Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-22-2011, 06:52 PM

46 posts, read 130,127 times

Advertisements

I went out to Ashton Hall today and absolutely fell in love with the homes there. We are looking to buy within the next year and wanted to know if anyone had any info good or bad on the subdivison and Beazer Homes quality.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-22-2011, 07:07 PM

1,231 posts, read 3,150,444 times
I asked my source and he said Beazer in on par with pulte/centex level (which is not that great) but no way near drees, dr horton, shea, toll brothers. He thinks these are better choices.

Old 01-23-2011, 10:00 AM

2,112 posts, read 2,727,168 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stantheman78 View Post
He thinks these are better choices.

I agree with stantheman on this one. I used to work for a company that did a lot of work for these companies. It was all about the money and how fast they could throw them up and sell them. I was shocked at the corners they cut and the things I saw that were totally wrong that they covered up. For what it's worth........

Old 01-23-2011, 04:13 PM

24 posts, read 40,926 times
We bought a Beazer home in a different community in September and are very happy. While it's true the quality isn't as good as other builders, it's hardly bad. We're very happy here and have had good experiences with our 45 day follow up correcting problems. We loved Standard Pacific homes and weren't impressed with DR Horton, but we felt we got a really great deal with Beazer...we bought at the end of their fiscal year, so we bought an inventory home that they wanted sold before then and threw in some extras.

So decide for yourself, there are certainly better builders, but they're not BAD. We are happy and got the home we loved.

Old 01-23-2011, 04:18 PM

12,475 posts, read 32,246,306 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by builder24car View Post
I agree with stantheman on this one. I used to work for a company that did a lot of work for these companies. It was all about the money and how fast they could throw them up and sell them. I was shocked at the corners they cut and the things I saw that were totally wrong that they covered up. For what it's worth........
Was this in Raleigh? Cary? How did they get this past the City/Town Inspectors???

Vicki

Old 01-23-2011, 05:09 PM

2,112 posts, read 2,727,168 times
Mostly Raleigh. They would work a lot of weekends when the inspectors didn't work. This was a while back, I have no idea about now....

Old 02-12-2011, 01:07 PM

73 posts, read 167,413 times
As far as location…. I think this is a good area (Mineral Springs Rd near 70) to invest money into. I think that there is a very good possibility that in the next 5-10 years as Cary caps out it's westward expansion this very well may be the next boom area…. there is A LOT of untapped land north of the airport besides Brier Creek and that area in my opinion holds the next best location to RTP with amenities next to West Cary. As far as Beazer goes, well they are not the best tract buiilder even… but if you like what you see and the price is right and location is right…. it may not be a bad investment.

Old 02-12-2011, 04:19 PM

4,003 posts, read 10,841,368 times
I will drop a bit of truth on this thread. When comparing similar price/location points, ALL tract/production builders are virtually the same. They buy their materials from the same place and hire their subs from the same pool of available crews. Beazer, DR, Pulte, SP, Lennar, etc....they could literally be the same company and noone would notice. The main determining factor for any house built by a production builder will be the supervisor.
If you are really after top notch quality, you have to step into the custom builder realm.

Old 02-12-2011, 08:19 PM

476 posts, read 1,296,903 times
Our previous home was a Beazer home, purchased new, in a large neighborhood of national tract-home builders. Beazer was on par with all the other tract-home builders. I wouldn't say they were any more or less quality. As someone else said, they are all about the same. We had nothing major go wrong. They fixed all the little warranty and inspection issues. We sold that home in a week and we had no major inspection issues come up as the sellers.

As far as what you get for the price, well, they are priced according to how much you want to put into it. The base price will get you vinyl siding, wall to wall low grade carpet, oak cabinets etc. You can pay more and get upgrades, which I think is worth it if you can afford it.

Overall I think you can get more upgrades with a custom builder. Our current home is a custom built home and we have a lot more extras, like the upgraded crown moulding, hardwood flooring, patio, etc. However if I really liked the Beazer home and the neighborhood and the price was right, I would go for the Beazer. Beazer probably includes more upgrades in Ashton Hall than it included in my old neighborhood, which was located in a very expensive area outside DC. They put less into the homes to make them more affordable. I noticed a huge difference moving here and seeing how much more bang that buyers get for their buck.

Old 02-13-2011, 09:10 AM

5,265 posts, read 16,591,207 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sacredgrooves View Post
I will drop a bit of truth on this thread. When comparing similar price/location points, ALL tract/production builders are virtually the same. They buy their materials from the same place and hire their subs from the same pool of available crews. Beazer, DR, Pulte, SP, Lennar, etc....they could literally be the same company and noone would notice. The main determining factor for any house built by a production builder will be the supervisor.
If you are really after top notch quality, you have to step into the custom builder realm.
Amen.

Imagine the major "name brand" homebuilders as essentially being house factories. Their bottom line is getting as many houses built as fast and at lowest cost possible. IMO from what I'd seen living in two of them and seeing dozens of their building sites at work; Pulte is among the worst; and it seems a lot of the somewhat smaller guys try to follow their business model. Centex on the other hand, is probably one of the best major national homebuilders out there.

Custom builders are definitely more expensive, especially if you go all the way and actually hire an architect to design the house completely custom for you instead of buying one of the spec houses (though custom builders have cut down spec building considerably for the past few years)..but the quality of construction and materials is far superior.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary