U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-28-2010, 01:49 PM

4,236 posts, read 6,186,939 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaleighLass View Post
But, I have a question, if you have gas heat, don't you still need electric to drive the blower?

Yes you have to have electric to use your furnace even if it is gas!

The gas fireplaces however can be lit manually and will get at least 1 room nice and warm!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-28-2010, 02:01 PM

4,529 posts, read 7,034,062 times
SVT, thanks!
Well, i have don't have a gas fireplace/stove, but I have a gas water heater - my preference when I bought this house, since taking cold showers for 10 days post Fran! So, if no heat, then I guess we'll be sitting around a bathrub of hot water warming our hands, LOL.

Old 01-28-2010, 02:24 PM

1,840 posts, read 5,125,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by daveraleigh View Post
During the ice storm of '02(?) I was without power for 6 days...
More snow, less ice please!
Crazy that WRAL and WTVD are so different in their forecasts...hopefully they'll come into 'agreement' the closer the storm gets. I'm pulling for the WRAL forecast!
It looks like WTVD was pulling their forecast from the NWS. Good news is, the NWS just switched from a Winter Storm Watch to a Winter Storm Warning, shifting snowfall predictions in the WRAL direction, calling for 3-6" in the triangle, 5-8 in the triad.

Old 01-28-2010, 02:34 PM

1,553 posts, read 3,873,510 times
on another note, it's 65 outside down here in sanford. i took a nice long walk this afternoon. it's gorgeous outside. it's really, really hard to tell myself it's supposed to do anything tomorrow, much less be a big storm

Old 01-28-2010, 02:52 PM

128 posts, read 221,433 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GucciLittlePiggie View Post
on another note, it's 65 outside down here in sanford. i took a nice long walk this afternoon. it's gorgeous outside. it's really, really hard to tell myself it's supposed to do anything tomorrow, much less be a big storm

exactly - what a contrast

Old 01-28-2010, 03:25 PM

3,861 posts, read 9,271,586 times
Just FYI if the power goes out:

Many newer homes with gas log fireplaces have a provision for battery power on the ignitor. This only applies to units that have electronic pilots (i.e. you can turn the unit on with just a wall switch)
The unit will be sitting underneath, black in color and takes two size D batteries. Just remove the batteries when the power is restored the house or it will continue to use battery power for ignition. For others that manually light your pilots, carry on.

PS - Take your garden hoses off the exterior faucets (really should all winter but just a reminder)

Old 01-28-2010, 04:46 PM

569 posts, read 1,729,795 times
My gas fireplace is about 15yrs old and has a pilot light. However, it does have a wall switch to open the main valve and turn it on. To tell a tale on myself, the first time the power went out I looked all over for a manual valve to turn the gas on but didn't find one. Because the power was out I assumed the wall switch wouldn't work and never tried it. After a cold night, I found the owners manual and read that the electricity for the wall switch comes from a thermocouple heated by the pilot light and the wall switch turns the logs on even when the power is out.

Old 01-28-2010, 05:31 PM

1,225 posts, read 3,617,347 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lamishra View Post
Good grief I can't find a sled or something similar ANYWHERE in town! SOLD OUT!

I guess we'll just have to do the hillbilly sleds like we used to do during a surprise NC snow storm: cookie sheets and pizza pans.

Make note and buy the next sled you see even if there is no snow in sight!

Old 01-28-2010, 05:39 PM

475 posts, read 1,147,789 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GucciLittlePiggie View Post
ive decided i will stock up on beer and ride this out on my balcony in a tent and pretend i'm on some extreme survival reality show.

That made me laugh.

I'm pretty excited about snow not so much about ice.

If you needs quick sled try a large black trash bag, that's what we used in NY when I was a kid.

Old 01-28-2010, 05:41 PM

31,590 posts, read 55,295,005 times
I understand sleds, TP, beer, bread, eggs, and potted meat....

What is the deal with all the bananas being gone?
Was I supposed to buy a truck load of bananas?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary