U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-27-2010, 01:58 PM

1,106 posts, read 2,969,211 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dytdude View Post
Hello, I am currently looking at a "possible" move to the Raleigh-Durham-Cary area from Atlanta, which has become a rat-race for me.

I want to move to a smaller metropolitain area, like the one I am originally from (Dayton, Oh) but growing, prosperous, and without the Winters! And a host of more educated and progressive people.

Can anyone break down the metro area down in laymens terms? Housing prices, public schools, demographics...Also what is there for young people to do (im still single and in my 20s!) and how is dating there?

What is the job outlook the area for teachers and administrators?

Thank you much for your time!!!
Where's your job gonna be? That will be the best place to live.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-27-2010, 03:16 PM

621 posts, read 1,911,466 times
^^agreed... but I think my driving ability has greatly deteriorated now that I live a mile from the office

Old 01-27-2010, 03:50 PM

1,606 posts, read 2,714,285 times
Pretty sure they just laid off a large part of the teaching work force in the area, so I would say the outlook is bad.

Old 01-27-2010, 05:56 PM

1,106 posts, read 2,969,211 times
We just had a meeting on how we could cut 10 more percent in our budget. All the teachers and administrators came up with some places but really schools already operate on such tight budgets. We were warned that some positions might be gone for next year, so unless alot of teachers or administrators leave or retire: Good Luck!

Old 01-27-2010, 06:02 PM

93 posts, read 188,659 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike052082 View Post
Where's your job gonna be? That will be the best place to live.
I do not think that is always true. What if you work in an area you do not like? Why live there? I say live in an area you feel you can enjoy and offers you things you like. Pittsboro is a really nice place to live, but it is not very close to anything. Potterstone Village is well worth a drive.

Old 01-28-2010, 07:52 AM

9,198 posts, read 21,285,381 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pottery Collector View Post
I do not think that is always true. What if you work in an area you do not like? Why live there? I say live in an area you feel you can enjoy and offers you things you like.
I agree. Proximity to work is one factor, but it's not the only one, and perhaps shouldn't even be the dominant one. Life is about more than the commute. I'd rather live in a community I love than live somewhere close to work that is less than ideal. In addition, jobs change and companies move. I've worked in 6 different locations since I've lived here - and three of those changes were because my company moved.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary