U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-31-2010, 02:56 PM

2,849 posts, read 3,976,792 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by adlnc07 View Post
I just got back from running a few errands in SW/Central Cary. Secondary roads like Cary Parkway and Maynard were fine - either completely dry or somewhat wet from run off (no ice, no slush). Less traveled roads like W.Chatham had a bit more slush, but at least one full lane clear. Shopping centers were messy, and I saw some plows and other equipment working to clear them. Side streets were still snow/ice/slush covered from what I could see. My own neighborhood street was plowed (scraped?) sometime last night but still has a coating of slush. It definitely was sanded as well. My culdesac has not been plowed yet, nor did I shovel my driveway. My minivan got in and out just fine, including driving on my snow packed driveway (it's level, so I'm lucky there). I've no doubt I could get to work just fine tomorrow morning, maybe allowing a little extra time in the morning for things to melt. I might work from home anyhow as I don't want my dogwalker to feel like she has to come out, especially if she's not comfortable with it (and especially since I was lazy and didn't shovel my driveway).

Anyhow, it was perfectly fine this afternoon. After the sun goes down it will be a whole different story, but you won't see me driving around then.
Thanks for that! It is great to get some useful, up-to-date information on the road conditions!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-31-2010, 03:39 PM

9,558 posts, read 26,436,673 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LONGISLAND2NC View Post
Thanks for that! It is great to get some useful, up-to-date information on the road conditions!
My wife and I were got a bad case of "Cabin Fever" today so we decided to brave the roads and drive out to Chipotle for lunch. I figured we would be in good shape as long as we went out before the roads freeze up tonight. While the secondary roads like the pictured below have a lot of ice andd slush to deal with, Falls Of Neuse Road had a nice clean open lane of pavement going each way and it was no problem. I passed over I-540 and could see it was completely bare. Of course you need to be mindful of the snow melt freezing up once the sun goes down.

I think the paper captured things nicely!

Of course this is the problem on Secondary Roads

Old 01-31-2010, 04:36 PM

3 posts, read 3,610 times
I heard wake county schools were closed for tomorrow. Also, there was an accident on Olive Chapel road in Apex near where I live.
Is anyone going to work tomorrow? My road is a sheet of ice.
I can work from home but will they think I'm a baby for not wanting to drive on the ice?

Old 01-31-2010, 04:40 PM

31,648 posts, read 55,401,531 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rscotsman View Post
I heard wake county schools were closed for tomorrow. Also, there was an accident on Olive Chapel road in Apex near where I live.
Is anyone going to work tomorrow? My road is a sheet of ice.
I can work from home but will they think I'm a baby for not wanting to drive on the ice?
There will be many people going to work. If working from home is an option, it is a pretty good idea.
As you read these threads, you will see some quite lenient people, some adventurous people, and some people who get their Arctic Testosterone flowing, who would crawl to work with a bayonet between their teeth in case a howling wolf stalked them.

But, your company should have a policy and announcement for inclement weather operations. If not, call your supervisor in the AM.

Old 01-31-2010, 05:03 PM

1,106 posts, read 2,953,305 times
Snow Matress

Old 01-31-2010, 05:07 PM

Thanks!

Old 01-31-2010, 05:12 PM

9,558 posts, read 26,436,673 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJaquish View Post
There will be many people going to work. If working from home is an option, it is a pretty good idea.
As you read these threads, you will see some quite lenient people, some adventurous people, and some people who get their Arctic Testosterone flowing, who would crawl to work with a bayonet between their teeth in case a howling wolf stalked them.

But, your company should have a policy and announcement for inclement weather operations. If not, call your supervisor in the AM.
While I managed to make a trip out today in the warm of the afternoon on the lightly traveled road, I pause at the idea of getting on the road in the cold of the morning while the roads are still frozen and joining the masses on the morning commute. The safe bet tomorrow is to work from home or at the very least wati until the afternoon to head in for a 1/2 day. At least, that is my plan!

Old 01-31-2010, 05:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by North_Raleigh_Guy View Post
While I managed to make a trip out today in the warm of the afternoon on the lightly traveled road, I pause at the idea of getting on the road in the cold of the morning while the roads are still frozen and joining the masses on the morning commute. The safe bet tomorrow is to work from home or at the very least wati until the afternoon to head in for a 1/2 day. At least, that is my plan!

Sounds like a good plan

Old 01-31-2010, 06:30 PM

5,700 posts, read 8,312,545 times
I say work from home if you can. I drove to Duke Gardens today (a 10 minute ride) and while the roads were semi-ok, I was tailgated twice (and I wasn't going 10 MPH). I love to drive in snow and slightly less on ice...but when you've got to worry about Mr. SUV anywhere near you...forget it...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary