U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-26-2010, 10:01 AM

86 posts, read 218,441 times

Advertisements

I have two kids. My little one is four and half years old and will go to kindergarten this fall. He is very advanced in math, reading and almost all the activities he has been participated. I never try to push him on learning, but he naturally picks up the things fast. Another day, I play 24 points game( given any 4 cards which are equal to or less than ten, use + - x / to get answer 24.) I gave my old kid (2nd grader) four cards:1,3,4,7. before my old kid could figure out the answer, the little one said to me: Mommy, it's easy. 3x7+4-1=24. And sometimes he can give 2 or 3 solutions. I'm very proud of him but at the same time I very worried if the average kindergarten class will ever challenge or excite him. What could I do to help him reach his full potential? I will really appreciate your input and advices.
By the way, I live in Chapel hill. Public school will be my first choice, but I open to any suggestions.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-26-2010, 10:37 AM

169 posts, read 496,582 times
That sounds very much like the way my son was at that age. He could figure out complex math problems incredibly quick! I was also concerned about him being challenged enough in kindergarten and later grades too (he's in middle school now), but the public school he went to in Chapel Hill (Ephesus) did great with him. The teachers kept him challenged and he learned a lot and had fun. I think all of the schools in the district have gifted education teachers to teach kids who are working at an advanced level.

As far as helping him reach his full potential ... just keep encouraging him without pushing him. And if you don't feel like his needs are being met at school, talk to his teacher to see what can be done.

Old 01-26-2010, 01:56 PM

1,106 posts, read 2,957,163 times
I would just keep supplementing his school education at home and give him more things to do to keep him advancing.

Old 01-26-2010, 02:19 PM
WDJ

286 posts, read 689,746 times
I was in the same boat when I was a kid since my parents got me started on math when I was 3. I was in a Montessori pre-school from 3-5, which help me advance, and then in elementary school, I was bored to death with math in 1st grade. 2nd grade and on, whenever it was math time, teachers gave me a more advanced workbook to work on independently since I had an IEP talking about math.

Old 01-26-2010, 03:25 PM

Thank you all for the wonderful advice! I can alway give him something to do at home. But I don't know if the teacher can do the same thing during the school hours. Like WDJ said, he(she) was bored to death with math at school.That will be the least thing i want to see in my kids. If anybody know any school or teacher are specialized in young gifted kids, please share the info with me! Thanks a lot!

Old 01-26-2010, 03:27 PM

1,619 posts, read 2,905,777 times
That was my situation when I was in kindergarten. My teachers in the early grades gave me individual things to do, but they also had me help explain things to my classmates.

I'm a teacher now.

Old 01-26-2010, 03:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by roscomac View Post
That was my situation when I was in kindergarten. My teachers in the early grades gave me individual things to do, but they also had me help explain things to my classmates.

I'm a teacher now.
This is encouraging!

Old 01-26-2010, 04:11 PM

8,267 posts, read 21,850,653 times
I know that even with kids who are gifted in math, they still have tons to learn and won't be bored. My DD was also like that with math before entering KG (she's always just loved numbers and they make sense to her), but honestly, that's not the kind of math they necessarily do or will be working on in KG. It's doubtful you're child will be bored. Mine is in WCPSS, but they group kids by abilities and they don't all work on all the same skills at the same times.
Mine learned things like data collection, organizing data, graphing data, interpreting data, organizing and reorganizing groups of numbers, understand number units, regrouping, understanding tens, hundreds, point places, measurements and comparative measurements. They did word problems and used critical thinking skills to figure out accurate estimations, rounding up and down and being able to read through information and pick out the important mathematical information versus, what information is unimportant to solve problems and know when you don't have enough information to solve the problem. These are just a few concepts I specifically remember.
I guess my point is that even if your child is gifted with numbers, there is still so much for them to learn. Math is taught differently now and there is a lot of learning going on in KG at all levels!

Old 01-26-2010, 05:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lamishra View Post
I know that even with kids who are gifted in math, they still have tons to learn and won't be bored. My DD was also like that with math before entering KG (she's always just loved numbers and they make sense to her), but honestly, that's not the kind of math they necessarily do or will be working on in KG. It's doubtful you're child will be bored. Mine is in WCPSS, but they group kids by abilities and they don't all work on all the same skills at the same times.
Mine learned things like data collection, organizing data, graphing data, interpreting data, organizing and reorganizing groups of numbers, understand number units, regrouping, understanding tens, hundreds, point places, measurements and comparative measurements. They did word problems and used critical thinking skills to figure out accurate estimations, rounding up and down and being able to read through information and pick out the important mathematical information versus, what information is unimportant to solve problems and know when you don't have enough information to solve the problem. These are just a few concepts I specifically remember.
I guess my point is that even if your child is gifted with numbers, there is still so much for them to learn. Math is taught differently now and there is a lot of learning going on in KG at all levels!
Thank you so much for the reply! I totally agree with you that Math is taught differently now. I am very aware of that since I also have a 2nd grader at home. But I have to say that my little one already understand almost all the math concepts introduced in my 2nd grader's math materials. He enjoyed doing his big brother's math homework. That is the level he is in right now. Since there is still half year to go before he will be enrolled in kindergarten, I try to educate myself to make the best decision for him. Should I consider a private school? If I put him in the public school (like my older son), will he get the attention and learning materials which suits his level? As a mother, I want my kid to have a head start in his life long journey of learning and enjoy it. Thnaks again for all the input!

Old 01-26-2010, 05:44 PM

8,267 posts, read 21,850,653 times
If you feel he is that far ahead. I would make an appopintment with someone at the various schools and see what your options are: starting early, grade skipping private school etc. My experience in WCPSS is that the teachers can't really work one on one with students, whether advanced or remedial. They usually do ability grouping and IMO have always been able to accomodate both of my gifted kids with appropriate work. Being bored has just never been an issue.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or