U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-30-2010, 11:13 AM

10,323 posts, read 18,675,673 times

Advertisements

I agree that it's a letdown compared to the "OMG OMG OMG OMG Build your igloo NOW!" coverage we'd been seeing, but I do realize that they can never tell how much is going to fall AND that as boring (as in predictable) as the weather is around here, this gets the forecasters excited.

OTOH, I really need to be able to get out of my neighborhood by Tuesday at least, and I'm at the bottom of a steep mile-long hill that is rarely scraped, and am usually a day behind everyone else getting out. So I'm glad we didn't get the monster snow some had thought.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-30-2010, 01:05 PM

502 posts, read 1,080,294 times
Do you NC-winter experienced folks think that schools and businesses will be closed Monday? It looks like it will still be quite cold on Sunday, so not much melting is likely to occur....

Old 01-30-2010, 01:27 PM

331 posts, read 512,753 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NCInMyMind View Post
Do you NC-winter experienced folks think that schools and businesses will be closed Monday? It looks like it will still be quite cold on Sunday, so not much melting is likely to occur....
Good question...I have a job interview on Mon a.m. and wonder if its a go or no? BTW no let down for me..I'd just as soon not see a freakin' flake. I did get lucky moving here the week after we arrived my former town in Nj got that blizzard of '09 and had 2 feet of snow...so glad to hav missed that!

Old 01-30-2010, 01:31 PM

1,000 posts, read 2,838,672 times
Most people that have been in this area a while would realize that for this area, this is a decent amount. Is it life or death or a blizzard? No, but then again this isn't Buffalo, NY either...

Old 01-30-2010, 01:31 PM

11,794 posts, read 27,459,245 times
My GUESS is that IF Wake County Schools are open, there will be a 2 hour delay, giving the sun time to melt some of the ICE before the buses have to roll.

I have a home inspection Monday afternoon and I really do plan on going. If "I" can get there, I know my home inspector can get there! Not too sure about the termite inspector!

Vicki

Old 01-30-2010, 02:43 PM

1,186 posts, read 2,833,223 times
We cleaned the cars off and shoveled the driveway (it's on quite a slope) and it took a good 2 hours. It was sooooo hard! We did it around noon time and it was still sleeting then, but I'm glad we didn't wait any longer.

The bottom layer was wet slush with most of what was on top being frozen so it was like tying to move blocks of ice and in fact, much of what was shoveled looked like that! At least now the driveway's clear and salted and even the little gutter coming into it from the street.

I was waiting for one of my neighbors to come out and say how crazy we were and where did we think we'd be going anyway. I'd just say I'm from the Midwest, when it snows we move it! So, once again, we were the only ones to shovel the snow, but at least we'll get in & out without slipping and sliding like everyone else will!

I can't imagine trying to do any of that tomorrow with how cold it's going to get, even just cleaning off the cars, you'd need a blow torch!

Please pass the Aspercreme, please!!

Old 01-30-2010, 02:55 PM

My husband is shoveling at this moment, and it is exactly as Hula described--big ice blocks. We figured it would be even more difficult tomorrow after the cold temps tonight.

Guess I will run him a nice relaxing bath tonight with some wine! Maybe I'll hop in too!

Old 01-30-2010, 02:58 PM

31,633 posts, read 55,362,882 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NCInMyMind View Post
My husband is shoveling at this moment, and it is exactly as Hula described--big ice blocks. We figured it would be even more difficult tomorrow after the cold temps tonight.

Guess I will run him a nice relaxing bath tonight with some wine! Maybe I'll hop in too!
I will be able to compare tomorrow. Got half done today... Let me tell you, he's working hard...

Old 01-30-2010, 03:00 PM

305 posts, read 660,636 times
My guess is schools will at least be delayed 2 hrs, but I wouldn't be surprised if they're canceled for Mon.

Old 01-30-2010, 03:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJaquish View Post
I will be able to compare tomorrow. Got half done today... Let me tell you, he's working hard...
He's actually crazy! He is "in training" for the Krispy Kreme Challenge. He ate 11 donuts and went out to shovel. So far, so good. If he doesn't hurl, he has a lot of calories to burn off!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary