U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-01-2010, 11:32 AM

1,169 posts, read 1,129,743 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovebrentwood View Post
Because the litter wasn't an issue a few years ago. And, as I said, because there has been a huge influx of people from a culture where littering is accepted. It's just PART of it, not all of it.
Unfortunately what lovebrentwood says is true. I have seen it over and over again in my neighborhood. I'm not so much interested in blame as in people taking responsibility.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-01-2010, 12:22 PM

8,155 posts, read 18,240,214 times
Interesting topic and interesting thread.

I've not seen too much of it around the areas I have been in for the mainstay of my visit, but I have seen some of it.

Up in the Hartford CT area, it's mostly the "lower income" areas you'll see most of the litter. (And ghettos, neglected property, graffiti etc) I can remember seeing an AA women in Hartford just dump a pile of garbage out of her door and in a rare moment I yelled out "hey, the street is not your dumping ground"...met with "pssshh, what - evah." It's a mindset I can't understand.

Being out around the countryside in NC, it's all be pretty neat...yes the tin roofed shack here and there, but that's not what I'm talking about. Old is different than neglect. By the same token, the "higher income" areas I've been around the Triangle are neat as a pin. So who is the culprit here?

Either way, FWIW as an "outsider" just visiting I see two mindsets in this thread. People like Saluki rolling up sleeves and just doing it. THAT IMHO is the American spirit. The other is "why doesn't the government do something". Oh, they can, they do for the most part in CT and our property taxes are $500-900 per month. They also have "prison crews" working the highways with pretty good results.

I applaud you folks for acting locally and doing something on your own. If/when I end up there, I'll certainly toss my hat in the ring...anything to keep the area "nice" and "low cost". Learn from the Northeast and do your best to not rely on the government for every sniffle as it's an uncontrollable monster that runs away pretty quick.

Oh and we also have a bottle redemption program. I guess it helps a little as the "bums" scour for bottles and cans but mostly they just go into public trash cans and pull them out...The reality is it's become nothing more than a tax. A large percentage of people don't redeem their bottles, but you get 60 cents tagged on to a 12 pack or whatever at the register. The "unclaimed money" goes to orphans...LOL Yea right, it goes back in to the general fund to be piddled away.

In short, the people who are willing to throw a bottle out the window are NOT the people who will take the time to "return" them. It just makes more work for the responsible person to get their money back, or they just pay the "tax".

$0.02

Old 03-01-2010, 12:54 PM

6,185 posts, read 13,887,764 times
Analyzing a problem is one of the first steps in solving a problem.

Old 03-01-2010, 07:43 PM

3,785 posts, read 7,197,450 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovebrentwood View Post
Analyzing a problem is one of the first steps in solving a problem.
If your conclusion is that those people put the litter there, then your solution is . . .

a. require a bottle deposit
b. get rid of those people
c. pick up the trash
d. heavy fines

If you say a and d, then your solution is unrelated to what you say the cause is!

People litter. People fail to secure the contents of their vehicles. Some of them are immigrants. Some are transplants from other parts of the United States. Some are even Southerners!

Old 03-01-2010, 10:38 PM

No, you don't "get rid of" ANYONE. I never implied that.

A campaign to educate EVERYONE would be in order. It's been successfully accomplished in the past.

Bottle deposits, heavy fines, and picking up trash are also parts to the puzzle.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sll3454 View Post
If your conclusion is that those people put the litter there, then your solution is . . .

a. require a bottle deposit
b. get rid of those people
c. pick up the trash
d. heavy fines

If you say a and d, then your solution is unrelated to what you say the cause is!

People litter. People fail to secure the contents of their vehicles. Some of them are immigrants. Some are transplants from other parts of the United States. Some are even Southerners!

Old 03-04-2010, 02:56 PM

1,495 posts, read 3,282,592 times
so...next time you come upon a cyclist ...it may just be a wonderful person from the North Raleigh Gyros that has been out there picking up trash

Old 03-04-2010, 03:19 PM

809 posts, read 1,868,297 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SALUKI_LOVER View Post
so...next time you come upon a cyclist ...it may just be a wonderful person from the North Raleigh Gyros that has been out there picking up trash
Thank you Saluki and North Raleigh Gyros.

and..next time you come upon an older, overweight, white woman waddling down the streets of Wake Forest, it might just be me picking up trash.

Old 03-19-2010, 06:15 AM

Hey Gang
Hubby and me are about to adopt-a-highway number 2 (we don't have kids so we adopt highways)

Would anyone be interested in joining us when we do get out there and start beautifying the road?

We're adopting New Light Road at Old Weaver to Purnell.

I could post when we're going out and if anyone happens to be available we would love to have company.

Old 03-19-2010, 07:57 PM

Thank you and bless your souls! (And I sincerely mean this in the best way possible!)

Be safe!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SALUKI_LOVER View Post
Hey Gang
Hubby and me are about to adopt-a-highway number 2 (we don't have kids so we adopt highways)

Would anyone be interested in joining us when we do get out there and start beautifying the road?

We're adopting New Light Road at Old Weaver to Purnell.

I could post when we're going out and if anyone happens to be available we would love to have company.

Old 03-20-2010, 01:30 PM

Out on my bike ride today and saw several Adopt-A-Highway groups in action so it made me feel really good. With the warmer weather I think we'll see more people out cleaning our roads. Hey, every little bit helps. I just am in love with this place and want to see it looking as beautiful as possible.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary