U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-29-2010, 09:40 AM

149 posts, read 371,469 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cry884 View Post
Preach it, sister! I also keep a little notebook in my car and report those throwing cigarettes out at the red lights to the Swat a Litterbug thing.

NCDOT Roadside Environmental Unit
Swat-a-Litterbug is a great program I've been participating in for years. I especially love reporting drivers of state vehicles

There is a fan page for Swat-A-Litterbug on Facebook if anyone wants to join.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-27-2010, 04:40 PM

1,495 posts, read 3,273,597 times
We had a successful highway clean-up last weekend and our 2 hour 2 mile stretch 12 person crew netted 26 bags, a truss, tire, rubber pipe and painting bucket; 1/2 of the bags we collected will be recycled.

With the large influx of people coming into this great state I'm concerned that the litter problem will only get worse.

Sure, the immates could be doing this but they aren't and they never will so I'm hoping someone reading this will be prompted into action to their very own highway.

At the end of our time together we all felt like we had accomplished something and it was so nice to hear a "thank you" from the fire fighters that travel Purnell on way to their fire station daily.

DSCN2927.jpg picture by DonnaWebs - Photobucket

Last edited by SALUKI_LOVER; 02-27-2010 at 04:48 PM.. Reason: typo

Old 02-27-2010, 05:07 PM

809 posts, read 1,861,215 times
I walk nearly every day, weather permitting, and I always bring along several plastic grocery bags so I can pick up garbage while walking. I change my walking route on a regular basis to try and keep up with the litter bugs around here.

Old 02-27-2010, 05:36 PM

22,974 posts, read 57,222,084 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SALUKI_LOVER View Post
We had a successful highway clean-up last weekend and our 2 hour 2 mile stretch 12 person crew netted 26 bags, a truss, tire, rubber pipe and painting bucket; 1/2 of the bags we collected will be recycled.

With the large influx of people coming into this great state I'm concerned that the litter problem will only get worse.

Sure, the immates could be doing this but they aren't and they never will so I'm hoping someone reading this will be prompted into action to their very own highway.

At the end of our time together we all felt like we had accomplished something and it was so nice to hear a "thank you" from the fire fighters that travel Purnell on way to their fire station daily.

DSCN2927.jpg picture by DonnaWebs - Photobucket
awesome
Im glad you are showing pride in where you live.
It great your a proud North Carolinian.

Old 02-27-2010, 05:54 PM

1,162 posts, read 1,843,059 times
I am not a "green" person by any means but I hate trash and I've never seen anything like the roads in and around the Triangle. What kind of people throw trash out of a car window??? As much as I couldn't stand NJ, you don't see trash like that on the roads. I would be willing to pick up some trash too.

Old 02-27-2010, 06:22 PM

3,861 posts, read 9,273,111 times
We used to have pretty clean roadways when I was a kid/teen. The population exploded and so did the trash. Thanks for the info on swatting a litter bug!

Old 02-28-2010, 05:47 AM

1,495 posts, read 3,273,597 times
Way to go Second Right!

"Trash on the ground, Trash on the ground
Looking like a fool with the trash on the ground"

Old 02-28-2010, 11:49 AM

6,185 posts, read 13,844,098 times
Some newcomers come from a country where littering is simply a way of life. I've read many articles about it. Here's just one: Litter Choking Streets Throughout Mexico

That's just one part of the problem. Another is that NC doesn't have a bottle bill. One senator tried to get one pass, but he's having trouble getting it moving. Big businesses (bottlers and others) are against it.

Another reason might be that when we (by "we" I mean baby boomers) were young, we saw anti-litter commercials all the time on TV. (Remember the Indian and the tear rolling down his face?) I think that taught us that litter was a big deal. No such campaign has been underway for more-recent generations, unfortunately.

Last edited by lovebrentwood; 02-28-2010 at 12:27 PM..

Old 02-28-2010, 12:03 PM

1,162 posts, read 1,843,059 times
Is this all garbage from the car? I can't imagine someone would bring their garbage from home to dump on the roads. So strange. This is where tax money should be used.

Old 02-28-2010, 12:13 PM

36 posts, read 87,660 times
I too am astonished by all the littering on the highways. I am from Cleveland, Ohio and have never, ever seen trash littering the highways as I do here. There are laws in Ohio for littering and they have signs all down the highways, and it is strictly enforced. It is really an embarressment to this city. My relatives that come to visit are really starting to think that this area is dirty because of all the trash they see.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary