U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-27-2010, 10:15 PM

9,558 posts, read 26,440,890 times

Advertisements

There is a vacant brick ranch house sitting on about 3/4 of an acre of land on Dunn Road right next to the Bedford community. I drive past this house every day. Every few months I have seen a couple of fire trucks out in front and several fireman calmly walking around the property. I use to think they were there responding to kids messing around and lighting stuff on fire in a vacant house, but I never saw smoke and there never seemed to be a sense of urgency in their actions.

Last week the Falls Fire Department was there on Friday afternoon and then again on Saturday night. A few hours before the fire trucks showed up Sat. night I noticed some firemen in pickup trucks standing around the house talking. Then a few hours later when I drove by on my way home from dinner there were fire trucks and firemen in full gear walking around. Made me think it was some kind of training.

I find it a little strange since it is a privately owned piece of property that is listed for sale. Granted, it is an old house and the for sale sign says the land is zoned to be developed into townhouses so I guess the house will be torn down. I assume this is some kind of training excercise I keep seeing, but all the recent activity has peaked my interest. Anybody have the inside scoop? I this kind of training typical for Wake County firemen?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-27-2010, 10:25 PM

6,185 posts, read 13,860,571 times
I don't think it's unusual for firefighters (not just firemen ) in many communities throughout the country to use old homes for training purposes, if they get the opportunity. I've heard about them for years.

HowStuffWorks "Burn Buildings and Firefighter Ranks"

Quote:
Is this kind of training typical for Wake County firemen?

Old 01-28-2010, 05:40 PM

1,219 posts, read 3,747,719 times
I don't live in Wake County, but where I live, sometimes people will donate a house that needs removal, to the fire dept for training purposes. They will usually use it for awhile to run training drills, and end with lighting the thing completely on fire, lol-it's called a 'controlled burn'. Free training for the firefighters and free structure removal for the owners!

Old 01-28-2010, 06:11 PM

569 posts, read 1,732,358 times
Yes, it is common around here too. I live in Wake Forest and last year there was an old house on Hwy98 that firefighters used for several months of training before it was finally torn down.

Old 01-28-2010, 06:58 PM

2,270 posts, read 8,109,598 times
As already stated, it's not unusual at all. My dad was in Bayleaf Fire Department for most of my childhood. They routinely would use old houses for training.

By the way, if you have any interest in local fire departments, this is a great site: Wake County Fire Department Histories

Old 01-28-2010, 08:53 PM

8,266 posts, read 21,833,404 times
I'm sure it's for training. They did that to a house here in Cary on Reedy Creek Road last year.

Old 01-28-2010, 11:32 PM

1,074 posts, read 2,825,156 times
I assume they obtained permission. Or the town bought it and they don't need permission? You can check ownership on the Wake County tax page.

edit: OK, I poked around. A development company owns 3 lots right in that section - looks like they were owned by the same family and the company bought them out.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary