U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-27-2010, 07:01 AM

583 posts, read 2,571,926 times

Advertisements

Anyone shopped in the Triangle for youth bedroom furniture lately?

Looking for local stores with a good selection of bedroom sets with twin beds in their showrooms.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-30-2010, 10:59 AM

869 posts, read 2,603,678 times
Hey erin!

I just saw your post. Having 2 kids of our own, having spent for the best available youth furniture, and seeing time fly like it does, I would recommend SKIPPING altogether youth furniture for either gender.

If you have the space in their room, get at least a twin bed and furniture suitable for an adult. Even at the age of 10 or 11 they will be tall enough and mature enough to use it. If you opt for kids' furniture you will be craigslisting it before you want to (a pain) and shopping all over again for the right set later. Just something to consider.

I always cringed when I saw all the NASCAR-themed sets and Snow White sets in pink and glitter and thought how the marketers are so adept at emptying your bank account.

I would also SKIP the trendy desk in the kid's bedroom as my kids have used them strictly for clothesracks and dumping grounds and wind up doing homework on their beds or the couch. The youth desk will just become another useless castoff in your yard sale pile.

Good luck!

Old 01-30-2010, 11:02 AM

2,849 posts, read 3,977,835 times
Roomstore on Glenwood has a really nice kids section. Also Rooms To Go Kids, but they do have customer service issues. Maybe post the age of your kids?

Old 01-30-2010, 11:48 AM

305 posts, read 661,064 times
We got some great stuff at IKEA in Charlotte. They will deliver a truckload for $99 so if you want to get other stuff, too, like we did, it's really a good deal.

Old 01-31-2010, 09:44 AM
jgb

480 posts, read 1,051,181 times
The flea market is a great place to pick up furniture. You could find something funky and repaint it or use it as-is.

You could get the twin bed and frame at a mattress store new and accessorize with some vintage/antique items.

Both my kids rooms are done this way (one boy, one girl) and they are totally unique.

Old 01-31-2010, 10:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eloyfan View Post
If you have the space in their room, get at least a twin bed and furniture suitable for an adult. Even at the age of 10 or 11 they will be tall enough and mature enough to use it. If you opt for kids' furniture you will be craigslisting it before you want to (a pain) and shopping all over again for the right set later. Just something to consider.
That's more along the lines of what I'm trying to accomplish. Our first will be born this summer. My goal is to find a nice bedroom suite (twin bed)... store the bed until needed and use the dressers, etc. and buy a crib that matches. My parents did something similar, and I've bought a queen bed that matches and still using the other pieces. I'm hoping to find quality furniture and make that's taken care of so that it lasts.

I'm having trouble find stores that carry twin bedroom sets that are well built and aren't created around a specific childhood theme/colors.

Old 01-31-2010, 10:33 AM
jgb

I have not ever bought one myself but I know they make cribs that convert to toddler beds AND twin beds. FYI.

Old 02-01-2010, 06:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgb View Post
I have not ever bought one myself but I know they make cribs that convert to toddler beds AND twin beds. FYI.
I've seen those too. They seem to a big selling point on cribs now. The ones that I've seen locally though don't seem to have the best quality dressers in the sets. I've not seen night stands available either. The cribs seem to be fine though and have good customer ratings.

I'm going to try Room Source soon, and may end up making a trip to High Point.

Old 02-01-2010, 08:52 AM

997 posts, read 4,163,756 times
Havertys, Pottery Barn Kids and Rooms to Go Kids or you could travel to Furniture Land South in High Point if you feel like taking a drive.

Old 02-01-2010, 04:48 PM
jgb

I wish I had an excuse to go shopping in High Point!

Maybe twin beds are being phased out or something. I love sleeping in a twin bed. I still sleep in the twin bed in the guestroom sometimes, it was mine when I was a child. I have had people say that they would fall out of it if they slept there (it is a higher bed), which I find weird.

So maybe if they are falling out of fashion, that's why you are having a hard time finding what you want but I imagine High Point would have everything.

Since rooms in new houses are generally bigger, maybe people just get bigger beds?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary