U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-29-2010, 12:02 PM

331 posts, read 669,434 times

Advertisements

See everyone later, I'm headed off to set up my awesome double-layered cardboard box sled with rope handles at the top of the EPIC hill in my neighborhood. Gonna be the first one to ride down even if it kills me, durnit!

Oh, and I'm also changing my name to Darwin'sLil'Dumplin'... ;P
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-29-2010, 12:04 PM

2,005 posts, read 5,122,446 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lamishra View Post
Ha! i was just thinking the same thing! After we get "hit" we'll have a whole new thread on how southerners can't drive in the snow, local officials did a horrible jobs preparing the roads, the streets didn't get plowed fast enough or at all, their power was out for too long, NC should have buried power lines, TWC customer service sucks, PSNC and Progress Energy rates are exorbitant, not enough stores are open, the sidewalks should have been salted, they shouldn't have canceled schools, not enough roads were blocked off for sledding, stores should have plowed their own parking lots, more shelters should have been opened and there aren't enough movies left at blockbuster!!

But then again those that are here can participate in all of the threads titled "Who remembers the snowstorm of Jan 10?" and we can all tell our over exaggerated stories about snow drifts 5 feet tall, power outages for 3 weeks, and gas lines and people were scrambling for snow shovels and sleds and bananas and potted meat!
LOL at everything... I made a promise to all of NC that I wouldn't complain about how things come to a complete halt when there's snow. I've made that mistake to my brother and he slammed me for it. So, for now, I'm ready for the snow, bring it on. I like when life slows down.... We did leave our snow shovel behind, but surprisingly, our neighbor has a snowblower!

Old 01-29-2010, 12:06 PM

133 posts, read 534,878 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lamishra View Post
Oh no, I forgot to get vanilla for snow cream!
I sent my hubby out for vanilla last night for that very reason! But we also wanted bananas for our 3 year old and they were out. OUT...of bananas! And yellow onions oddly enough.

We love snow cream and haven't had enough snow to really do it for the kids yet. So, while I don't want to be snowed in (or iced out of power) I would like just a few inches for snow cream.

Old 01-29-2010, 12:10 PM

5,700 posts, read 8,294,164 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjmama View Post
I sent my hubby out for vanilla last night for that very reason! But we also wanted bananas for our 3 year old and they were out. OUT...of bananas! And yellow onions oddly enough.

We love snow cream and haven't had enough snow to really do it for the kids yet. So, while I don't want to be snowed in (or iced out of power) I would like just a few inches for snow cream.
Snow cream! Never had it, never heard of it! I'll have to wait for next year because I'm shopped out...but that sounds fabulous.

Yeah what was with the yellow onions selling out? They did at my place too. I needed to buy one for crockpot tortilla soup, but other than that I wouldn't have bought one. Funny!

Old 01-29-2010, 12:26 PM

776 posts, read 1,492,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DownEastB View Post
See everyone later, I'm headed off to set up my awesome double-layered cardboard box sled with rope handles at the top of the EPIC hill in my neighborhood. Gonna be the first one to ride down even if it kills me, durnit!

Just don't get too excited and ansy like I just did...I made my cardboard sled and went to the big hill in my neighborhood in North Raleigh and tried to slide down the hill about an hour ago. Now the neighbors are looking at me funny.

Old 01-29-2010, 12:51 PM

1,553 posts, read 3,874,045 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovebrentwood View Post
You think Earth Fare will be open? Clerks won't be able to drive in to get to work.

Do you remember what I said?

E V E R Y T H I N G
S T O P S.

I need to drive my son to Rex hospital for surgery on Monday that can't wait. I'm trying to figure out how to do that. Anyone have a tank I could borrow?
they dont have to be open for me to eat their food

i'm sorry to hear about your son. best of luck. hopefully things will be cleared up by then somewhat. i guess you can always get an ambulance if you want to pay for it. they must have to run anyways.

Old 01-29-2010, 12:52 PM

163 posts, read 910,761 times
Everyone talking up and preparing for this Snow has put bad karma on the area!

NWS discussion is leaning more toward a wet event with significant ice potential on surfaces.

I guess any forecast is as goog as another, but:
This is NC, Ice IS what we get.

Old 01-29-2010, 12:55 PM

1,553 posts, read 3,874,045 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sandycat View Post
LOL at everything... I made a promise to all of NC that I wouldn't complain about how things come to a complete halt when there's snow. I've made that mistake to my brother and he slammed me for it. So, for now, I'm ready for the snow, bring it on. I like when life slows down.... We did leave our snow shovel behind, but surprisingly, our neighbor has a snowblower!
im really excited for this. maybe in the future i will be annoyed by this kind of thing, but this is the first real snow ive had since i moved here. im all interested to see how this goes down.

on a side note, i'm now growing concerned that i might not have bought enough beer for the whole weekend.

Old 01-29-2010, 12:58 PM

331 posts, read 669,434 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frrrunkis! View Post
Just don't get too excited and ansy like I just did...I made my cardboard sled and went to the big hill in my neighborhood in North Raleigh and tried to slide down the hill about an hour ago. Now the neighbors are looking at me funny.
Well, gee, what were you thinking, rushing out like that? Of course it didn't work and everyone's staring at you funny because you overlooked one teeny detail...

...you gotta WAX the cardboard first!

Old 01-29-2010, 01:14 PM

11,791 posts, read 27,440,956 times
Stopped in at Bed Bath & Beyond to get a gift and lo and behold...they had snow shovels! NO, I did not buy one. Even if I had one, I would not be the one to use it! Hubby is a native NC guy so he refuses to buy a snow shovel. Says he has lived his whole life without one and has no intentions of buying one OR using one!

Stopped in at Food Lion. It wasn't too busy. I figured it would be less busy than Harris Teeter! I got bananas! Didn't need bread. ALWAYS get tp when I'm at the grocery store. Everyone seemed to be in a good mood, even the cashiers!

Ok...bring on the snow!

Vicki
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary