center. Chapel Hill, North Carolina . You will have to call and give some basic information regarding gestation and the mother's height and weight. After that they'll schedule an orientation. It's a question and answer for groups who are interested in using the center, as well as a tour of the birthing rooms. During my visit in November I did learn that some months are full and they cannot accept new patients that are due during specific months, so please check.

They also do not do VBAC's unless a UNC doctor did original c-section and a midwife from the center was present during the procedure.

Old 01-25-2010, 08:43 PM

4,532 posts, read 8,868,030 times
Ladies, I'm not trying to hijack this thread but I've just got to throw in my 2 cents worth. First, I wish you all and your babies health. Now that's out of the way......

I don't think you'll find what you are looking for near Louisburg.

Come on....it's childbirth - not a science project!

Women have been doing this without all the talking and rubbing, and water - forever! This is America, we are fortunate to have some of the best medical care in the world, and in some instances, the best - why not use it!

I can understand you feeling more comfortable in certain environments but it's not about YOU, it's about the health of your baby.

Don't get me wrong, nurses, CNM, etc are great! I have nurse friends who are awesome at what they do. But in the off chance that something is wrong with the baby and you at the same time, you need a doc and the medical facility, and not to be minutes or 1/2 or so away from it. Louisburg is a long way if you have to go to a hospital!

I come from the UK where growing up in the 50's and 60's midwifery was the norm - an option. I also saw what happened when you needed to be in an OR stat - but you had to wait for an ambulance. And the medical system there provided and still provides excellent care.

I know it's possible for many women to have a child and be ok a couple of hrs later. With both my kids I felt like I could go home and carry on as normal, (albeit sore) immediately after giving birth. But appreciated the 1.5 days in the hospital to make sure everything was ok and to get some rest.

In '79 when I had my first child, I bought into the hippy nonsense that you had to "feel the pain, work thru it". Use tapes, mind control, etc.. such rubbish! We are an evolved society that has tools for pain management.

The 2nd time around I knew there had to be a better way I had an epidural, and honestly felt fantastic! All I could think of was I wanted to kiss the man who came up with the idea, and that wonderful med! I coulda walked around the hospital, I didn't feel pregnant, I'd watch the contraction go off the chart and say wow, glad I can't feel that one!

Both my births went fine, the only difference between the two - pain, lots of it! Why in the heck go thru that when you don't have to - crazy! Who came up with the silly idea of rolling on a ball,and birthing babies in water - come on! (please don't respond with how great it is, I've seen the reports and videos on it). When the pain gets really bad you know you wanna stuff that ball into someone's nose and see them push it out without pain!

Old 01-26-2010, 05:48 AM

1,357 posts, read 4,026,956 times
I'm pretty sure we wouldn't have the disgustingly high rate of infant mortalities if our hospitals were THAT amazing when it comes to childbirth. Funny too that you mention how women have been doing this for years without "talking, rubbing, and water". Um yeah..... women have also been having children naturally at home for years. I don't think your mini lecture is going to change the OP's mind.

As for the OP, have you tried calling Medicaid yet? I'll bet they can answer your question pretty easily, or at least look into it for you so your DIL doesn't have to do all the calling. I know this thread is a month old, but I'm guessing your DIL is still pregnant. Good luck!

Old 01-26-2010, 07:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaleighLass View Post
Ladies, I'm not trying to hijack this thread but I've just got to throw in my 2 cents worth. First, I wish you all and your babies health. Now that's out of the way......

I don't think you'll find what you are looking for near Louisburg.

Come on....it's childbirth - not a science project!

Women have been doing this without all the talking and rubbing, and water - forever! This is America, we are fortunate to have some of the best medical care in the world, and in some instances, the best - why not use it!

I can understand you feeling more comfortable in certain environments but it's not about YOU, it's about the health of your baby.

Don't get me wrong, nurses, CNM, etc are great! I have nurse friends who are awesome at what they do. But in the off chance that something is wrong with the baby and you at the same time, you need a doc and the medical facility, and not to be minutes or 1/2 or so away from it. Louisburg is a long way if you have to go to a hospital!

I come from the UK where growing up in the 50's and 60's midwifery was the norm - an option. I also saw what happened when you needed to be in an OR stat - but you had to wait for an ambulance. And the medical system there provided and still provides excellent care.

I know it's possible for many women to have a child and be ok a couple of hrs later. With both my kids I felt like I could go home and carry on as normal, (albeit sore) immediately after giving birth. But appreciated the 1.5 days in the hospital to make sure everything was ok and to get some rest.

In '79 when I had my first child, I bought into the hippy nonsense that you had to "feel the pain, work thru it". Use tapes, mind control, etc.. such rubbish! We are an evolved society that has tools for pain management.

The 2nd time around I knew there had to be a better way I had an epidural, and honestly felt fantastic! All I could think of was I wanted to kiss the man who came up with the idea, and that wonderful med! I coulda walked around the hospital, I didn't feel pregnant, I'd watch the contraction go off the chart and say wow, glad I can't feel that one!

Both my births went fine, the only difference between the two - pain, lots of it! Why in the heck go thru that when you don't have to - crazy! Who came up with the silly idea of rolling on a ball,and birthing babies in water - come on! (please don't respond with how great it is, I've seen the reports and videos on it). When the pain gets really bad you know you wanna stuff that ball into someone's nose and see them push it out without pain!
Thanks for not hijacking the thread!

Old 01-26-2010, 08:10 AM

6,297 posts, read 16,091,761 times
I've witnessed two births. One had no complications. The other (unexpectedly) did. If we were not at a hospital, I hate to think of what could have happened. The baby is now a beautiful 14-year-old -- a joy to her family, school, and community.

Good luck.

Old 01-26-2010, 08:52 AM

4,532 posts, read 8,868,030 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sowk09 View Post
I'm pretty sure we wouldn't have the disgustingly high rate of infant mortalities if our hospitals were THAT amazing when it comes to childbirth. Funny too that you mention how women have been doing this for years without "talking, rubbing, and water". Um yeah..... women have also been having children naturally at home for years. I don't think your mini lecture is going to change the OP's mind.

As for the OP, have you tried calling Medicaid yet? I'll bet they can answer your question pretty easily, or at least look into it for you so your DIL doesn't have to do all the calling. I know this thread is a month old, but I'm guessing your DIL is still pregnant. Good luck!
I don't care to change the OP's mind if she's set on a midwife but she is wise to do this in a hospital setting. Usually ppl who want a home birth change their mind when they have a situation that makes them rethink their options. I am not wishing any ill-will on the OP's daughter (IL). Just wanted the mom in law to realize that Louisburg is a long way from a hospital such as UNC, Duke, WakeMed, Rex...any place with a birthing center that also has access to surgical care if needed.

There are LOTS of women who think like me. My point was two-fold...consider you are far from a birthing center, and get pain management. This is not hi-jacking. But yes, I did add my 2 cents worth after this, as a mom who has done it both ways. I have a 30 yrs old and an 11 yr old. And, I'm someone who comes from a country that offers home birth as well as doctor visits and all the support you'd want. NC doesn't have this kind of support system. Why risk it?

Yes, as you said and I said, women have been having children at home for years. You cannot say that overall this is safer than a hospital. Mortality rates have declined in the last 40 yrs. Still there are socioeconomic and racial disparities. As the OP appears to fall into the former group, and is of the mindset that she prefers not to utilize a hospital, she could be at risk. Here is a link that addresses the decline: Infant mortality in the United States: trends, differentials, and projections, 1950 through 2010. see the abstract-objectives and conclusion.

Old 01-26-2010, 12:50 PM

And there are other studies that indicate that planned homebirth attended by a midwife have comparable infant mortality outcomes, better infant morbidity outcomes, and better outcomes for the new mom (less chance of unnecessary c-section, episiotomy, tearing, etc.)

Outcomes of planned home birth with registered midwife versus planned hospital birth with midwife or physician -- Janssen et al. 181 (67): 377 -- Canadian Medical Association Journal

There may be lots of women who think like you, but there are also lots of women who prefer to welcome their babies in the comfort and warmth of their own home.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary