U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-27-2010, 11:58 PM

1 posts, read 4,597 times

Advertisements

I currently going a two year college and am getting my associates degree. after i would ether like to transfer to ecu or ncsu. My major would be in business administration with a concentration in information technology. I was wondering which school has a better program. Also which one would enable me to be placed in a career easier.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-28-2010, 07:44 AM

2,531 posts, read 7,935,940 times
You're choices:
A flagship state institution with a solid national reputation located in the state capital and one of the research & technology hotbeds of the nation.

A mid-size regional state school with a reputation (whether right or wrong) as a party school located in a mid-sized town in otherwise rural eastern NC.

The difference in cost is almsost nil.

I'm not suggesting ECU is that bad of a school, but it seems to me that if you can get in to NCSU it would be the better choice. Unless, of course, there is something that really draws you to ECU &/or Greenville.

Old 01-28-2010, 09:08 AM

147 posts, read 378,508 times
I can't say anything that mdp hasn't already said perfectly. Doesn't sound like there is much to ponder here.

Old 01-28-2010, 09:49 AM

149 posts, read 371,994 times
Given those choices I'd go with NCSU hands down. You might also consider applying to one of the best undergrad business programs in the country at UNC Chapel Hill. Never hurts to try.

Old 01-28-2010, 10:02 PM

264 posts, read 752,927 times
It depends on your major. If its Nursing/Medical go with ECU. If you want to be a Vet or a Engineer go with State. If you are local which I assume you are , you should know this question easily denigrates into a argument. Go see your Community College advisor.

Old 01-28-2010, 10:05 PM

12 posts, read 29,390 times
Default reply

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdp_az View Post
You're choices:
A flagship state institution with a solid national reputation located in the state capital and one of the research & technology hotbeds of the nation.

A mid-size regional state school with a reputation (whether right or wrong) as a party school located in a mid-sized town in otherwise rural eastern NC.

The difference in cost is almsost nil.

I'm not suggesting ECU is that bad of a school, but it seems to me that if you can get in to NCSU it would be the better choice. Unless, of course, there is something that really draws you to ECU &/or Greenville.
ECU has long stopped being mid-size. I believe that they now have around 28000 students.

Old 12-21-2010, 03:23 AM

232 posts, read 386,252 times
^agreed.

Old 12-21-2010, 07:26 AM

374 posts, read 995,335 times
ECU is bigger than it used to be, and NCSU isn't as much as a "flagship" as it used to be.

I personally chose NCSU over ECU - but that was due to my first major (computer engineering) and the fact that no less than half of my high school graduation class went to ECU.

NCSU's College of Management did just get a $37 million donation from Lonnie Poole and his wife... I think its going to help put NCSU on the map when it comes to business schools. I switched to an accounting major, and enjoyed CoM at State. Its a slightly smaller college than the College of Engineering. I ran into people I knew all the time, but could avoid the ones that irritated me.

I would probably choose NCSU based on the major choice you provided. My reasoning is that you could use your electives to broaden your knowledge on the IT field above and beyond what you'd learn through the concentration.

As for who's going to get the better job... its up to the student. NCSU has a FANTASTIC career placement center and I highly recommend that you take advantage of it. There is a big job fair every fall that is a must. The spring one isn't nearly as big. Professors and advisors can have contacts that can help you out as well, and go to as many networking events as you can.

Old 12-21-2010, 10:01 AM

116 posts, read 323,149 times
It also depends on where you want to live. NCSU is known outside the state, while ECU isn't as much. But I agree with most of the posters, go for NCSU or UNC. (note: I did not go to any of those schools so I have no bias. )

Old 12-21-2010, 10:05 AM

240 posts, read 546,684 times
You might also want to look at UNC-Charlotte. The have great IT programs and a very underrated business school.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary