U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-02-2010, 01:40 PM

64 posts, read 149,180 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by theS5 View Post
Unfortunately for the homeowners in Hasentree, this is not "other parts of the country". Yes, Toll can put up a box in NJ and get top dollar because they have the ability to buy the only overpriced land left to develop. They have been successful at luring people in with soaring ceilings and large master baths, because a truly custom home in NJ is well above the Toll price point. This is not the case here in NC.
It is OK is you live in a Toll home. Not a thing wrong with it. That does not change the fact that the homeowners in Hasentree have just been handed a 40% reduction in the value of their homes.
You are missing my point, but whatever. Actually, now that I think about it, there is at least one "custom" builder in Hasentree who is certainly no better in the detail and finishing department than Toll. They use the same "lure" that you say Toll uses.

And no, I don't live in a Toll House, either.

shoot! No automerge in here.....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-23-2010, 10:28 AM

2 posts, read 4,685 times
Default Hasentree Sale?

Has anyone heard anything new on who might be buying Hasentree? My wife and I looked out there last week, and are interested, but they said there was a deal that was close.

Old 02-24-2010, 01:20 PM

1 posts, read 2,355 times
It's amazing how many people assume so much about a community and it's happening that don't live there.

I live in Hasentree.

Hasentree is a wonderful community that is a victim of bad timing. Am i happy about what has happened? Of course not!

Not everyone looks at a home as an investment or depends on it for their future.

I overpaid for my home given the current state of things. I regularly meet people who got a better 'deal' than i did thanks to recent economic conditions and foreclosures. I congratulate them on being on the right end of the stick.

Truthfully, even if my $1.5million home is worth 33-50% less today, I would still not choose to live anywhere else in the area. The FAC and golf amenities at Hasentree at simply phenomenal and worth every penny, IMHO. My kids, who i care about more than money, are the direct beneficiaries of all that hasentree has to offer.

people, like myself who can afford homes in this price range, are smart enough to find other ways in life to make up for money lost in a home. that's how we got to the stage in life to afford to buy homes like that in the first place.

Will i be happy if $400k homes are built next to me? of course not. Am i happy about Toll Brothers buying Hasentree? I don't know yet. What i do know is that no movement is the worst thing that could happen. Having some movement forward is a good thing.

Only time will tell and i have too many other things that need my attention than something i can't do anything about. What i do know is that i chose hasentree to avoid Brier Creek. So if they find a way to convert Hasentree to Brier Creek then i will eat my losses and move somewhere else.

My undestanding is that the developement is zoned in the watershed and there are only so many houses that can actually be built there. So i am hoping that at least it will limit the number of houses and members - which is what i don't like about Brier Creek.

Old 02-24-2010, 01:31 PM

9,558 posts, read 26,468,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hasentreegolfer View Post
It's amazing how many people assume so much about a community and it's happening that don't live there.

I live in Hasentree.

Hasentree is a wonderful community that is a victim of bad timing. Am i happy about what has happened? Of course not!

Not everyone looks at a home as an investment or depends on it for their future.

I overpaid for my home given the current state of things. I regularly meet people who got a better 'deal' than i did thanks to recent economic conditions and foreclosures. I congratulate them on being on the right end of the stick.

Truthfully, even if my $1.5million home is worth 33-50% less today, I would still not choose to live anywhere else in the area. The FAC and golf amenities at Hasentree at simply phenomenal and worth every penny, IMHO. My kids, who i care about more than money, are the direct beneficiaries of all that hasentree has to offer.

people, like myself who can afford homes in this price range, are smart enough to find other ways in life to make up for money lost in a home. that's how we got to the stage in life to afford to buy homes like that in the first place.

Will i be happy if $400k homes are built next to me? of course not. Am i happy about Toll Brothers buying Hasentree? I don't know yet. What i do know is that no movement is the worst thing that could happen. Having some movement forward is a good thing.

Only time will tell and i have too many other things that need my attention than something i can't do anything about. What i do know is that i chose hasentree to avoid Brier Creek. So if they find a way to convert Hasentree to Brier Creek then i will eat my losses and move somewhere else.

My undestanding is that the developement is zoned in the watershed and there are only so many houses that can actually be built there. So i am hoping that at least it will limit the number of houses and members - which is what i don't like about Brier Creek.

Good post. You are correct about the watershed restrictions.

Old 02-24-2010, 09:43 PM

4 posts, read 10,367 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big M View Post
Wow, thats crazy. Even if Toll did decide to build their high end stuff at Hasentree, I doubt they'd sell much of it as there's so much surplus of expensive inventory around there and adjacent zip codes thats been sitting around for years.

Do I buy local custom builder or do I buy Toll?

M
That depends on which dream you're trying to follow. Having done private construction inspections of houses being built by large track builders (Toll included), I would never buy one, no matter how many glittering features were included. If a dream home is what you are after you will likely choose a custom builder. If a dream home look-alike is what you seek, because you know you'll flip it in 3 years, but you absolutely have to have one to maintain bragging rights by the water cooler - go for the track builder. But that's really sad, all this glitter chasing.

Value of a home, not merely a _house_, is whether it will keep my family secure, healthy, and happy. And when it's also energy efficient so that I don't have to pay a nonsensical $200 for every 1000 sq.ft. in some of these houses per month - even better. That number, by the way, can now be brought down to about $25 for every 1000 sq.ft. per month if your custom builder is paying attention. Put the other $175 in your mortgage.

Old 02-25-2010, 10:00 AM

2 posts, read 4,685 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hasentreegolfer View Post

I live in Hasentree.

The Sales Agent told us that because of the watershed restrictions, the lots would stay the same under the new buyer.

Old 02-26-2010, 06:36 AM

31,691 posts, read 55,513,715 times
Here you go, from today's N&O:

Builder Buys Golf Properties

Old 02-26-2010, 07:49 AM
T|K

868 posts, read 2,114,485 times
Also on WRAL
Toll Brothers buys luxury home development in Wake Forest :: WRAL.com

Old 02-26-2010, 10:15 PM

3 posts, read 4,056 times
It's official in TOLL's website..

Hasentree - New Homes in Wake Forest, NC by Toll Brothers

Old 02-26-2010, 10:27 PM

100 posts, read 253,829 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VickiR View Post
I heard, today, that Toll Brothers has purchased Hasentree. I would like to know if anyone else has heard this or if anyone has any thoughts on this.

Vicki
Anything Toll Brothers is really crap.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary